Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 10:26   #76

Re: Quest for the one can meal

Uncle Bens 90 second rice pouch with a tin of anything from sardines to soups poured over.
CaribbeanCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:10   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanCraig View Post
Uncle Bens 90 second rice pouch with a tin of anything from sardines to soups poured over.
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

Adding it to the "quick N easy" list
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:21   #78

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
I can't imagine eating anything worse that military rations when I have a choice.

Actually, the best one's I've seen was while I was in Afghanistan and I tried the Canadian version. They were pretty good. I would take one of those over the US version.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:39   #79

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Hormel takes a bad rap for its SPAM, but they've been tuning in to public opinion. They've a whole new line of canned chili variations like w/chicken w/turkey w/vegitaria wo/preservatives lowfat, etc. Between the legumes and the protein, it seems a person could survive on that stuff for awhile. I never tire of it. I don't know about its international availability tho ...
Old 07-11-2013, 08:53   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
And thus meals are one area, where the single handed female sailor excels over the more macho guy sailor. Wow canned meals. You poor things. OK I do use canned chicken, ham and roast beef, plus canned tomatoes and tomato sauce, but I generally start with onion's, garlic, potato's, celery, cashews, curries, pasta's, spices, etc, etc. Yes even rice and beans. Most of my meals are cooked in 10-15 minutes, using whats cheep at the markets. Real basic cooking too. Sort of "diesel engine bleeding" of the galley. The key is the spices of course. I do a lot of curries and gumbo's and many times make enough for a second meal the next day. Of course I have a small fridge too. Sailorchic's basic starter meal: put a pot of water 1/3 full for rice or pasta on stove with heat on high. Toss in two small handfuls of rice (not minute rice) or pasta. Add one handful extra per added person. cover and stir now and then. Once water starts to boil over, turn down heat to simmer and leave lid part off. After waters warming on the pot above, Dice 1/2 onion and place in a pan with some oil on medium heat, Dice in garlic, celery, potatoes, bell peppers as needed. Cook 2-3 minutes or so, stirring it a bit now and then. Add 1/3 pound hamburger or other meat diced. Or add a can of meat. Add in a can of diced tomato's after meats browned. If you want add 1/2 a can coconut milk and or tomato sauce too. simmer on low 5 to minutes. If you want to get fancy (and have not added curry or other spices to the skillet above), then in a small skillet make an Alfredo sauce (TS flour, cup milk, Oz or so butter, TS or two of parmesan cheese.) mix and stir off and on 3 minutes till thicken on low heat. This is where a three burner stove is really handy, BTW. if your cooking rice, You can drain the rice before its done and add it to the skillet and it will absorb some of the juice in the skillet. reduces the sauce faster that way too. In about 15 minutes, a meal fit for a king, or queen... And far better then a can of stew or spam. Serves two or three, or refrigerate leftovers and reheat in a pot the next day with a oz or two of water in the bottom. Alternate by throwing in some shrimp, fish, sausage, etc. Very quick and easy to do and better for you too. You could do it all in one pan, by adding rice or pasta to the skillet after everything else is simmering, though might need to add a little water, tomato sauce or beer to the mix. I did take a can of beef stew and add in a can of roast beef once and that was tasty, if somewhat salty. But that was two cans. BTW, I do quite nicely on $5 a day per person for meals. Ok so I once again got just a little off track again....
Iwas going to defend my gender's culinary skills, but after reading what some have posted, I guess I have to agree with your assessment.

Just a fun suggestion- You should rename the basic starter meal to Crap Table Lucky 7 Ingredient Skillet Meal - everything diced.
El Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:38   #81
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
You don't like Dinty Moore?
Aye. Never trust a man who won't eat Dinty Moore's beef stew offshore.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:42   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Aye. Never trust a man who won't eat Dinty Moore's beef stew offshore.
Sorry there is only one way to dine on Dinty... Open can, pour 1". Of gravy out, replace with Jack Daniels, warm and serve. One must NEVER do this if they plan on functioning as even the hardiest will be rendered useless after 1/2 a can. But it does enhance the taste
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:43   #83

Maybe he should have titles this.. If you had only one can .. What would it be ?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:26   #84

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

I've started home canning - beans, corn, soups, etc.... This way I can bring what I want. Most of the cooking is done on shore to eliminate fuel use and moisture in the cabin. I canned a hot squash relish last week.
An easy snack - pack a jar with carrots that have been scraped and boiled for 3 minutes. Put a jalapeno pepper on top of the carrots, fill with vinegar leaving an inch of air between the vinegar and the lid, place the lid. Place the jar in a pot of boiling water for 30 minutes. Good, healthy, fast food.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:56   #85

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We sure seem to be having a problem with the one can meal concept. I wonder how Stockholm Sailor is fairing with his experiment.....
Old 07-11-2013, 13:09   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
You can eat from just one can, but a meal it's not
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 13:16   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can eat from just one can, but a meal it's not
Oh Yeah !! Chef Boyardee says you can make Happy Fat American..ha

Large can of Ravioli
Old 07-11-2013, 13:27   #88

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

I'll stick with my freeze dried backpackers foods. Backpacker's Pantry Chili and Beans is a great all around meal, just make sure you eat if just before going on watch for ... uh... venting issues.

Be careful though, some people swear by the Pasta Vegetable meal, I swear at it. Even Louisiana hot sauce doesn't make it very palatable.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 13:53   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanCraig View Post
Oh Yeah !! Chef Boyardee says you can make Happy Fat American..ha

Large can of Ravioli

I was gonna say Beefaroni. C'mon, we were all nine once!

My wife is now a professional cook. She can whip up sumthin' tasty with just about anything. So 'one can' is not yet a concern.

Did anyone mention beef Chunky Soup?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 13:54   #90

Boat: C&C 38'

Wolf brand Chili and some crackers.