Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 14:47   #1

Spearguns

All I've come across so far are some dated threads that allude to possible laws.

Specifically: who has a speargun on board while cursing and have you run into issues or problems with customs in various places?
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:55   #2

Boat: Celestial 48
Re: Spearguns

while cursing?
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
while cursing?
Haha. Thanks for that.

Cruising, cursing. Sometimes it's synonymous
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:19   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Never a problem with Customs, but some fisheries do not allow spearguns.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:23   #5

Some places will let you use a sling but not a band gun. In Mexico (at least around here, but there are different rules around the country) only Mexican citizens can spear fish or get lobster. The joke is "don't spear fish until after 5pm", because the enforcement guys work banker hours.

I think most places won't let you scuba and spear at the same time although not a lot of people do that anyway. Bubble noise machines and all that.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:41   #6

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

[QUOTE=rebel heart;1354997] only Mexican citizens can spear fish QUOTE]

I have never heard that for Mexico. where is around here?
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:53   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have spear guns, slings and pole spears on board. Have never had a problem with customs anywhere in the Caribbean. Technically, Bonaire requires one to hand over their spear gun (and flare gun and several other things) to be returned to you when you leave. However, we were never asked about them (just a general "do you have any guns onboard") so did not bother.

Many, if not most, places in the Caribbean that people go to ban spear fishing of any type. In the Eastern Carib, it doesn't matter because there are no fish left to spear anyway. The Western Carib is hit and miss for spear fishing - both legally and abundantly. If you are one to travel to remote places in the Carib, and you have good free-diving skills (30-70' and over a minute breath), then the spearfishing is fantastic Fish | East of the Equator | M&M

In the Bahamas, only slings and pole spears allowed, but the fishing is very good there.

I have never found anywhere that it is legal to spearfish with scuba gear.

And to be absolutely clear - we do not spear fish where not allowed, and follow all laws of a country regarding fishing and snorkeling/diving.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:57   #8

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Increasingly places that are popular dive sites prevent tourists from using spear guns, in part to preserve the fish for viewing and part to preserve the profit from the fish for locals.

Bonaire requires cruisers to check in their spearguns along with firearms upon arrival, must not dive wearing gloves, and must pay a nominal fee for a dive permit. My brother just got back from the Caymans and said that only locals can hunt lionfish with spearguns.

I do have a collapsed emergency sling in my abandon ship bag. I have never used it, and haven't reported it either. I would probably check it in if I went back, just to be correct, but for me it is strictly emergency equipment.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:09   #9

[QUOTE=Ofer;1355008]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
only Mexican citizens can spear fish QUOTE]

I have never heard that for Mexico. where is around here?
I think it's just the Puerto Escondido / Lareto area. There's a special zone of some type around here. Our friends on Lunasea got their kayaks (and spear guns) seized by the local game wardens.
Old 02-10-2013, 17:40   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Kayaks? You are not even allowed to paddle around? What about dinghies? How do you get to shore?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:30   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
We have speargun, sling and rods aboard. We fish for consumption only. Normally what we catch with the rods while underway is plenty so we don't use the rest much. We found that where there is no fish left, all was taken by the locals; most take anything incl. langustine females with eggs etc. It's pretty sad but it is how it is.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Kayaks? You are not even allowed to paddle around? What about dinghies? How do you get to shore?

Mark
They got their kayaks seized because they were spearfishing. Fishing violations (at least in California and Pacific Mexico) tend to end up in forfeiture of gear and vessels.
Old 02-10-2013, 20:40   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

MB, check the regulations (or noonsite.com) for the places you intend to go. The use and possession of things are regulated separately, so you can probably carry a Hawaiian sling anywhere, although some venues will arrest you if it is used, or simply on deck looking like it has been used.

On the other hand a speargun, powered by slings or compressed air, etc., and having a trigger release mechanism, is classified as a FIREARM even in many US states, where law enforcement tends to ignore that as long as it is kept on a boat or in the water. Anything that "propels" "launches" or "fires" some type of "missile" or "projectile" by any means of stored energy, is classified as a firearm in many jurisdictions. Enforcement varies, but if the law says it is a firearm, you can worry about being caught with one.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:35   #14

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

From the Virgin Islands National Park regulations:

"Possession or use of any type of spearfishing equipment within park boundaries is prohibited"
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 00:34   #15

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

I have found that disabling your speargun by removing the shaft and zip tying the mechanism is more than sufficient to enter areas that spearguns are not allowed. For instance the Dry Tortugas, spearguns were forbidden but allowed if disabled. There are also several areas around in the Keys were spearguns are not permitted, but if they are disabled are no problem.

Disclaimer: Other countries might not be as forgiving