Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 08:15   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393
Rum Drinks

Hello,
We are beer drinkers by choice but know in some of the places we have visited that was not always available or it was less than to our liking. So with that in mind we are trying to like Rum. but it is not going well. I am trying to find things that will be readily available in the Bahamas to mix with the rum to make a nice refreshing drink. So what is your favorite type of rum? light, spiced or dark and what do you drink it with?
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:28   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Rum Drinks

My go to rum for sipping on the rocks is Ron Zacapa 23year solara. It’s divine.

We’re also on a Dorleys kick at the moment.

I find I have little tolerance for rum with an alcohol percentage greater than around 40%.

As far as mixers. Either coke, soda, or random odd fruit juices all work well.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:54   #3

Boat: Voyage 430

The traditional drink is ginger beer and rum. If you like ginger, ginger beer, ginger ale, etc this might appeal to you. You can also add lime to it.

Rum varies widely in flavor and bite. Attempt to drink different types from different islands. You might find one you like a lot more than others.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:07   #4

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

If you don’t enjoy sipping good quality rum and as you say, you simply want a “refreshing drink” It really doesn’t get any simpler than a proper daiquiri

2 ounces light rum
1 ounce fresh lime juice
1/2 to 3/4 ounce simple syrup

Add all the ingredients into a shaker with ice, and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled glass - rimmed with sugar for that extra special touch!
Old 09-06-2020, 09:08   #5

Pina Calada ingredients seem to be readily available.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:16   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i'm a beer drinker and enjoy rum mixed with ginger beer. although some ginger beer mixers are quite expensive.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:23   #7

Boat: Voyage 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i'm a beer drinker and enjoy rum mixed with ginger beer. although some ginger beer mixers are quite expensive.
Super easy to make your own ginger beer. Takes some ginger root, sugar, and a lemon. That is it.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:07   #8
rbk

Boat: T37

As mentioned a good sipping rum (dark not spiced) neat, on ice, or ice and lime for a more refreshing drink on a hot day. Dark and stormy's as mentioned above (ginger beer and dark rum) or another good favorite is simple mai tai, light mix of dark rum and cold pineapple juice (fresh is best) and float a good amount (one finger) of dark rum on top. Some start adding flavored rums or liquors but it really is best to keep it simple with good quality ingredients.

Also as mentioned rum flavors vary, Mount Gay makes some good stuff, Diplomatico Reserva is excellent and my regular inexpensive go to a 7 year old Flor De Cana (personally find the 7y smoother than their 12 or 18).

Always buy top shelf if you can, it will take any mixed drinks and cocktails to the next level and provide much more depth and flavor than a white even in daiquiris or pina coladas etc. That reminds me of one more, a 'dirty colada', dark rum pina colada and a half shot of kahlua mixed in to really 'dirty/muddy' it up.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:08   #9

Boat: Riva 48

It is somewhat of a waste to dilute good rum with anything for that matter. Try different types until you find the one that you like or try increasing the quantity, it usually gets better the more you drink . Then setup a 5-10 gallon rum tank on the boat and you will be quite prepared.

Seriously though, one of the main benefits of alcohol over beer is that it is easier to carry on a boat. It is an 8:1 ratio based on alcohol content and when you add the weight of the beer bottles it becomes more extreme.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:11   #10

Boat: Catalina 320

I prefer Meyer's Original Dark, tastes of molasses to me, with almost any fruit juice blend containing OJ/pineapple it's a Mai Tai.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers%27s_Rum
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:14   #11

Any fruit juice.

Honestly, you're a beer drinker. It takes time and patience to learn to be a booze drinker. It takes a while to get your pallet so you don't 'wince' every time to take a drink. Rum is delicious once you get used to it.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 16:04   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
My go to rum for sipping on the rocks is Ron Zacapa 23year solara. It’s divine.

Yes, but it would be a sin to mix the Centenario! At most a couple of ice cubes and a splash of water.

For mixing we like the regular line of Ron Botran rums. The 8 to 12 years are good top-shelf mixing rums and are usually what we use.

Favorite drink: Rum & Fresh Coconut water (not the crap you buy in the store, but fresh from the coconut), nothing else. It is our favorite cocktail, usually made with Ron Botran 12 year.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 16:12   #13

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Since you are in the Bahamas, Ricardo is a good mixing rum, and good price. I prefer the dark with ginger beer. If you want a mellower taste then gold with 7up or goombay punch(bahamian soda, pineapple flavour)
Of course there are classics like pina colada, lava flow, bahama moma or yellow bird. All of which can be ordered in a bar, or recipes online.
Ricardo also does flavoured rums, which are lower alcohol and easier drinking.
Lots of variety, and as you expand your cruising grounds you will find the rum is very different country to country. But Bahamas rum is a great place to start, I might go pour one for myself now!
Cheers
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 16:25   #14

Boat: Seaward 22

If you like coke/pepsi try it with captain morgans and lime.

My wife's favorite isn't rum, but vodka. Make lemonade with your favorite mix and replace 25-33% of the water with vodka. That way it still has a strong lemonade flavor.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 18:26   #15

Boat: Catalina 387

Anything with rum. Any rum, 'cept that cinnamon stuff.

Listening to a sailing podcast. Some midwest YC had a drink that was simply Mount Gay rum mixed into an Arnold Palmer (lemonade and iced tea). It was named for the Mount Gay and Buddy Melgas. So I won't name it here, but a John Daly with rum instead of vodka is also a good description.

It's fantastic. Much more than the sum of it's parts.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum