Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 08:24   #1

Boat: Island Packet 420
Seaward Princess LPG - burners won’t turn off when hot

I have a timbales Seaward Princess 3 burner LPG range which was installed in 2001.

I have lately discovered that the burner knobs won’t turn off when the thing gets hot. I can adjust the flame height, but cannot turn past the IGN point. No matter how hard I push the knob, it is as stuck as if I hadn’t pushed it at all. I have tried pushing hard, and also tried pushing the knob not-quite-all-the-way in.

Workaround is to shut off LPG and allow the range to cool. Everything works fine next time. Happens infrequently, as I do mostly quick cooking. There was no problem last time someone made a batch of pancakes, for example.

* I first noticed this after running the oven for “a while”. Cannot turn off any burner one might turn on.

* Recently, I found that running a burner at medium heat for “a while” also makes that burner’s knob stick.

Has anyone else had this problem? I imagine it has to do with thermal expansion, but don’t know why it has arisen with age. Is there some particular point where wear and/or accumulated debris is a problem when the system heats?

Trying to avoid disassembling the stovetop too many times, as that damages the dielectric “fish paper”.

Thanks in advance for any experience you may have had investigating this problem.
ReneeMattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:50   #2

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Seaward Princess LPG - burners won’t turn off when hot

I oiled my valve shafts which seemed to fix the problem, but you may want to call Sure Marine Service. They have been helpful with my stove. https://www.suremarineservice.com/Ga...Cooktop-Parts/
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:03   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

I don't know anything about the Seaward Princess in particular, but most gas cooktops use tapered plug valves that fail after grease is worked out over the course of many years of use. Some can be disassembled and regreased. Some just have to be replaced. Gas valve grease is available from several sources or you can just use ordinary chassis grease and it will probably work for as long as you keep the stove.

You can also buy rolls of fish paper and cut them to size with scissors
Old 15-05-2021, 07:12   #4

Thanks for your tips, both of you. This could eliminate a couple of investigatory dismantlings. And reduce the need for cutting replacement fishpaper rings.

BTW, I did email the new owner (whale pumps), and they offered no guidance. So thanks for the link to suremarineservice. There seems to be a lot of knowledge on that website - could come in handy in the future.
Old 15-05-2021, 12:41   #5

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

The valves in my two burner Seaward 2172 stove are Tesa 2394/11. https://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/t...ml#open1476881

With the stove cold and the gas off, all I did to stop the valves from sticking when hot was to remove the knob, put two drops of SAE 30 oil on the valve shaft where it enters the valve body, then replace the knob and exercise the valve.

Sure Marine Service has kept my old stove alive. They swapped my failed mercury valve for one they rebuilt, they sold me mew gaskets for the oven door, and best of all they sold me stainless steel burner grates to replace the rusting original steel grates.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 09:24   #6

Indeed. Access is adequate right through the front of the control panel trim plate. No fishpaper was harmed in the making of this maintenance. No cooktop disassembly required.
I used a toothpick to clean out all visible loose material and another toothpick to apply much less than a drop of oil. I also found SAE-30 to be close at hand.

I may be forced to warm a casserole as a test.

Thanks all!

Tags
award, seaward