Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 11:45   #16

Re: Provisioning for the Bahamas

12 ga. pump? Wow thats a BIG fish! All the pirates of Ol' Carib died long ago.
ParadiseParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 16:42   #17

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We've been cruising the Bahamas for over 13 years and have never had any trouble with the authorities over food. In fact, we've never been questioned about the food we are carrying. I'm fortunate to have room for a small freezer. I buy meat in bulk then individually package it. I bring as many food items as I can store because it is VERY expensive there. We also bring beer and booze.

Since fresh fruit and veggies don't last long, we do shop locally for them and bread. Marsh Harbour has a very nice grocery store comparable to the US. The locals also bake delicious coconut bread. Enjoy your cruise.
Old 08-04-2015, 17:17   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtj0214 View Post
They go on to say you cannot bring any meat into the country unless packaged in its original packaging and no home made items.

I have never heard of any cruiser coming in with a cow, sheep, pig or lamb. Maybe chickens, though.....
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 18:20   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
I have never heard of any cruiser coming in with a cow, sheep, pig or lamb. Maybe chickens, though.....

I speak fluent sarcasm and a smidgen of smartassery....I think this is the latter!
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 07:56   #20

Boat: 37C Hunter

I provisioned heavily in Fort Lauderdale before bumping out to the Bahamas. I didn't need to provision for over a month. The Bahamas are pretty expensive. We did bring produce and of course liquor but don't recall them asking about them. (This was a year and a half ago) We ended up clearing customs super late at night. Maybe our Customs gal just marked no for everything so she could go home more quickly. And while Customs may not board your boat we did have the Bahamian police board our sailboat at 4:30 in the morning. Scared us half to death, though we were impressed by how professional they were, and nice. They did a thorough search and the only thing they mentioned was no spear guns which we didn't realize either. You can check out our Bahamas experience at mountainsandseashore.blogspot.com.

We loved the Bahamas though! We were bringing our boat down to St. John in the Virgin Islands so it wasn't completely a pleasure trip but we would love to go back!

Enjoy and safe travels!
Camile
s/v Obsession
ObsessionSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 09:30   #21

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessionSTJ View Post
.... we did have the Bahamian police board our sailboat at 4:30 in the morning. Scared us half to death, though we were impressed by how professional they were, and nice.

Camile
s/v Obsession
This is a very interesting statement. I'm not certain the search and seizure laws of the Bahamas but I'd be more than a little put out if they pulled that on me. Did they act on behalf of customs? Was there something that gave them a "probable cause" to search? If someone boards me at 4:30 a.m. without first identifying themselves prior or even with a verbal i.d. they are likely to be met with a defensive stance or a loaded weapon at that hour. Camile, I think this might make a good separate thread.... Know Your Rights In Foreign Ports.....
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 20:04   #22

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
This is a very interesting statement. I'm not certain the search and seizure laws of the Bahamas but I'd be more than a little put out if they pulled that on me. Did they act on behalf of customs? Was there something that gave them a "probable cause" to search? If someone boards me at 4:30 a.m. without first identifying themselves prior or even with a verbal i.d. they are likely to be met with a defensive stance or a loaded weapon at that hour. Camile, I think this might make a good separate thread.... Know Your Rights In Foreign Ports.....
You are kidding us right? Seriously, do us all a favor and stay in the USA.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 05:07   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
You are kidding us right? Seriously, do us all a favor and stay in the USA.
Somewhat over the top and RUDE sir. I think my statement was appropriate for someone being boarded at 4:30 a.m. If you would just willingly submit while in your sleepwear so be it.

May all your early a.m. visitors have honest intent.
Old 14-05-2015, 06:02   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Putting

Not sure how traveled you are, or where you grew up.

But in the U.S. , a cop boards me, pulls me over whatever. That is not the time to debate my rights.

Traveling even less so. If I have a concern I contact the embassy. That same guy boarding at 04:30 could easily find drugs on my boat.

You know the ones he planted there!!! And lots of luck fighting that one.

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 07:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Putting

Not sure how traveled you are, or where you grew up.

But in the U.S. , a cop boards me, pulls me over whatever. That is not the time to debate my rights.

Traveling even less so. If I have a concern I contact the embassy. That same guy boarding at 04:30 could easily find drugs on my boat.

You know the ones he planted there!!! And lots of luck fighting that one.

Like the comment from ZBoss I'm uncertain of your comments or questions. How well traveled or where I'm from isn't the question. It is about a 4:30 a.m. boarding by law enforcement .... or anyone as was my original thought to the folks who experienced it.

So in reply I would ask, "Have you ever been boarded in the wee hours? What would your reaction be?"

Now to the point. Knowing the rules allows one to use said rules to advantage. The American roadways are full of fools who will submit to a vehicle search simply because a law enforcement officer asks permission. It is not legal unless the officer has a valid probable cause for such as search. The appropriate response to such a request is NO and if pressed a polite request for the officers supervisor to join the action.

Outside the US there are different rules for different countries. After a customs clearance I would be very suspicious of a non-daylight visit. There must be a clear reason stated by the law enforcement personnel for such a visit. AND there must be a signed warrant from a magistrate in the Bahamas.

One may respectfully engage a law enforcement officer in questioning their motives. Knowing that in the Bahamas police carry not badges but warrant cards as you request identification will let the officer know that you know the difference. Being polite and courteous will in most cases bring the same in return.

For the record: I'm not an American but Canadian. I'm well traveled in the western hemisphere for my 62 years of age. What that has to do with how I'd react to a 4:30 a.m. boarding I'm not at all certain but thanks for asking.

(sorry to thread-jack this conversation.... now back to the provisioning questions)
Old 15-05-2015, 13:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
.... now back to the provisioning questions
This thread was about food?

Oh yeah, it was!
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 09:48   #27

Any thing you buy in the Abacos has an Added Value Tax of 7.25 percent plus sales tax. When we cleared in last month we did so at the marina office or Customs/Immigration office. No one boarded our yacht or even questioned us about any of your concerns. They just want your money. Don't get or ask for a fishing permit. It will cost you.
Harry Privette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 09:56   #28

Quote:
Any thing you buy in the Abacos has an Added Value Tax of 7.25 percent plus sales tax.
There is no sales tax in the Bahamas, VAT is 7.5% ....

Quote:
Don't get or ask for a fishing permit. It will cost you.
Than I would suggest also no to get or ask for a drivers license in your Country - it will cost you too ...

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 10:09   #29

Boat: 1981 Irwin 37

Have not been there yet, ( hope to in the near future) but according to their web site the fishing permit will not cost anything .... Its part of your entry fees.

"Travelers should also be aware of entry fees in The Bahamas. Boats up to 35 feet long will be charged a $150(USD) entry fee, while boats over 35 feet will pay $300(USD). These fees include a cruising permit, fishing permit, and departure tax for up to four people with no overtime charges for Customs or Immigration."
irwin37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, provisioning