Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 18:29   #46

Sweeping Up Some Pieces

Quote:
Ita, he say:
Counting [sic] Garfield the cat: all I like is either illegal, immoral or unhealthy
You're actually quoting W. C. Fields, as I recall. I can see where Garfield may have borrowed some aloof/hedonistic attitude.

Tea contains about 1/3 to 1/2 the caffein of coffee, per prepared cup, on average. The other major stimulant in tea is theobromine, a cousin to caffein, which is about 10% as powerful, but affects the brain & body in different ways: more impact on pleasure centers (it's the theobromine in chocolate that lends it its reputation for being an aphrodisiac, and such a grand mood elevator for depressed women).

Caffein is a vaso-constrictor (makes blood vessels contract), which is why it is valuable in treating headache, including migrane: preparations such as Anacin and Excedrin, to name just two, are over-the-counter combinations of caffein and analgesic. The caffein constricts blood vessels in the brain, tightening them up, so to speak, and so stops them from throbbing.

The caffein-deprivation headache is the result of the relaxing on those same blood vessels in the brain, as they have become adjusted to functioning normally in presence of caffein, and grow flaccid and throb when it is withheld: hence, the headache. It also takes a couple of days for the brain chemistry to adjust by replacing good-mood hormones like serotonin where the caffein had ursurped their place. A few days of lowered mood & overall fatigue is the result. After that, you've adjusted, your brain is re-stocked with its own hormones, and you're free.
Old 03-05-2010, 20:08   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
INo caffeine, no alcohol, no cigarettes, no pot, no other consciousness altering substances?
Tager, dude, are you kidding me? What is sailing without a bit of a snip at anchor? And, of course, a massive bong hit through the bbq connected to the raw water intake.

No consciousness altering substances indeed. What is the world coming to?
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 20:56   #48

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We had a zero chemical policy on board Exit Only. Since our kids sailed with us, it simplified life a great deal because we didn't have to tell our kids that it was ok to use one type of chemical, but not another. It wasn't a moral issue. It simply worked for us.

I have lots of patients with substance abuse issues, and I see the chaos that it creates in their lives. Every day I treat people who have problems with alcohol, pot, meth, cocaine, and heroine.

The drug companies in the USA now advertise heavily on television, and the message is that there is a drug for every symptom, disease, or ailment. Lots of people take 5 to 10 different medications a day, and I am 100% convinced that they could survive with just a fraction of those medications. I think people should be taken off most medications (there are a few exceptions) once a year, to see how they do without medications, and then add medications as required for their most serious medical problems.

People are using so many medications that the water table is now laced with hundreds of different chemicals from medications flushed down the toilet.

I try to live a chemical free life as much as possible. When I get sick, I take meds for the shortest possible time. Recreational drugs/chemicals would not make my life better, and I don't use them.

If I can't enjoy my life without chemicals, then I need to change the way I am living.

I never found that being a chemical free yacht was a barrier between me and other sailors that used chemicals. Most yachties sailing around the world are careful with the chemicals that they take, because if they were not careful, their voyage would be quickly over.

When cruising, it's sometimes hard to avoid chemicals like caffeine. When you are in a remote location, and you are thirsty, a soft-drink in a can is always safe to drink. When I was working and cruising in the third world, I wouldn't drink anything unless I was 100% sure that it wouldn't be a threat to my health. Hepatitis A and Amoebic hepatitis are a gift that never stops giving. If I was thirsty, I would drink anything that was safe. When travelling in marginal locations, I always carry water or soft-drinks just in case I get thirsty - I don't want to be tempted to take a chance on drinking something that could make me sick. I would prefer to avoid caffeine containing beverages, but I will take caffeine any day if it is the only safe beverage at hand.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 21:28   #49

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
We had a zero chemical policy on board Exit Only. ..... but I will take caffeine any day if it is the only safe beverage at hand.
Maxxingout,

Good common sense.

I target zero, but in a case like falling asleep at the wheel or having a caffinated drink, I look at which choice is more healthy.

I did a movie shoot many years ago. While on the set there was always a cooler with soda drinks for free. So I had a can in my hand pretty much the whole time. After the shoot I found myself dragging. I had loaded up with sugar. I made the choice right then that I could do with less sugar. I later heard that the carbonation also works against your ability to utilize oxygen. Any truth there?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:28   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post

The drug companies in the USA now advertise heavily on television, and the message is that there is a drug for every symptom, disease, or ailment. Lots of people take 5 to 10 different medications a day, and I am 100% convinced that they could survive with just a fraction of thos
I read a book recently about the importance of psychotropics in our culture...the author related that she had come home one day talking about a friend who was having a rough week. Her daughter - 8 years old! - asked, "Mom could she be depressed? ... Because depression is a treatable medical condition."
Their kids don't watch TV anymore.

Does your no-chemicals policy extend to medicine though? I always wonder, when people say that, if they mean TOTALLY. Like no aspirin for pain, or Benadryl for an allergic reaction (if it's relevant to you), nothing AT ALL? Or just nothing that doesn't have a pretty strong argument in favor of necessity?
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:45   #51

Yeah, well, if God didn't want sailors to drink, why did He invent yardarms?

If you sit in the cockpit of the lone sailboat anchored off a pristine tropical beach and you drink bottled water, will the sun ever set? Dunno, that's what I thought sundowners were for.

Hmmmm ........ time for another beer.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:59   #52

Boat: a sailing boat
... caffeine ... (a) consciousness altering substance... (???)

So how much do I have to take to change my consciousness?

BTW Many people I know take none of these, but not quite so many sailors.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:48   #53
CLOD

Boat: none
For GOD loved man so much he allowed him to learn....................... chemistry!

Better living though chemistry is just fine with me. And I don't care what you chose to put it YOUR body, as long as it isn't going to effect your actions etc in a negative way that may impact ME!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 13:18   #54

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch- Independence
Mariness,
Are you aware of the herb feverfew? I've known people that suffer from migrains and have used it with good results.
Feverfew
Dan
San Juan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 13:56   #55

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
And here I thought I have been stone cold sober for years cuz all i do is drink coffee. But in my younger years I drank enough that I probably still keep the national average lifetime alcohol consumption higher than it would be without me.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 14:04   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Juan Sailor View Post
Mariness,
Are you aware of the herb feverfew? I've known people that suffer from migrains and have used it with good results.
Feverfew
Dan
Thanks ! I am aware that it helps some people. But, I am still nursing our daughter, and feverfew is a no-no during pregnancy or nursing. So, until I know I won't be either of those, it isn't really a good option yet. For some reason, all the herbals I'm aware of are in this category, probably due to lack of research but I don't really want to be the guinea pig.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 16:19   #57
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
the chinese have been drinking tea for 5000 years with no ill effects.
Actually not true. The chinese have a very high incidence of esophageal cancers from drinking black teas. We are simply mostly unaware of health statistics anywhere but the "western" world.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 16:23   #58
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
The other major stimulant in tea is theobromine, a cousin to caffein,
Actually in tea the caffeine cousin is Theophillin; Theobromine is found in chocolate, which is why IT is the elevator of moods.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 16:36   #59

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Unless Hershey Bars and Hostess Chocolate cup cakes are considered mind altering substances (per the foregoing), my wife is entirely sober.

While I like strong French Coffee in the AM (to get my heart going) and a glass of wine or a beer in the early PM (to slow it down some, eh?), we do not allow alcohol use aboard the yacht unless she is anchored and well secure. (It is amazing how difficult it is to recruite crew for a long race if the yacht is dry!)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:55   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
we do not allow alcohol use aboard the yacht unless she is anchored and well secure. FWIW...
I agree whole heartedly (also FWIW).

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote