Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2018, 20:00   #1

Boat: Ranger 26
Small appliance question

Do the cords need to be 3 prong or is 2 prong ok?

We are looking at getting a little toaster oven for use at the dock on our 26' Ranger. I just finished installing the shore power and installed a breaker panel with a built-in ELCI as well as GFCI outlets on each circuit.

Thanks
RJ
ordkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 20:22   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Small appliance question

Personally I think the most important thing on a boat, where grounding can be unreliable (it shouldn't be, but frequently is) is the GFI/RCD. Since you say you have GFI outlets you have that covered.

In the US, if the appliance (new ones) is UL listed and has a two-prong plug then it must be double-insulated, otherwise it must have a three-prong plug. I'm quite comfortable with two-prong + GFI (I put more trust in the GFI than good PE ground on most boats).

If you're talking about old/used appliances then I'd want to confirm the construction, but anything even remotely current (20 years?) that is UL listed and with an original two-prong plug is double insulated.

That's an opinion, I'm sure you'll get the opposite from someone shortly.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 04:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Small appliance question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
... In the US, if the appliance (new ones) is UL listed and has a two-prong plug then it must be double-insulated, otherwise it must have a three-prong plug. I'm quite comfortable with two-prong + GFI (I put more trust in the GFI than good PE ground on most boat ...
Indeed (in Canada too)!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote