Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2010, 10:41   #16

Boat: PETERSON 44
I lived aboard without refrigeration for many years. I simply did without things that needed to be. Cold I was younger then I am today. Then I got refrigerated everthing changed. I wouldnot have paid attention to the change except. While sailing about the refer went frittzy. This changed everthing again. Now I became slave to the next ice supplier this meant every other day knowing I would be near aN ice dealer. We had to change our supply plan. We had the steaks for breakfast hotdogs at lunch steaks again for dinner the plan being we would devour all the meat and veggies before they went south and then eat granola bars. After fixing the fridge all is well again. Being reliant on ice is out. Having a working refer is in redundant system would be better. Now I'm thinking I need back up to the existing system. It really isn't good to have your provisioning reliant on that 12v refer.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 11:17   #17

Our fridge has been flawless but it won't work in anything greater than 75 degrees water temp. It's great for around here but even in the summers (which are nothing like tropical summers) it doesn't cool things enough. We're going to pick up one of the 12v Engel coolers and keep it in the quarter berth (or the v on passages). In the $700-$1000 range, there's no install, it's portable, and since it's not against the hull it should operate much better. At least on my boat, with the insulation, there's just too much heat from the decks and the water on the hottest days.

Refrigerator/Freezer - Engel MT35F Portable - 12/24V DC or 110V AC* - *Portable Refrigeration* - *Refrigeration* - *Galley, Stoves & Barbeques* - *Main Deck
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 12:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Our fridge has been flawless but it won't work in anything greater than 75 degrees water temp. It's great for around here but even in the summers (which are nothing like tropical summers) it doesn't cool things enough. We're going to pick up one of the 12v Engel coolers and keep it in the quarter berth (or the v on passages). In the $700-$1000 range, there's no install, it's portable, and since it's not against the hull it should operate much better. At least on my boat, with the insulation, there's just too much heat from the decks and the water on the hottest days.

Refrigerator/Freezer - Engel MT35F Portable - 12/24V DC or 110V AC* - *Portable Refrigeration* - *Refrigeration* - *Galley, Stoves & Barbeques* - *Main Deck
I think your pump isn't putting out enough flow or the exchanger is blocked. My air cooled works even when the engine room is 120 and water is a better medium for the transfer of heat. It's 90 outside now and I have ice forming water cooled system working properly is should be more efficient.
Old 21-08-2010, 12:06   #19

Another thought on these portable coolers. The thermal energy they remove has to go somewhere. If it's nit water cooled or blown outside it's transfered to the cabin. That means warmer temperatures below deck
Old 21-08-2010, 13:49   #20
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
In my view energy consumption/cost is not the point. I've arrived at remote islands to find their icemaker was on the fritz, or barely 30 degrees and only cubes were available. You either get reliable refrigeration or do without. I've done it both ways.
Old 23-08-2010, 19:55   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Another thought on these portable coolers. The thermal energy they remove has to go somewhere. If it's nit water cooled or blown outside it's transfered to the cabin. That means warmer temperatures below deck
Sabray:

Not sure about the other units but, my Engel does not seem to heat up the cabin at all. It may be the location where I keep it near the main hatch
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: WHAT WORKS! WHAT'S COOL!
but, I never noticed the cabin get uncomfortable even when the hatches are closed overnight. It also makes a convenient seat. I may get a second one to use as a freezer and will also make the the single bunk on that side of the boat a little wider in the process.
Old 24-08-2010, 11:30   #22

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Someone on another board looked at that issue. He determined that the heat output of a person is way in excess of the heat output of an Engel or similar cooler.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 11:38   #23

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Sabray:

Not sure about the other units but, my Engel does not seem to heat up the cabin at all.
Agree on the heat output of the engel. It is minimal in my experience.

I recommend considering a small engel, etc for meeting your ice needs. Especially since you can always use it as a backup refrigeration unit at a lower setting if you main goes bad.

Cheers
Old 24-08-2010, 11:43   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i use neither ice nor fridge--i do just fine--isnt like a challenge or anything--i just choose not to use the fridge--i will when i have all up and running, but is always good to know how to do stuff without any amenities so when ..operative word--WHEN it breaks, i dont lose anything-i hate wasting foods...boat has fridge but i choose to not use it unless i really really need it underway--is engine driven.

i find when i close ports in night --i get condensation--so i leave them all open--i can hear noises from outside but that is better than having something sneak up on my boat without me knowing....fresh air is a necessary item for me--as i am asthmatic.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration