Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2011, 09:36   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Sugar - How to Keep it from Sticking ?

i havent used granulated white sugar (the stuff that causes reactions with adhd--my son has that) since my 38 yr old son was 7 yrs old. i find raw sugar is much more tasty and doesnt cause the torment the refined to death white tasteless sweet does. easy to un-clump also.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 14:29   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Sugar is very unhealthy. Simply give up on it perhaps.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 15:24   #18

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Sugar is very unhealthy.
Do you have any facts to back up your statement? References to research in scholarly publications? Don't just make a statement like that!
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 16:21   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
When we were in Marathon last winter, the sugar in our sugar shaker kept sticking due to the humidity. I know rice works in the salt shaker, but what can you do with sugar to prevent it from sticking?

Judy
Judy--

For what it's worth, we have kept suger in its original packaging, in in zip-lock bag, in our freezer for many months without difficulty. We only take out so much at a time as might be needed and I have found that honey can be substituted for sugar in a lot of recepies. The nice thing about Honey is that it can be stored forever without deterioration and it tastes good on just about everything. It also has anti-bacterial properties and can be used to treat--protect--wounds. That aside, granulated sugar does well in the freezer and our friends with IP 40's always seem to brag about how efficient their freezers are, so there you go, eh?

Cheers...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 16:25   #20

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb

I don't care for raw or honey or any other substitutes... dry it out in the microwave if you can and use the salteen cracker thing in the shaker... only take out enough to fill the shaker half full and it'll be fine, and I use a LOT of white death... in my coffee in the morning and in my ice tea in the afternoon.
Some of us just don't give a hoot about the health warning about how everything is bad for you...
eat on...
Old 28-08-2011, 17:55   #21
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
You might already be using "sealable" plastic containers (Tupperware, Rubbermaid, etc.) for storing foodstuffs. You will find that these containers come in a million shapes and sizes including ones for salt/pepper and other things. We use a small 3 inch by 2 inch sealable container as a sugar bowl and keep the lid on all the time except when spooning out some sugar. Over the years you get an extensive collection of them on board.
My sugar still clumps in a good container, but I just shake it and break the lumps up if I have to measure accurately.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 18:01   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Sugar-How to keep it from sticking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Making pure cane sugar for over a hundred years in Crockett, CA along Carquinez Strait:

That made me smile Mark.

I go past C&H all the time with the boat. The most common reaction I get from people passing by for the first time is, "They refine sugar there?!!....yuck!" When you get up close it is really grimy and pretty gross looking on the outside. Their reaction makes sense in a way. That building looks more like it for for making paint or cat food or for something else that is not consumable. I would imagine they meet all the health standards though.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 19:06   #23

Re: Sugar - How Do You Keep it from Sticking ?

the brain needs sugar to function, also salt in moderation. so , lets all give sugar up completely and act trendy and stupid.

white death is worse for those with adhd than normal folks. it triggers the adverse reaction in the brain of those suffering that genetic neurological disorder. for those folks, seems raw sugar and things sans preservatives are the best things. for the rest of us-- it doesnt matter.
for diabetics, all carbs are bad after a point.
Old 28-08-2011, 19:47   #24

Oops-Premature send! Trouble with using phones ...
I use a brown sugar bear (ceramic device) I bought to keep brown sugar from clumping. I wonder if anyone has tried it on white sugar? Should work if you don't soak it.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 20:06   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the brain needs sugar to function, also salt in moderation. so , lets all give sugar up completely and act trendy and stupid.

white death is worse for those with adhd than normal folks. it triggers the adverse reaction in the brain of those suffering that genetic neurological disorder. for those folks, seems raw sugar and things sans preservatives are the best things. for the rest of us-- it doesnt matter.
for diabetics, all carbs are bad after a point.
I know a whole lot about AD/HD and would disagree with you. It's been tested when people were told their children were given sugar but actually were given a placebo. The parents, believing their children had had sugar, then "saw" the children misbehaving more. The parents who thought their children had received the placebo reported no change, but actually those were the children who got sugar.

ALL brains need sugar, and it makes no difference to the brain whether it's fructose, or refines sugar, or raw sugar, or sugar that came from carrots or other veggies.

The preservatives thing has also been disproven. I had fourteen students on the Feingold diet over the years. 13 out of 14 parents saw a difference but we did not see it at school. The 14th parent was the parent of a child with a lot of difficulties, and she knew the diet had not helped her son. She was the only one who didn't buy into it.

If it worked I'd be at the head of the parade. It just isn't true.
Old 28-08-2011, 20:14   #26

honey, i WATCHED what my kid did on different chemicals in foods. i did not listen to the palabras of others who allegedly know a lot about it. my son HAS it.l lol. i have ADD i KNOW what certain chemicals do to me. you might be able to sell some new mommy who is young and inexperienced on your theories, but i WATCHED and i LISTENED to the kid as he described what the chemicals did to him and how he felt.
i didnt use trendy diets or wtfs on him--i just eliminated the bs in his foods--no preservatives, no msg, no refined sugar, no processed foods. no chocolate. was a gas raising him as a single parent with looong shifts to work. the bs you wrote might be true for SOME of the adhd kids-- but not all are same. is the problem with usa and school systems and child protection.
Old 28-08-2011, 20:34   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
honey, i WATCHED what my kid did on different chemicals in foods. i did not listen to the palabras of others who allegedly know a lot about it. my son HAS it.l lol. i have ADD i KNOW what certain chemicals do to me. you might be able to sell some new mommy who is young and inexperienced on your theories, but i WATCHED and i LISTENED to the kid as he described what the chemicals did to him and how he felt.
i didnt use trendy diets or wtfs on him--i just eliminated the bs in his foods--no preservatives, no msg, no refined sugar, no processed foods. no chocolate. was a gas raising him as a single parent with looong shifts to work. the bs you wrote might be true for SOME of the adhd kids-- but not all are same. is the problem with usa and school systems and child protection.
Both my children had it as well. What I'm saying is that your son would have reacted to the chemicals without the AD/HD.

Excuse me, but I didn't call anything you posted "bs" -- I just disagreed with you. That's allowed.
Old 28-08-2011, 20:52   #28

there is a lot of bs published and unpublished about add and adhd. isnt just postings--is the trendy , unbacked bs printed without any basis.
this also is true about the diets that make females unable to produce eggs. it also goes for the diets that kill folks because they believe the individual writing them is intelligent, bu tdoesnt take into consideration electrolytes and physiological needs.. trendy kills. watching and listening doesnt kill. can actually help the kid , doesnt matter what the RECOMMENDED bs diet is-- it doesnt always work that way.
my nieces and nephews did not react to foods and the additives in them same way my son did. only difference was the adhd. he is now 38 and on his own. he still notices differences. add and adhd are for life, not just childhood.

the WORST individuals who tried to allegedly teach my son were ignorant as devils about add and adhd, and school systems actually gave kids the items that truly did turn my son into something unable to be taught, right before their eyes. the condition is neurological. chemicals do make the reactions occur. glad you believe otherwise. is not proven by only 14 kids. has to be more than 100 in each of the test groups, including a double blind. 14 doesnt prove or disprove anything.
Old 28-08-2011, 21:42   #29

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

A bit off topic but....
Does anyone use xylitol? Xylitol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maybe it doesn't stick as much ;-) (back on topic)

Extemp.
Old 28-08-2011, 23:57   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
My sugar still clumps in a good container, but I just shake it and break the lumps up if I have to measure accurately.
Some Turkish woman taught me not to use plastic containers (or containers with plastic lids) for storing sugar or baking stuff as humidity has a way of seeping through - "you wouldn't conserve your preserves in them, would you?". A good glass jar with tight closing glass lid works well. I store large quantities in vacuum sealed bags (the kind that come with vacuum sealer as they don't let the air through).

Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote