Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 06:41   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Stove Designs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Who designs boat stoves? Do any of them do any cooking?
I have a nice Force 10 3 burner stove/oven. . .
Living on a recreational sailing vessel is an exercise in "down sizing." Everything is smaller and more compact as there just isn't that much room available as you have in a land house with a kitchen bigger than most boat interiors.

- - There are at least a dozen marine stove/oven makers out there so you can choose the one that best fits your needs.

- - Basically they all have the same overall dimensions because otherwise they would not fit in the "standard" space in a boat galley. If they built the units to different sizes their markets would be severely limited. Who would want to redo all the cabinets and counters in their boat for a "different" sized stove/oven.

- - Few if any marine stove ovens are "insulated" on the sides which are normally double wall stainless steel. These units sit usually an inch (2.54mm) or so from a wooden cabinet wall. Free air spaces are needed to keep the stainless steel shell cool enough that it does not "cook" the walls and possibly start a fire. Additionally, the high humidity, salt air environment would quickly saturate most insulating material and make them less efficient. Temperature variations can be minimized by keeping a stone slab in the bottom of the oven to absorb and distribute the heat over a wider interior area.

- - Living and cooking on a boat (other than power yachts) is a new experience and requires some "re-education." Pots and pans need to be smaller in diameter (and taller if you want the same volume). Cast Iron frying pans work well as due the old copper-clad thick bottom pans.

- - If you examine the marine cookware sets in most marine parts/supply stores you will see obvious differences from classical land kitchen pots and pans. It is rare that your previous land kitchen ware will work well on a boat.

- - Welcome to the miniature world of "living on the slant."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:22   #17

Boat: Privilege 37

First the good news

I have a 3 burner, and have happily had a big frypan plus 2 other saucepans at work, and all centred on their burner.

Now the bad news

I have no idea who made it, but it was original equipment on my Privilege 37.

I suppose one of these days I will have to see if the sidewalls etc actually fit, as they look as if they have never been used.

As for the oven, I use a panasonic microwave / convection oven, and it works really well! The original gas oven was removed in order to allow fit of my dishwasher.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:45   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in my formosa i lined my cabinet space with metal before placing my force 10 stove-- dissipates the heat well.also keeps stuff from falling into bilges....
i use the same saucepan for frying and sauces and popcorn and rice and pasta and ....
i also have a pressure cooker and a fry pan and a dutch oven the frying pan and dutch oven share a common lid--and both are cast iron. dutch oven has legs, so i dont use it much, but the fry pan does great when i feel like working out...also does an excellent job of cookery. grammaw had it right!!!!
i usually make all my meals essentially one pan /1 pot meals, and all is awesome.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 00:39   #19

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

We have an ENO 4-burner stove. The sidewalls are not removable, so experience the common problem of large pots and pans being off-center over the burners -- especially the large burner. A pot or skillet larger than 10-inch diameter must be off-centered over the large burner. But using good cookware makes cooking off-center not a problem at all. In the worst case scenario, simply turn the skillet or pot around if one side is cooking too hot/fast and the food cannot be stirred or rearranged. I have not found this to be a problem at all. And I have often cooked on all 4 burners at once with varying sizes of pans.

However, my only complaint about this ENO stove is the oven -- maybe. I vacillate between liking it and not liking it. The gas burner for the oven is mounted on the rear side of the oven rather on the bottom of the oven as is normal. When baking something, the pan or cookie sheet always must be turned around during baking so that the food cooks evenly. If I forget to turn it around, then the back side of the pan closest to the fire will be overcooked and the door-side of the pan will be undercooked. I learned to solve this problem by setting a kitchen timer for about 2/3 of a recipe's recommended baking time; then turn the pan around; and re-set the timer for the remaining recommended baking time per the recipe or experience. This works fine but is a PITA when baking on a cookie sheet in a rolly anchorage.

I think I don't like having the burner on the rear wall of the stove. But our previous boat had a Force 10 with the burner on the bottom of the oven -- and that caused baked items to burn easily unless placed on the top shelf of the oven rather than in the middle or lower shelves.

Finding the perfect boat stove remains elusive for me. I don't think there is one.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:26   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Stove Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I changed ovens a few months ago and put in an Eno of the same measurements as the Eno before.
Its fine.

2 burner stove and oven without a grill as the grill takes a fair bit of the oven space.

A nice new one certainly makes cooking a pleasure and cleaning easy
I installed an Eno a couple years ago and have been very pleased. Looks good too!

Force 10 Eno 2-Burner LPG Open Sea Stove With Oven
Old 12-10-2011, 03:49   #21

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)

i have a novel solution - some parts yet to be tried. i hate gas as i think it is inconvenient, so ~
1 i have binned the gas unit
2 i rescued a large weber bbq from a verge collection. we'll use it for bbq, as an oven, etc on nice days, which is most in oz
3 we just got a halogen electric pot oven, ($49.95) which is a large 16L pyrex dish oven with fan halogen top fitting, running off mains electricity at c 1200W. it also toasts, grills.... i use mains power but when needed i'll use the genny.
its all quite space-effective, and saves on washing up
4 i also hav a large mains s/s pot to make stews, chowder, jam, etc - same principle
5 we have an electric kettle too
6 i would like a new kettle solution to avoid starting the genny for a cuppa...

solid fuel ideas dried seaweed etc ~
i once read of a solid fuel kettle which is like a large s/s thermos which you stuff some leaves and twigs into the bottom of- boils in 2 minutes!

any other solid fuel oven/stovetop solutions would be interesting, preferably one which keeps the heat INSIDE unless we want central heating in the coolest weather. a vented and insulated solid fuel stove would be great, especially with a water heater....
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:46   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

try adding a pizza stone to the oven
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 23:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
try adding a pizza stone to the oven
Where can I find a pizza stone small enough for a boat oven?

Judy
Old 15-10-2011, 23:18   #24

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

use a large terracotta tile for a pizza stone
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 04:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Where can I find a pizza stone small enough for a boat oven?
Judy
Easiest way is to drive up and down the highway and find a stone "grave marker" company. In their "stone" yard is a huge variety of various marbles, etc. Pick a style, color you like and they will cut it into the dimensions of your stove's oven.
- - Mine is 1" thick and is also useful for baking bread, etc. as it holds and distributes the burner heat across the interior of the oven.
Old 16-10-2011, 04:51   #26

I had a couple of pizza stones in our kitchen before we moved aboard. But gave those to our son because these were far too large for a boat oven. Those stones were quite different from marble or granite. They were very porous. If any old stone will work, then I will just pick up a stone here in Cyprus and give it a try.

Judy
Old 16-10-2011, 07:15   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Most Flooring Outlets And Big Box Stores (Home Depot) will have unglazed quarry tiles
in 6" x 6" and/or 12" square sizes.

The "unglazed" part is very important. Some glazes are made from lead, which you don't want in contact with your bread. Unglazed tiles are generally regarded as safe.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 07:39   #28

Boat: islandpacket

take your pizza stone to a tile shop and have them cut it down. They cut tile at lowes and home depot.
Old 17-10-2011, 00:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
take your pizza stone to a tile shop and have them cut it down. They cut tile at lowes and home depot.
Oh, you folks back in the States have life so easy! There is no such business as Lowes or Home Depot here in Cyprus. Nothing remotely resembling those type of businesses.

I'll find some kind of unglazed stone next time we have the rent car to scour the local villages. This should help distribute the heat inside the oven away from the rear side-mounted burner.

thanks,

Judy
S/V BeBe
Old 17-10-2011, 04:47   #30

What brand/model is that stove/oven with the read-side mounted burner? I would like to look it up as it does seem to be a rather strange configuration.
Thanks,