Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 11:18   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Question about Provisioning With Sunsail on Grenada

I've done several charters over the years, mainly in the BVI but also in Greece. I've never chartered with Sunsail before and this will be our group's (4 couples) first charter in Grenada. I've looked at the provisioning options (in the past we have always self-provisioned) offered by Sunsail and I'm aware there is at least one good market within walking distance of the Sunsail base. I'm curious about three general areas of consideration:

1) Other charters' experiences self-provisioning near the Sunsail base. We arrive a couple of days before our charter begins; therefore, we should not be rushed if we decided to self-provision. Is the nearby market(s) adequate or would we have to go other places to find decent quality. My group is easy to feed and water, no special needs or unusual tastes, but good quality is important. Everyone has traveled extensively so although we are all from the USA, we have experience with foods in all corners of the world.

2) Sunsail's provisioning plans do not seem to be too expensive and there seems to be a fair variety. I wonder about quality; although, it probably comes from the nearby markets. I know we can save some $$ by self-provisioning, do those with experience doing full provisioning feel the convenience is worth the extra cost?

3) Split-provisioning (maybe the 4-day "dine afloat" plan - breakfast, lunch, snacks for all 8 people for 4 days; dinner and dessert for all 8 people for 2 days at $240 per couple, so $960 total) and then we do significantly less self-provisioning for our other needs. We will dine ashore a few times and we will certainly do our own shopping for most fruits and produce, soft drinks, alcohol and dry goods so we can supplement the split-provisioning as we see fit. Several members of the group think split-provisioning will make the shopping excursion simpler and more fun. We don't mind spending a little more $$ to make things easier. The group has chartered together 3 times before and even with lots of prior planning, organization and delegation, the provisioning has always been time consuming and for those assigned the task a tiny bit stressful. All that to ask: what experience has anyone had with split-provisioning, is it a good compromise?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-08-2014, 11:38   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Question about Provisioning With Sunsail on Grenada

The fresh food market in St Georges is one of the prettiest in the Caribbean. You tie the dinghy up in the Caranage and walk through the slave built tunnel. To say its unmissable for a cruiser is an understatement and a travesty of tourism to let Sunsail visit instead of you.

The supermarkets that are best is the one directly outside Port Louis Marina where Sunsail is... and the other, a large American style supermarket is a short mini-bus ride to the IGA in Spiceland Mall. Taxi back if your so desire, but its a must to go there in a local mini-bus where you get to rub shoulders with the locals (literally!).

Grenada is really a lovely, safe place, if not the safest, friendliest and least racist by the locals against the cruisers. Of all places in the Caribbean this is the one to get out and experience the flavour of the locals in their markets

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 13:52   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Question about Provisioning With Sunsail on Grenada

Hi Jim:

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Rod Johnson and I serve as your provisioning manager for Sunsail Charters. Thanks for your enquiry regarding our Grenada base.

Regarding our packages, customers find value in them for not only does it provide ample provisions for your charter, it also includes complimentary "basic staples" associated with general sailing (spices, paper products and condiments).

But of course every sailor has special provisioning needs that packages may not cover. In that case, we strongly recommend our a la carte online store to compliment your package goods with specific beverages, foods and other items.

Once ordered, your items will all be stocked and stowed on your yacht upon your arrival. All at no additional charge!

Jim your business is important to us and we're here for any other questions that you may have.

Good luck with your provisioning experience!
Cheers.
Sunsail Provisioning
SunsailProv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada, provisioning, sail