Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 20:01   #91

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon
Re: Provisioning plan for long cruise non stop

Thank you good planning
I just cracked open my first ever can of mackerel in lite oil added relish and wrapped it in a fijhati not as bad as I imagined so that might be a possibility. I'm going to try canned tuna next.
As odd as it may sound I have never had either of these before.(canned)
I have eaten fresh king fish and Loved it. Some Perch also.
Still seeing what will suit the stomach and the wallet.
I seem to be edging toward dehydrated foods , weight and space reasons.
All the suggestion so far are really good thanks
Old 26-07-2017, 20:32   #92
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Tinned tuna: There are BIG differences in the product, like filet mignon versus chuck steak. Albacore is usually the most expensive and "solid white". "Chunk light" and similar names are actually from a different tuna, very different product. Better for salads.

Also look at the POUCHED tuna and salmon. The pouches seem expensive, but if you take a 6 ounce can of tuna (the can may be 4.5oz-7oz. depending on brand and SKU) and drain the fluid out...It may only have the same 4oz. of actual fish that a 4oz. pouch has, so the cost is a wash.

Pouched tuna and salmon also come with a variety of seasonings and flavors, fwiw. And of course, they weight less and are less bulky than cans with fluids.

You'll probably find them all bland compared to mackerel. Nowhere near the heavy oily taste.

I also just discovered something new, to me. Peanut butter POWDER. Available on Amazon. A way to add a light powder (something like flour) to shakes or to thicken sauces in a skillet, to make peanut sauce. Obviously shelf-stable and lower fats and oils than peanut butter has. And it tastes, oddly enough, like peanut butter.(G)

Some of the powdered "protein shakes" could also be a good supplement for you. Fast meal replacement, no cooking needed.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 21:22   #93
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

This seems a whole lot easier to figure out than seven pages worth.

Buy a one year supply of Dooms Day Prepper food rations that Glenn Beck sells and off you go. Only half joking....why not because a 200 day non-stop trip isn't going to be a pleasure cruise anyway.

There you go....next question.... how much toilet paper you going to bring on a 200 day trip
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 03:11   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
This seems a whole lot easier to figure out than seven pages worth.

Buy a one year supply of Dooms Day Prepper food rations that Glenn Beck sells and off you go. Only half joking....why not because a 200 day non-stop trip isn't going to be a pleasure cruise anyway.

There you go....next question.... how much toilet paper you going to bring on a 200 day trip
6* sheets a day fo 200 days = 1200 sheets, so 3 x 500 sheet rolls leaves 300 sheets for emergencies.

*2 at a time - 1 wet, 1 dry, 1 polish.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 03:29   #95

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I fail to see the logic in dehydrated food... you still need to carry the water to rehydrate it..

The only thing in that line that I carry is instant mashed spud... current stock has been on board for about 5 years.... fresh spuds keep well ...200 days shouldn't be a problem .. and only take about 2 or 3 minutes to pressure cook.
Old 27-07-2017, 07:14   #96

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

I'm betting if he's going for 200 days a watermaker is in his future....
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 23:36   #97

Boat: ‘89 Hallberg-Rassy 42

I bought a vuccum sealer for crossing the pacific, as well as using it for its intended use I also used it for all my plastic waste. Tops left off bottles and they too would compress down. Dramatically reduced the volume of my waste and sealed off any unpleasant odors.
HR42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 16:52   #98

Wondering if there are any updates on the circumnavigation.

Best
PQDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 03:27   #99

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, to me, the real question is is the "200 day circumnavigation" worth it. You get to tally up miles, well good on you, but you lose so much in the way of rewarding experiences visiting other cultures. It's sort of like prepping the boat, and one's own self, then wasting that effort because of the circumnavigation. Poof! Between us, Jim and I have over 150,000, n. mi. for both of us (he has more, actually, and so do I, but I quit counting, because the numbers really don't matter to me), but what we look back on with pleasure is the interactions at the places we've stopped, or stopped and then gone back to!

Capt. James Cook has a goal and wants to meet it, efficiently. I suggest pemmican and a water-maker (so he doesn't have to concern himself with catchment). We'll see how he does with the isolation, which for an elderly singlehander may be a much bigger issue than we can help with here.

We have cruised without refrigeration, and honestly, prefer to have it: you can keep the large pelagic fish you catch, and it's beautiful protein. If James Cook is interested, I will be happy to expand on what that doesn't require refrigeration that you can carry to feed people .

Ann
Old 26-01-2019, 09:58   #100

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamesCook View Post
DonC You really have me rethinking that second trip to Hawaii

I like the package wrap I have dozens of rolls of it here at my store from 4" up to 24"
Yes I don't think the canned meats will make the cut.

FWIW, sailing back in the 80’s, I did the sprouts thing and it was easy and worked well. You’d be surprised how much you grow to appreciate them and most recently, one of my crew brought some cannned chicken which we added to soup while underway on a passage. Really spruced up the meal/snack in the evening watch. Sounds like you already found the crackers. Those individual packages are really helpful in keeping them fresh. The rest, is common sense and taste and the water maker is most helpful. I use 2 gals/day, including showers, cooking and cleaning. Easy to keep up with having 600 Watts of solar on board.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 10:48   #101

I've played this provisioning game for lots of activities.
Its hard for people to understand that weight does play a big game in your Cruising comfort in that if you overload your boat you can drastically change the sailing characteristics' of your boat. Its also important to remember unless you are heading off to Polynesia food is available everywhere and you do not have to load up with six months worth of provisions to do your trip.
I have gone the salty dog and made hard tack from an old recipe I have but after a while eating something with the consistency of hard pressed carboard does loose its romance and becomes duck food while at the dock.
The best choices I have found for an extended cruse is dehydrated/freeze dried foods and MRE's one of the best sources for dehydrated food is Honeyville farms that can provide you just about anything you want. With MRE's the advantage is they are excellent meals for rough conditions .
Here is the link for Honneyville if anyone is interested https://shop.honeyville.com/?sclkid=...le%20-%20EXACT

For anyone interested in making their own freeze dried food Harvest right makes home freeze dryers that allow you to make up food for your trip and hydrate it back where ever you are. Nice setup if you are a picky eater. https://harvestright.com/
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 17:43   #102
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Besides tinned chicken, there is tinned roast beef (same Costco or supermarket aisle) and while it isn't an epicurean treat, it makes soup or chili that much better. There's also textured vegetable protein (TVP) sold in chunks of varying size. Looks like dog kibble, yes, but Harmony House and others sell it in a variety of flavors and sizes and again...dropped into soups or whatever sauce, sometimes it can be mistaken (especially) for the tinned meats. Lightweight, shelf-stable, worth a look.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 18:55   #103

You cannot forget the ultimate meat Canned Bacon !!!!!
https://pleasanthillgrain.com/food/m...Canned%20Meats
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, provisioning