Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2018, 13:27   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Storing wine aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
Does anyone here have suggestions on storing wine for longish periods of time aboard? I have some nice wine in my collection that I would like to bring along for extended cruises but I have real concerns with how they can be stored. Breakage is an obvious concern but easily mitigated. The main concern for me is avoiding spoilage. I have had bottles skunk quickly when kept down below in such a humid environment for more than a couple of months and I would really hate to see some of these spoil in that way. No room for a wine fridge so that isn't really an option.
Hi, svspirited,

Honestly, if you really enjoy your good quality wines, you have a problem. As long as we are not in really warm water, between 42 S. and about 25 S., we can keep bottled wines against the hull below the water line. But, we spend summers in Tasmania, and winters further north, so we are not where the really warm water is.

Large socks make nice clink stoppers, but the wines really don't care much for being shaken up; and they detest warm water around them.

What I really think, is that you should create occasions to drink up your good wines before you leave, if you're going to be away long term, and content yourself with buying really good ones at the ports you arrive in, where the wines have been stored properly. Recommence the prize wine cellar when you have somewhere to keep it. I'm pretty sure this isn't what you wanted to hear, but if you cannot control the temp, I'm afraid you will ruin some lovely wine.

Ann
Old 17-02-2018, 18:38   #17

Ann is right - again :-0)! Drink the stuff, or keep it ashore. Port is traditional. So is Rum. both are quicker than wine, too.

Someone mantioned "Norwegian 'Linear' Akvavit". Typo, no doubt, but the name is "linje Akvavit". Just your standard Akvavit with a twist of marketing added. Legend - and legend it is - has it that the stuff has been "enhanced" by slopping about in a ship all the way from Oslo to the Straits of Magellan and back again, i.e. it has crossed "the line". Don't you believe it. Tho, of course, it did cross the loading dock from the warehouse into the delivery truck.

It doesn't matter how long you ' age" that stuff, or where you take it. It produces, in MySaintedFather's words, a sensation "like having a piece or red hot barbed wire drawn through your gullet". Leave it to the Scovegians :-) Tho, come to think of it, MSF also said that to make a REALLY good cuppa coffee, you brew the coffee really, really strong from a dark roast. Then you put a penny in the bottom of your cup and pour in the coffee till you can see the penny no more. Then you pour in akvavit till you can see it again :-)

But back to utility wine: We use socks as many do. And pre-voyage we transfer the stuff to bottles with screw tops, so we can keep the half of the bottle for the next night. Corks are a pain to put back in. I know this is rank heresy and crass in the extreme. We compensate by always setting a decent dinner table c/w decent porcelain and silverware. And glass glasses. A bit of a pain, but a chap has to draw the line somewhere :-)!

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 18:47   #18

Boat: Bristol 53.3, 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
... drums of epoxy....
HAHAHAHA!
jkimbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 19:11   #19

Boat: Outbound 44

Depending where you are traveling lots of countries have low allowable quantities that you can bring in by boat. Canada, Fiji and Australia to mention a few. It would sux to have your high priced wine confiscated or charged an outlandish import duty.
Old 18-02-2018, 22:55   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

I'm in the process of building a wine store in the bilge on top of the ballast. I have cut 6" sections of 3 1/2" poly down pipe which I am fixing in place using pour in 2 pack polyurethane foam.

I figure the wine is better stored upright as any sediment should remain on the bottom of the bottle. Cork dry-out is not a problem as all the wines I now drink have twist off caps.

We all have to make compromises when we take up living on boats.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:02   #21

Boat: 1983 31' Hunter

I fabricated a "wine rack" for our boat using a storage (milk) crate and 4" dia PVC drain pipe cut into 8" sections and zip tied to each other and the crate. It holds 8 bottles. We place the bottles inside tube socks before placing in the rack. Works great for most standard wine and liquor bottles.
sharkwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote