Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 19:27   #1

Boat: Shannon Agean 51'
Stove Suggestions?

Hello all!

I have to replace an old Hiller stove on the boat.

First of all does anyone have any suggestions on what they have and either love or hate? Does anyone have any thoughts on Dickensen Stoves over Force 10?

I have an issue of Depth that will be hard to deal with....Currently a depth of 19" before having to make some cabinet modifications

Any advice would be appreciated
emlesnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:25   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Stove Suggestions?

Iv'e had three marine stoves:

The first was a French one which turned out to have alloy gas piping which corroded and the stove burst into flames, in the wrong places, one day.

I replaced it with a Broadwater which was a fantastic little stove with exceptional build quality. The problem with it was that the manufacturer, a large domestic stove manufacturer, went out of the marine stove business and parts became very difficult to find.

The stove I have now is a Force 10 which I am slowly learning to live with, but I am certain will never be impressed with because of it's tinny build quality and poor design.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:54   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Don't know where you are or how deep your pockets are but this is what I dream of having https://www.gn-espace.com/yacht-gall...okers/levante/

Specs suggest 19.5 inches deep...

A mate has one... I have a Smev ( Dometic ) 3 burner .... it is OK ( the first Smev I had lasted 20 years ) but the gimbals are 'caravan quality'.........

My next one will be a Levante... I think they are standard fit on Rustlers ...
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:35   #4

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

I installed a Force 10 about 6 months ago and have been very impressed with the unit. They have a large variety of models and dimensions.

suremarineservice.com is a very good information source
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:01   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

This is EU oriented, and Force 10 is out - it is owned by Eno.

Eight of the best marine cookers
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:06   #6

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Our boat came with a propane Force 10. We used it for a while, then replaced it with a Dickensen. There is a huge difference in the amount of heat as the Dickensen has larger burners. This is especially noticeable when baking.

We've had Dickensen diesel stoves on boats for decades. They're a standard in the Alaska fishing fleet. Dickensen quality control and customer service are top notch.

Cheers,
Old 03-08-2018, 05:10   #7

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

We have a 2 burner Force 10 on Rocinante - my only other experience is with an old alcohol stove on our first boat, a Catalina 30, so I can’t compare to others as it relates to build quality, etc.

What I can say is that we’re very happy with ours. We use it every single day and on most days, cook 3 meals on it, and I’m not talking Ramen!

We also bake our own bread, pastries, biscuits, etc.

Now broiling is an issue; it works extremely well, but the broiling area is very, very small! I can broil 1 ribeye steak, but that’s about it, so I’ve taken to using a castiron skillet on the stovetop instead... only use the broiler to melt cheese on my sandwiches, broil the occasional kielbasa and stuff like that.

Ours is (approximately) 14” deep, 19” high & 19” wide - don’t recall the model number.

Good luck!

Tags
stove