Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2015, 08:57   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
Soda stream

Anyone here use a sodastream instead of purchasing soda?

If so....how is that working out for you?

Thanks!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 10:23   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: Soda stream

I know that I have read several discussions here in the past, but how to find them?

In short, saves bunches on soda. Others have made their own systems from readily available parts and a small co2 cylinder which saves tons more!

Most all said a good idea.
Old 24-04-2015, 10:38   #3

We ran the numbers a couple years back and unless you build your own CO2 refiller (it's purposely propriatary so they can massively overcharge for the CO2 cartriges), there was no savings.

If you will be in an isolated area where you can't get soda, it's an option but if you are near any kind of civilization, there will always be soda available.

If you google it, you can put together a system pretty easily and use much cheaper CO2 cartridges.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 10:58   #4

We use sodastream for environmental and chiropractic reasons .

Bottled water (both carbonated and flat) is banned from our boat. The optics of using oil to make plastic bottles and then the diesel to drive it to the store, to the boat, and then to recycling is unacceptable to me.

Then there's the matter of back pain carrying the cases of water.

In the US, the gas cylinders have come way down in price - $15 at Walmart and make 60 liters. For our part time cruising schedule that's $30/year. The flavors are expensive and my family doesn't like them so we only make fizzy water (often with a slice of lime in the glass.

There are certainly less expensive ways to make carbonated water but you have to have the gumption to gather the equipment and then use what is probably a slightly less convenient system than the Sodastream.

So, while I still lug cases of soft drinks around while complaining bitterly about my back, I usually forget to get enough. There's always enough fizzy water
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 14:43   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We use the soda stream so we don't have to carry 20 cases of coke zero with us to the bahamas! For us, its the weight and space savings... even if the flavor is not exactly the same. After a few rum and "cokes"... who cares!?!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 15:21   #6

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

We have a Soda Steam, and it has been great; however you can't get refills in the Caribbean. From Grenada to USVI's to Puerto Rico- nothing. Can't bring cartridges on the airplane, either.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 15:33   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Great if you don't want to lug bottles. Damned rip-off unless you make an adapter and start chasing down paintball places for the refills. $22 from a SodaStream exchange, $3 refill from the paintball shops, exact same gas.

I just call that unconscionable. And, actually higher than many supermarket sodas, which come with that nifty free bottle attached to them.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 15:39   #8

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I've been using a SodaStream for many years, now. I only buy the flavor syrups from them. I bought a charging manifold, several years ago, connect it to a CO2 canister (borrowed from a bar in exchange for a beer or two) and fill up 9 cylinders once a year. Filling takes about 5-10 minutes per canister. Each canister produces 60 liters of soda water. There is nothing simpler or cheaper. Here are some YouTube videos of the process:

Attached Images

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 15:51   #9

I switched from rum&coke to rum& orange juice with lime.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 15:58   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You know, Stu, if you'd just buy a decent rum to start with, you wouldn't need all that other stuff.(G)

I understand that in Bermuda, they still have a law allowing them to hang a man if he mixes all that stuff into a Gosling's.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 16:10   #11

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
Anyone here use a sodastream instead of purchasing soda?

If so....how is that working out for you?

Thanks!

gunk
I used one on a delivery with owner on board. Boat shall remain nameless to preserve reputations.

We used it to carbonate vodka and added the "energy drink" powder to it. No ice, no water, just vodka, energy drink powder and CO2. That 2014 New Year´s Eve was memorable thanks to the Sodastream!

Back to serious stuff, the adapter things takes some time but works fine. There is CO2 everywhere in the world.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 16:54   #12

Boat: Sabre 42

My wife and I are big Sodastream fans as we enjoy the occasional rum and coke. Since we are about to set out on an extended cruise, we bought a hose with the fittings to attach a standard CO2 tank to the Sodastream head. However, we have not had much luck -- the bottle doesn't seem to have enough pressure to fully carbonate the water. Has anyone had any experience with this? What PSI is required to get a good fizz?
Old 24-04-2015, 21:02   #13

Gary H, I think you have made a common mistake. The SodaStream system injects LIQUID CO2 into the water, causing a very high pressure, as well as extreme cold. To use it with a hose, direct to the dispenser, you would have to be using a standard CO2 tank UPSIDE DOWN (see my pictures above) or else have a siphon pickup tube tank which is upright, but picks up the liquid CO2 from the bottom of the tank and transports it. It will not work by simply injecting gaseous CO2 into the void at the top of the bottle. It has to be liquid CO2. Here's a video using a hose delivery. Be aware that the tank shown is a siphon-type, picking up liquid CO2, then as the liquid leaves the tank it changes to its gaseous phase.
Old 25-04-2015, 02:57   #14

Boat: Sabre 42

Roy M, thanks for the info. If Sodastream is actually injecting liquid CO2, then the manufacturer who sold me the adaptor has it all wrong. His website specifies using a non-siphon, kegerator type tank.

I've got the freedom plus model from CO2 doctor (same as in the video clip):

FreedomOne
Old 25-04-2015, 07:12   #15

Gary H, I am confused about the product you are using. On the website you provided, in its Glossary section, is the following quote, which appears to say what I just did: Siphon type CO2 Tank - This type of tank looks just like any other except that it has an internal suction tube or "dip-tube" which runs from the CGA-320 Valve (internally) to the bottom of the Tank so it dispenses LIQUID CO2 from the bottom of the tank as opposed to GAS CO2. Liquid CO2 is what you use to fill Sodastream Carbonators and Paintball Tanks. Glossary.

The SodaStream gas cylinder, with its proprietary valve, uses liquid CO2 which your system delivers using a siphon tank to a SodaStream gas cylinder. Does your system provide you with another option for the storage? Maybe you should contact them to clarify this issue because I am not knowledgeable regarding the product you purchased, and therefore unqualified to offer adequate suggestions for your situation. Sorry for the confusion, and I hope you get this worked out so you can enjoy making your own soda onboard. For me, the SodaStream system, once it is disassociated from the SodaStream monopoly, is a terrific cruising item. Sometimes you just get a craving for fresh, bubbly root beer or a gin & tonic.