Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 15:31   #16

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Stainless Steel Tea Kettle

Rats! Tell you what, find me one and I'll call you whatever you like.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 15:52   #17

Boat: Adams 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Rats! Tell you what, find me one and I'll call you whatever you like.

Had a feeling you might make me an offer along those lines, Roy, so I did a search on eBay.com.au and on Gumtree for a Broadwater Kettle and there was neither sight nor hint of one. I'll keep my eyes posted and let you know if I spot one. Don't hold your breath. Those who've got them rarely let them get away.
Ozwizz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 15:57   #18

I notice you are a drylander, for the time being. Would you like me to care for yours until you get reestablished? I'm just trying to be noble, here, of course.
Old 10-06-2015, 16:03   #19

Never dreamed of anything other than a noble intention. However, my cuppa would never be the same even on dry land without the trusty Broadwater. However much I like and honour the sincerity of your offer, my kettle stays right here.
Old 11-06-2015, 15:32   #20
cruiser

Try Etsy for kettles, quite a selection, including revere
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 20:30   #21

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Stainless Steel Tea Kettle

http://www.amazon.com/Tk-250-Quickon...s+steel+kettle

"Since it is large base area, it excels in stability, and compared with the conventional kettle, it can boil early with the structure of telling heat efficiently. Since owner magnetism stainless steel is used for the bottom, use also to an induction heating cooker is possible. A polish is polite finish of specular surface processing. Since it pours and the root of a mouth is not welded, it is a beautiful result. Manufactures are a place of production of stainless steel processing, and Japanese Tsubame-shi, Niigata."

I could not have said it better.

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 11-06-2015, 21:27   #22

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We use an English-made tea kettle called Simplex. Terribly expensive but boils a cup of water in less than a minute, thanks to a unique set of heat-absorbing coils built into the base. What we have saved in propane has more than justified the cost. Our model is heavily chromed and still looks like new after almost 20 years.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:01   #23

My problem with kettles occurs at home when I can't hear the whistle. On the boat I've has a kettle which has lasted decades compared to months on land where I typically will burn them down. I prefer one I can reach inside and clean... and the wider the base the better.

I'd like to get another one of these...
Attached Images

Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:12   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"It stays on the stove even when other straight sided pots want to abandon ship."
Dunno, we had a cheap enameled or painted aluminum, Regal I think? That sat on a gimbaled single burner Korean butane stove (butane on a boat?!) and when the boat broke fee of the mooring and holed both sides while exploring some rocks....
Wouldn't you know the dear little tea kettle was sitting undisturbed and nonplussed, waiting to do what it always did and offer a nice cuppa to whoever needed one?

Sorry, guys, I'm all in favor of "better" but $200 for a tea kettle...might as well call Starbucks and ask for delivery.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 17:54   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We use an English-made tea kettle called Simplex. Terribly expensive but boils a cup of water in less than a minute, thanks to a unique set of heat-absorbing coils built into the base. What we have saved in propane has more than justified the cost. Our model is heavily chromed and still looks like new after almost 20 years.

Fair winds and calm seas.

Thanks. Researched these and purchased a used one on eBay for a fraction of the cost. Hoping it is as good as it sounds. I have been through several that either rust, top is hard to place, whistle breaks etc.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum M. Gray Pacific Seacraft 31
sophiedaisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 18:43   #26

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Yes on the Simplex; I've used mine at home for decades. There are two models, with and with out the coils; go for the coils for use with open flame. Probably the best tea kettle ever made.

If you're an art deco fan, you might like the Richard Sapper kettle; it's the one we use on the boat because I love the harmonic whistle and there's no lid to deal with. More expensive than the commonplace, but a small price to pay for beauty. eBay usually has them: Alessi Harmonica Melodic Tea Kettle Richard Sapper | eBay

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 06:50   #27

Oh frabjous day! I am now the owner and possessor of a Broadwater kettle. No more groveling and begging before the haughty Aussies and Kiwis, no more lurking about the dark corners of Ebay, I may be the only Yank with such a treasure. But it has a flaw, which I hope someone might be able to help correct: the whistle doesn't work well. Is there some tea drinking engineer out there who understands the design and tuning of tea kettle whistles?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7634[1].jpg
Views:	201
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	108036  
Old 28-08-2015, 07:01   #28

Roy M wrote: "I am now the owner and possessor of a Broadwater kettle"

Okay, Roy, I'll bite...

How did you manage to get one? I was under the impression that you lot over there were banned from owning Broadwater's finest. Oops, that's a secret I wasn't supposed to share. Ah well, better than having you grovel and beg, I suppose.

Anyway, I'd really like to know how you happened upon one of these gems.

David
Old 28-08-2015, 07:33   #29

Found it, and it's not as simple as it seems: How the kettle got its whistle | University of Cambridge.

And my kettle, it turns out, simply had a blockage in the orifice. Cleaned, now, slick as a whistle. And it has a piercing tone.

Ozwizz54: I am a truly fortunate guy. I helped out a friend who has a Broadwater stove AND a kettle. One day, she invited me over and presented me with a gift in a bag. You guessed it!. Now, if I can get a jillion of them fabricated by the Chinese I will be able to corner the market and finally go cruising, maybe as far as Aussielandia.
Old 28-08-2015, 08:39   #30

this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Tk-250-Quickon...s+steel+kettle

is perfect

Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel