Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2006, 12:38   #1
cruiser

Stokelys products

I just got a bad case of botulism from eating a Stokelys canned product this past winter.I ate it at 8pm and began the dry heaves at 4 am. I swallowed a large amount of water after each session of dry heaves , which flushed it all out. After several sesions I was barfing up clear water. If I hadn't done that I'd have probably died.I was wrecked for several weeks after.It's more effective than the best stomach pump.
Best steer clear of Stokelys products for a while, or for good if you want to play it safe.
Brent
Old 23-07-2006, 03:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Botulism is a Reportable Disease in most jurisdictions.

Botulism is fatal in approximately 8% of those affected who receive professional treatment, including life-saving ventilator support if needed. Without treatment, more than half of botulism poisonings would be fatal.

Symptoms usually appear between 12 to 36 hours after consuming contaminated food.

The main treatments for botulism includes antibiotics, an antitoxin (a chemical antidote to the toxin), and good nursing support and physician care, sometimes in an intensive care unit, with machine support by a ventilator as needed to assist breathing. If antitoxin is given early in the course of the disease, it will prevent further paralysis from the toxin, but it does not affect symptoms that are already present. Medicines that cause vomiting, or treatments such as enemas are used to remove undigested food from the gut. Physical therapy can be helpful in aiding recovery of muscle strength.

Old 23-07-2006, 13:46   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I just got a bad case of botulism from eating a Stokelys canned product this past winter....Best steer clear of Stokelys products for a while,"

That seems a wee bit harsh to say the least. It sounds like you got food poisoning but didn't confirm in any way that it was botulism--which you can get from any canned food, from any vendor, and even from foods you put up in the fridge at home. Chop up a head of garlic, put it in oil and put the bottle in the fridge. A month latter you should have a nice toxic bottle of botulism from this common home "preserve".

To not have it tested, not have it confirmed, and not have a public warning put out for the lot number if it was indeed botulism, borders on negligence.

Always test canned foods to see if the can is swollen, or if pressure comes out from the can when you open it. If it does, discard it, the gas is a sign of toxins.
Old 24-07-2006, 03:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Were you referring to Stokely Van Camp products?
I cannot find any recent reports of Botulism (nor any health risks) associated with Van Camp products; nor any recent (2006, 2005) reported case of commercial food-born Botulism in British Columbia.

Old 24-07-2006, 09:30   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
Not to belittle the experience, but I think a bad case of botulism = dead. It is one of the better not weapons grade toxins out there.
Old 23-11-2006, 14:47   #6
cruiser

Stokelys

Ate the beans .Got very sick later that night . I ate nothing in the previous 36 hours which could have caused the problem. Draw your own conclusions. You've been warned. I plan to heed the warning . What you do is up to you.So are the consequences. I wouldn't put anything aboard that I have such doubts about
Old 23-11-2006, 15:35   #7
Kai Nui

Good for you Brent. I ate a pie frm McD's once about 20 years ago, and got really sick that evening. Damn, if I had your conviction, I would probably be 50 pounds lighter and in much better health The doc, of course, tried to tell me it was a stomach flu, but I know better! I am sure it is the corporate giants out to get me. I think you should find that can and hire an expensive lawyer. Anything less would be a disservice to all the consumers that might be poisened from this terrible misdeed.

Old 23-11-2006, 19:03   #8

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel
I just got a bad case of botulism from eating a Stokelys canned product this past winter
Best steer clear of Stokelys products for a while, or for good if you want to play it safe.
Brent
Aren't the moderator's supposed to be bumping these style of negative comment's, or at least giving the manufacturer a chance to respond?

Seems I read that in a section about propelors I believe.

Dave
Old 21-12-2006, 18:59   #9
cruiser

Food problems

My Niece was about 5 years old when her father was driving her past a McD's. She read the sign, then turned to her father and asked "Dad, What does 5 million survived mean."
He laughed so hard he had to pull over.
Brent
Old 21-12-2006, 21:01   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Aren't the moderator's supposed to be bumping these style of negative comment's, or at least giving the manufacturer a chance to respond?

Seems I read that in a section about propelors I believe.

Dave
This is a consumable not a piece of equipment. It's gone, there is no way to prove either way what is true/false. These are accusations that are in jest. Nothing can really come of them. It has expired. Just words out of the mouth of someone who has assumed. No evidence left. No product left.

I hope this doesn't start another loooooong drawn discussion again. If so, I'll just delete it!!!!!!!!! And take the heat
Old 21-12-2006, 21:04   #11

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
I'd forgotten all about it, no comments from me.

Merry Chrissy to you Del, have a safe one

Dave
Old 25-12-2006, 10:34   #12

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Try this guys.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel
I just got a bad case of botulism from eating a Stokelys canned product this past winter.......Best steer clear of Stokelys products for a while, or for good if you want to play it safe.
Brent
Thanks Louis,

OBTW, what was the product? (beans, potted meat.. etc?)
Old 26-12-2006, 15:06   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Symptoms of botulism can include: double-vision, droopy eyelids, altered voice, trouble with speaking or swallowing, and paralysis on both sides of the body that progresses from the neck down, possibly followed by difficulty in breathing. Anyone experiencing these symptoms should seek immediate medical attention."
FDA News Release
The US Food & Drug Administration, in a release about carrot juice.

"(Studio) FDA (Food and Drug Administration) withdraws warning with regard to botulism of Stokely-Van Camp Incorporated product. Company spokesperson cites money lost but felt FDA (Food and Drug Administration) warning necessary. "
Botulism Reports (CBS) from the Vanderbilt Television News Archive
Apparently an INCORRECT warning from 1971.
The FDA's Use of Adverse Publicity
Further discussed as to the damage these false warnings can do.

this is not to say LR didn't have food poisoning, or some type of reaction, but to turn that into a botulism warning or a warning against SVC is a bit much. You can drop or dent a can of almost anything and make the food toxic. And if you've never had a can of tomato sauce explode in the cabinet...Congratulations on rotating your inventory.<G>
Old 26-12-2006, 15:32   #14
GreatKetch

If you are barfing it is NOT botulism.

Botulism is a paralizing neuotoxin, not a gastro-intestinal infection. Not only do you not vomit, but you likely CAN'T.

Although the botulism toxin is highly potent on a gram for gram basis, it is actually relatively unusual that enough of it is generated to be fatal. That said, if you really think you might have ingested botulism toxin, you need to be in a hospital... NOW! In fact, any kind of violent food reactions should induce you to seek immediate medical treatment if at all possible.

There are two reasons for this, one is for you own well being, since as we have seen in this thread self-diagnosis can be very wrong, and the other is so that the health authorities can be alerted to the issue and hopefully take action before others get ill from the same source un-necessarily.

Old 03-01-2007, 15:57   #15
cruiser

Stokelys

Withthe huge number of brands of products available, why would anyone buy one which is doubtful in any way, especially to be consumed far from any kind of medial help? I'd be inclined to play it safe. Make your own choices , and live with the consequences, consequences you have no right to risk your crew with
Brent.
Closed Thread