Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2013, 04:29   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Why do you want your drinks to be fizzy !! What's wrong with lemonade

Dave
Old 24-04-2013, 06:13   #17

Boat: 2012 Leopard 44
Re: Sodastream Review?

Soda Stream has the Diet Coke down pat but not quite on with the Diet DP but ok. We are cruising the Caribbean and have seen Coke or the like for as much as $8.99 for a 12 pack and the cheapest so far is $5.99. And we lucked out and found that in Cruz Bay, St John, USVI - and it was very scarce for down here, Diet DP.

The problem is, we have yet to find co2 down here - they have never even heard of Soda Stream, and that includes Puerto Rico and the USVI's. We are thinking we will take our 2 empty bottles home to the states for refill when we go home soon but not sure if we can bring filled bottles on the airplane.
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 13:33   #18
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Not sure if I'd know the difference with Cokes but I do love the concentrates with plain water. Got rid of the carbonizer because of expense/hassle in getting refills but the re-usable bottles that come with it are great.
Old 26-04-2013, 15:01   #19

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAndante9 View Post
I know it's so subjective! What about the other flavors? Like the idea of carbonation & mixing different fruity flavors . . .
We are diet come lovers as well, we bought a soda stream based a trying a sample of the diet cola we got we were offered at the boat show">Annapolis boat show. Having now made the said diet cola, we are convinced the samples we were given was real diet coke. Neither the diet cola or the diet Dr. Pete (substitute for Dr. Pepper) taste anything like the original. The cola was horrible, the Dr. Pete was a little better. However, we liked the orange soda, but it was not diet. I think we will eventually adjust, I hope ... We will see.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 15:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Like any product they try and compare themselves to existing products - for example they make their diet cola product look like diet coke. If you are happy with better versions of generic diet coke products you will like their products. If you align your expectations towards discovering flavors they offer that you like rather than trying to replicate flavors you know you already like you will be very satisfied.

FYI - the prices work out to the same as if you were to buy a case of soda at a store but the carbonation can be expensive. I bought an adapter that allows me to use regular refillable paintball cylinders which are about $5 to fill and last longer than the ones they sell.

SodaMod SodaStream Soda-Club CO2 Adapter - Save Money on Refills!
We have also done this.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 26-04-2013, 15:18   #21

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

I have noticed that the SodaStream soda goes flat faster than a regular Coke. It starts out very "fizzy" but doesn't stay that way compared to an open can of Coke out for the same amount of time. Has anyone else noticed this?
I give it 5 shots of CO2 after the loud buzz. 2 more than the directions say to.
Wind River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 15:27   #22

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Ok Ok I know the unit does not produce the real thing but just think of the plastic bottles you no longer have to dispose of. If we are real about the sailors small foot print on this earth then that is a great step. I just think about the hundreds and hundreds of plastic bottles that are washed up on our Great Barrier Reef we tend to say they all come from the poorer countries to the north of us but not all do so you just have to look at the labels to see that. I would love to see the sale of bottled water banned world wide Haha ( maybe I would make a good mayor for NY) Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 17:25   #23

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We've been using SodaStream for years. We tried lots of the flavors and have settled on the Cola Zero and use a 50/50 mix of diet and regular tonic for sundowners.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:48   #24

Is it possible to buy the real diet coke syrup (like restaurants do with their soda fountains) and just use that? They come in huge bags.
aclevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:30   #25

Boat: Hans Christian 38 Telstar #123

I'm 99% sure you can't fly with the CO2 bottles. It's like the cartridge in inflatable lifejackets . . . In looking into the adapter so you can use paintball cylinders and get cheaper refills, there's a lot of discussion on how "food safe" the paintball canisters and the CO2 are. It's confusing enough to not be clear either way. Strong "opinions" on both sides.
SVAndante9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclevername View Post
Is it possible to buy the real diet coke syrup (like restaurants do with their soda fountains) and just use that? They come in huge bags.
That is a brilliant idea! I just checked on Amazon, you can get the syrup in 5-gallon bags. They aren't cheap at $138 each, but I imagine that will make a lot of soda if you use the same amount as the Sodastream syrup -- 2-3 ounces ???
Old 02-05-2013, 19:45   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAndante9 View Post
I'm 99% sure you can't fly with the CO2 bottles. It's like the cartridge in inflatable lifejackets . . . In looking into the adapter so you can use paintball cylinders and get cheaper refills, there's a lot of discussion on how "food safe" the paintball canisters and the CO2 are. It's confusing enough to not be clear either way. Strong "opinions" on both sides.
I know people that have mailed the CO2 cartridges to the Caribbean from the US. I not sure that is exactly legal, but they got there. Restaurants in the Caribbean serve sodas, how do they get the CO2?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:29   #28

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
That is a brilliant idea! I just checked on Amazon, you can get the syrup in 5-gallon bags. They aren't cheap at $138 each, but I imagine that will make a lot of soda if you use the same amount as the Sodastream syrup -- 2-3 ounces ???
God, how long would that last you? And where would you store it once opened? Imagine that spilled all over the insides of whatever locker you put it in.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:38   #29

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
You can also go to restaurant supply stores. Kind of like costco for restaurants. They have the syrups... however you usually need to present some form of business ID like a state tax form before you can buy there. At least in VA its like that.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 16:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post

God, how long would that last you? And where would you store it once opened? Imagine that spilled all over the insides of whatever locker you put it in.
I've been thinking about that, my husband loves his diet coke. Why not a Jerry can? We used five gallon Jerry cans for water while river rafting, why not use one for syrup?