Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2015, 17:22   #31

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Soda stream

We've used SodaStream for years and keep a spare in case one breaks. Our local oxygen company has the "proprietary" valve to fill the tanks which makes it great for us. We have 10 of the 130 liter tanks which will last us a year before needing fills. We also use genuine Coke products instead of the SodaStream colas.
Old 25-04-2015, 19:00   #32

I am very impressed at the ingenuity on this thread. You all take your carbonation very seriously.

I am amazed no one has mentioned trash. Even if you can buy soda for less thsn the SodaStream, dealing with the trash all those cans create is a nightmare. SodaStream is awesome for that.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 20:47   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I'm sorry if I just offended anyone. I think I am either not effectively communicating how the recharge system works with liquid CO2, or that there might be a another reason for the rejection of the liquid feed concept.

CO2 tanks contain liquid CO2, not compressed gas. A conventional tank, when the valve is opened, vents off gaseous CO2 when in its normal upright position. The gaseous CO2 mixes in the system to carbonate water which is then blended with a small quantity of flavored syrup.

The SodaStream gas cylinder also contains liquid CO2. I can use either a siphon tube CO2 supply tank, or invert a conventional tank so that the valve is on the bottom. Depending on the tank used, I can connect my manifold up to the tank valve, close the two manifold valves, screw in a SodaStream cylinder (I bought nine of them at a closeout sale when I purchased my SodaStream dispenser), then open the main valve on the supply tank. Liquid CO2 gets discharged into the manifold. I open the first valve to my SodaStream cylinder and squirt a small amount of liquid CO2 into the cylinder, then shut the first manifold valve, and then open the second (exhaust) valve to vent the cylinder contents into the atmosphere. The liquid changes rapidly into a gas phase, and using the same physics that makes refrigerators work, the SodaStream bottle gets suddenly very cold, preparing the cylinder to accept the next step of being filled with liquid CO2. I fill the cylinder until it stops getting heavier. If I were more careful I could place a digital scale beneath the Soda Stream tank to be precise. Then I shut off the first manifold valve and unscrew the SodaStream bottle from the manifold. Then I repeat the process with the next empty SodaStream cylinder until I have a bunch of filled tanks to store in the bilge. It only take a few minutes to perform, and because the gas is inexpensive and commonplace, it is almost free, especially if you have a friendly barkeep who will loan you a spare tank in exchange for a couple of nice IPA pints.
I don't think anyone is arguing with you as to how you recharge your Sodastream tanks. That's common - charging a smaller tank from a larger tank via liquid CO2.

However, you stated that the Sodastream tank injects liquid CO2 into the soda bottles t ocarbonate them, and that is not correct. The sodastream tanks release CO2 gas to carbonate the liquid, just like every system before them.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 20:54   #34

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Gary H, I think you have made a common mistake. The SodaStream system injects LIQUID CO2 into the water,[/url]
I think that co2 becomes liquid at 75 psi so any paintball canister that operates above 75 psi (and I think that is all of them) should work fine.

I use a paintball adapter and it works fine, if not a little fussy.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 21:27   #35

It is somewhat strange to me that no one on this forum has just looked up what happens when you carbonate a drink. The co2 that you put in the bottle that holds the gas is under a lot of pressure, like my welding bottle hold co2 at over 2000 lbs per square inch. when I put that high-pressure gas in a bottle to use as a carbonator. It does not matter whether it is a liquid or a gas. It goes in the little high-pressure bottle and if under more pressure than it takes to turn it to liquid, it turns to liquid. So now if you put that liquid,through a regulator into a bottle of, of water at say 15 lbs over evaporation pressure and let it set for a bit the co2 will be joined to the water as a liquid but when you release the pressure like when you pull the trigger on a seltzer bottle the liquid in the pressurised bottle will be carbonated and will start bubbling the co2 out of the water but fairly slowly unless you shake it up first. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 21:42   #36

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I am amazed no one has mentioned trash. Even if you can buy soda for less thsn the SodaStream, dealing with the trash all those cans create is a nightmare. SodaStream is awesome for that.
....and don't forget, here in California, the CRV (California Redemption Value) charge for every can or bottle you buy. That adds up too if you don't bring the containers back to the store.
Wind River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 22:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I am very impressed at the ingenuity on this thread. You all take your carbonation very seriously.

That's an excellent point.

After reading this thread, I decided to get into soda making. I just recently got rid of a lot of my beer brewing equipment, including 4 Corny kegs, all of the fittings, CO2 tank, manifolds, regulators, double tap, etc.

I looked around in the garage and in between a few SCUBA tanks, I found a fully charged, polished aluminum 20 lb CO2 bottle. So I ordered 3 carbonation gas valves, a used CO2 regulator with 2 gauges, 4 ball lock valves for gas, and 3 plastic keg taps from Ebay and Amazon.

I like the concept of Sodastream, but I hate getting locked into anything proprietary, which the CO2 tank and soda bottles are. By the time you buy the syrup, CO2 bottles, the soda bottles, caps, etc, it would take hundreds of gallons to break even.

I can use the 20 lb CO2 tank for other things (like beer carbonation, or fire extinguishing, if necessary), I can get it recharged for less than $20 at the local keg place, and I think I spent a grand total of $75 for the regulator and fittings. This way, I can charge up 3 standard 2 ltr. bottles of soda, leave the carbonation ball valve cap on in the fridge and install a ball valve with hose and tap to release the soda into the glass, while still preserving the initial 45 psi charge.

By charging the soda while it is close to 32*F and maintaining the pressure on it in the soda bottle, one can get more carbonation with less CO2 loss, more like out of a soda fountain.
Old 25-04-2015, 22:45   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I think that co2 becomes liquid at 75 psi so any paintball canister that operates above 75 psi (and I think that is all of them) should work fine.

I use a paintball adapter and it works fine, if not a little fussy.
The liquid/vapor point for CO2 is dependent on pressure and temp. In order for CO2 to remain liquid at 75 psi, it must be at about -62*F.

At room temp., let's say 78-80*F, it would have to be at about 950 psi to remain liquid. Here's the chart:

Old 12-05-2015, 16:07   #39

Well, I've been playing around with my home made carbonation setup for a week or 2, I thought I'd come back in here and give some updates and share some stuff I learned.

I'm glad I didn't buy the sodastream system, it's pretty expensive and they lock you into buying their CO2 bottles, refilling them, buying their soda bottles and caps, and buying their soda syrup.

Walmart and most places sell the Sodastream syrup for about $10/bottle, enough for 12 liters. That's expensive enough right there that most store bought soda is cheaper at 89-99 cents per 2 liter bottle. However, Amazon Prime Pantry sells the syrup for $4.99/bottle, so that's a big savings right there.

I followed some suggestions I saw on youtube and chilled the mixed water/syrup in the fridge down to close to 32*F. I filled the bottles to about 80%, then removed the excess air and installed the carbonation cap in it. I snapped on the gas ball lock valve, turned the soda bottle upside down to force the CO2 to travel up through the liquid, hoping it would absorb better than if injected from the top.

Once the bottle was firm, I started shaking it and could immediately feel the bottle get softer (pressure dropped as CO2 got absorbed from agitation) and I just kept doing that for a couple of minutes. I was really surprised how much more CO2 was absorbed through agitation under pressure.

Thn I turned the bottle right side up and removed the ball lock valve, leaving the carbonation cap on and keeping the full 40 psi of pressure on it. I put it back in the fridge and let it sit under pressure for a few more hours.

This resulted in a lot more carbonation than store bought soda, and even though it lost some carbonation from getting opened for repeated pourings, it still didn't go flat as fast as store bought.

The syrups I bought were all regular (1 diet) and were sweetened with regular (beet?) sugar, pure cane sugar syrup is much more expensive. The taste was very close. I bought cola, root beer, creme soda, lemon lime, ginger ale, orange, diet grapefruit, they all tasted great. You can also carbonate just about anything, I've heard Country Time lemonade is great carbonated. I also carbonated Margaritas (excellent! adds a lot of sparkle to it and a little bit more tartness, my Margaritas are normally very smooth) and tried carbonating Crystal Light Fruit Punch and Grape drink, both came out great! I'm leaning toward the Crystal light stuff - no sugar, cheaper, easier to use (comes in 2 qt packets) and very sweet.

I've got some iced tea with peach carbonating right now, I'll try it in an hour or so, and I'm definitely going to try the lemonade.
Old 12-05-2015, 16:19   #40
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

socal-
You might try Celestial Seasonings teas. Raspberry Zinger, Peach, there are a number of "fruit" teas they make that are nothing at all like the usual black teas with some flavoring added. They make great iced tea, should make great soda too.
And they're incredibly good with NO sweetener added at all. Eliminates a whole batch of questions about what that stuff all does to your metabolism.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:03   #41

Boat: Lagoon 380 , Bj 2004

There are 2 locations to exchange Soda stream bottles in the Caribbean.
St. Martin, french side. Company call ERPEG . Located in the ZAC of Hope estate.
Tel: 05 90 52 41 43
or
Martinique , company called Caraibes decoration
63 rue de prof.R.Garcin, Didier
Fort-de-France
Tel: 0596 71 44 02
evatippold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 12:09   #42

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

After 5 cases of carbonated cans blew up on Amapola, we switched to SodaStream. We use the diet tonic syrup from SodaStream but purchase real Coke syrup from Sam's Club.
Old 17-05-2017, 11:47   #43

Boat: islandpacket

I had one, but had alot of difficulty finding flavorings that were in date and not expired. But that was just before boaters world closed and the only place I could find it. I'm sure with the internet its much easer.
Old 17-05-2017, 12:25   #44

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

I know some people who have it and like it. It is cheaper and convenient than buying cans of soda.

Personally I use a CO2 tank with a regulator and fizzblaster carbonation cap.

The drawbacks of sodastream are that the pressure is a little wimpy and flavorings can be problematical. I think the pressure is set to 30 PSI or even lower on the machine. Also, the burst it does is good, but does not fully dissolve the CO2, so you kind of end up with 25 PSI soda or so. A can of coke is usually around 35 PSI. When I make soda with a regulator I can fully saturate it up to about 40-45 PSI which is the max for cold syrup.

The problem with the flavors is that you are kind of stuck with their stuff, which is not as good as some commercial sodas. If you make your own syrup, that can be better. Note that when you add the carbed water to the syrup you lose carbonation pressure because the syrup is not carbonated.

In my system I first make syrup to the sweetness I want, then carbonate the syrup. I put the flavor (usually lemon or lime juice) in the glass and add the syrup to the glass. Since the syrup is fully carbonated I have a very high pressure and fully carbonated drink which is as high or even higher than commercial sodas.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 13:42   #45

Boat: islandpacket

Maybe soda stream is limited to the pressure on the plastic bottles?