Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 08:18   #1

Provisioning: Who Picks Up the Tab?

What is the accepted practice for paying for food/drink when the crew is basically "volunteer" (i.e., not payed), and have signed on "just for the fun of it". The crew is a "pick up" crew from various website crew lists.

Does the captain/owner buy? Is the cost usually shared?

Thanks.
Jim Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:26   #2

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Depends how needy you are for crew
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:29   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
If it is a straight delivery with no extended stops in nice places, the owner pays.

If it is a leisurely cruise, where fun is the priority, sharing expenses is common.

Either way…you should clarify…before they sign on
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:48   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I used to do this a lot, usually through yacht club connections. On the better boats, I was always given a bit of swag--something along the lines of a windbreaker or vest with the boat's name, although I've also been given a full set of monogrammed foulies. At that point you know that the owner wants to keep you on the team for future deliveries. Generally speaking I've always been given a one-way plane ticket as well, either to meet the boat if I'm helping to bring it home, or to fly home once the boat has reached its destination. I've never never never never offered to help with provisioning, fuel, et cetera. My contribution is standing watch. Period.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:04   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
As a delivery skipper being paid for the job, I expect to pay food + travel for the crew. If I was partying and had others join me, I'd expect them to share costs.

As Pelagic says, make sure everyone knows the score!

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 14:26   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
The crew buys/cooks their food/drink. You can pool up and share - make sure you eat/drink what they do! The crew supposed to participate in per share of marina cost and fuel costs too. Unless the captain is thrifty.

A paid crew does not pay food/drink/fuel/marina, and gets paid on top of that.

Often cheaper to get one paid and pro crew than a bunch of lame volunteers.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 14:47   #7

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
This can be a very touchy subject. My personal philosophy is that it really depends on the nature of why you are having crew join you as well at the nature of the crew. If I looked for crew because I needed help, I'd certainly want to cover all their expenses.

At the other extreme, if it's just a friendly sail and I'm offering people a good sailing experience, I certainly don't think I should be paying anything extra for having them on board. Some people get very hung up on how you met your crew. I don't see any need to make that distinction. I sometimes sail with life-long friends and sometimes with people I've met online. I don't think the fact I'm making a new sailing friend is fundamentally different from an old sailing friend.

I think the bottom line is any agreement that is not deceitful that both parties agree to is a fair agreement.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 14:59   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
An issue I just had to deal with and ended up as suggested by edsailing and pelagic. Needed to bring my boat from CT to FL on a fairly tight schedule, ie not a leisurely, sightseeing trip. A good friend and a friend of a friend volunteered to go. Both are boat owners with no extended sailing experience and looked forward to the learning process. I discussed the trip with both since none of us had previous experience in this area. We mutually agreed that I would pay all expenses; food, marinas, fuel, etc (booze not included) and they bought their plane tickets to CT. We ended up eating out a number of nights and the crew did chip in for some of this but at their request.

Everyone seemed fine with that arrangement. If it had been an extended pleasure cruise for fun only I sharing of costs is the fair way to go.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 15:39   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
To get good crew on a cruising boat owner pays. No matter unpaid or paid. Alcohol different of course and so is extra special food - sundowners camenbert etc.

If you get too scabby about it you wont get reasonable crew.

Diesel.... owner pays.....

This is the same with friends coming on board. imho. If things are really skint when you pick up the freinds go to the supermarket and you would normally find the friend pays/part pays at the till.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 15:39   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Since you picked them from a crew list....they aren't friends

If you are putting together a crew for a delivery irregardless of pay or not.

you pay for the food and a plane ticket home.

It is a violation of the law to leave a sailor stranded.

If your friends/volunteers pay...you are now a charter vessel...that is another can of worms....

In my years on the water I have heard too many stories of cheap (illegitamate children) screwing the crews that deliver their boats.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 15:58   #11
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wilson View Post
What is the accepted practice for paying for food/drink when the crew is basically "volunteer" (i.e., not payed), and have signed on "just for the fun of it". The crew is a "pick up" crew from various website crew lists.

Does the captain/owner buy? Is the cost usually shared?

Thanks.
I think that if it was a pick crew that came "just for the fun ofit' that you should decide what your policy is before taking them on and make it known. But if you are looking for help sailing the boat and that's why you took them I would think paying for food is the right thing to do. And if crew there drink is only on shore and up to them.

But this is just my opinion
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 16:09   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Do you mean to say BYOB?

Nobody I would hire would be allowed to bring their own booze.

That is asking for trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
And if crew there drink is only on shore and up to them.

But this is just my opinion
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:54   #13
CLOD

Boat: none
No I didn't say BYOB, unless that means bring your own boat. I said if you have crew on board to move the boat that are not your friends, that there isn't any drinking on the boat. Drinking is on shore only. In my mind havinga crew on the boat already carries enough liabilty and having them drinbking is just too much.

Now when I have friends on the boat we have a beer or 2, so I'm no saint!

Again just my opinion. But on my boat...my rules!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:14   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I've learned, as others have stated, that all agreements are to be hashed out and on paper up front before anything starts. That being said, everything is negotiable. I approach crewing duties seriously and try to do everything before the captain has to ask. There are no set rules for volunteer crews. If it's a rush delivery straight from point A to point B for me it's a free ride with the cost to get me back included. If it's a "Take our time" cruise I'm willing to contribute towards food and perhaps some other expenses. I'm not there to cover an owners trip so he can sail for free. I don't care if other crew have a beer or two during the day. I won't and expect the captain not to. I've had two trips where the crew drank too much, not to the point of being drunk but to the point where they can't properly take their shift or puke for the next 24 hours due to the combination of rolling seas and booze. Volunteer crewing is not a way to make a living. For me it's simply a way to get experience on various types of boats, have some fun, and the ability to satisfy a little wander lust in trade for my skills.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:24   #15

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I always pay for all crew meals on and off the boat. Volunteer crew will pay for their transportation. A while ago lawyers tried to say that crew members brought any thing to the boat - even a 6-pack; they were then paying customers which changed your liability. There is now presidence that such financial exchanges do not qualify a payment to you.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning