Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2022, 15:39   #1

Provisioning advice

I, along with 2 crew are moving a 41' sailboat from Ft Myers to Panama City, FL. I'm looking for tips on food and drink choices and quantities.
SV Sadie K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 16:27   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Provisioning advice

Need a few more details. Are you following the Florida coast or straight shot from Ft Meyers to Panama City? If rhumb line sailing, it's about 400 NM. Assume 5 knots avg speed so you're looking at minimum 8 days. Plan on 12 days of food, and drinking water and then there is tank water for showers, dishes. How big is your diesel tank? You'll need Jerry cans for water and diesel.

Anyway, let us know coast hopping or rhumb line,then I can be more helpful/specific. Also, what is your cooking source? Flame or electric? And...do you have refrigeration?

Thanks,
Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 16:55   #3

Boat: Switch 51

400nm at 5kts is more like three and a half days rather than 8!

Would have thought not a huge provisioning problem, the fresh stuff will still be edible. With that size boat and crew size, storage should not be a big problem, and if there's refrigeration then quite a nice cruise.
AndyOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 17:19   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Scrambled eggs with pre-cooked sausage (reduces the amount of hot grease to deal with) and cold cereal would make good breakfasts. For lunch, cold cuts & bread for sandwiches - add pickles, lettuce, mayo, etc. if desired. For dinner fish, chicken or steak can usually be cooked up fairly quickly. Veggies like green beans are easy too. Rice takes a bit longer to cook. Perhaps plan on a "rough weather" meal of soup or stew (Poulet chasseur?) pre-cooked so that it doesn't HAVE to be served hot but still tastes great.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 08:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOz View Post
400nm at 5kts is more like three and a half days rather than 8!

Would have thought not a huge provisioning problem, the fresh stuff will still be edible. With that size boat and crew size, storage should not be a big problem, and if there's refrigeration then quite a nice cruise.
Thanks for the correction! Don't know how I goofed that up!
Old 25-06-2022, 09:38   #6

Thanks for the advice. Plan A is rhumb line straight across, weather permitting. Plan B is coastal. I have a propane oven, refrigeration and jerry cans and will do the trip in July with 2 experienced crew.
SV Sadie K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 13:59   #7

When you provision, think in terms of individual meals for each day rather than buying ingredients for meals. Have everything pre-made so you are not cooking on passage, only reheating. For example, make a Frittata with a dozen eggs. I also bring yogurt and granola as a breakfast. I recommend chicken sausage that is precooked as well. Just reheat. That will be breakfast for 3 or 4 days. Make 8 chicken breasts and that can be lunch for three days. For dinners make a meatloaf and freeze it so it can thaw over a day or so and be ready. Also, I make 8 turkey burgers. I also make a large amount of Quinoa which I can season and use as a side with any meal and it's a complete vegetable protein. I also take hummus for snacking, two quarts of some type of soup/stew frozen for night shift. I usually bring frozen salmon fillets, as well for one dinner.

I also have 2 lbs each of peanuts, cashews, 2 pounds of trail mix, and 2 pounds pistachios for snacking. I'm obviously protein heavy, but if you want carb, then precook rice or potatoes (can be used for a variety of meals). If you want noodles, I recommend soba noodles, again, because buckwheat is a complete plant protein. Also use pita with the hummus, as that will make the meal a complete protein.

Drinking water....1/2 gallon per person per day (tooth brushing, coffee, tea, cooking, drinking). I have a 3 gallon Gatorade cooler I put in the cockpit with tervis mugs for everyone to access. I fill it two gallons water, the rest ice. Keeps them out of the fridge (power conservation). If it's easy then, they stay hydrated. I also have diet coke, diet Sprite, ginger beer, a few light beers in my cockpit cooler (my helm seat).

For sweets, name brand cookies (the preservatives keep them fresh), and some chocolate bars in the fridge.

My tradition is also to bring orange juice for the vitamin C. Nobody's getting scurvy in 3 days, but it is an homage to the sailors who have come before us.

Bring butter ( doesn't need fridge), barbecue sauce, ketchup, coffee, tea, milk/cream, sugar, salt, pepper, hot sauce, blackening spice for your fresh fish, olive oil.

I am sure you're trolling a lure. If you get fish, eat up, but don't count on that for sustenance.

Most importantly, under no circumstance should any bananas be brought on board during this trip, or ever!

Have fun!!!
Old 10-07-2022, 13:53   #8

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

We way overstocked for our trip to Glacier Bay, AK. About 6 weeks into our 14 or so week trip, and the only things we're even remotely low on is fresh veggies/salad stuff. But then we cruise full time, so what we don't use on this trip, we will end up using later, no need to remove all food for lay-up, etc.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 14:40   #9

Late afternoon/early evening meal is highlight of the day on passages on my boat. Used to use a crock pot, now an Instant Pot. Beef stroganoff or some sort of chicken in tomatoes can't be beat. If you're lousy cooks, Stouffer's lasagna is good (reheat on engine block). Having it cooking all afternoon is a big crescendo.

First day or two from "Publix-country" their fried chicken fingers are damn good and reheat well for those on-watch.

Breakfast is individual. I like yogurt, fruit, and granola, but seems like many crew like cereal. Muffins or toast seem to do well. Tortillas are good to cram leftovers in, maybe a scrambled egg (microwave works well for quick scramble).

Lunch - sandwiches. DIY whenever folks are hungry. Bag of chips too.

For a short run of 4-5 days, bagged salad kits if you have room in fridge.

Bottom line is I would plan for only one meal per day (dinner), the rest would be catch-as-catch can. There will be leftovers.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 14:59   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'd also plan on snacks, although often leftovers can become snacks. That may be what bensolomon is on about with all the nuts. For us, I make pickled hard boiled eggs, sometimes small potatoes, which you can perk up with balsamic vinegar, but also eat out of hand. We like savory snacks, also extra sharp cheddar cheese, crackers, and pickled onion or caramelized onion chutney.

Some people also do desserts. It is up to you. Spicy cakes with nuts work well, but require fixing ahead, and bringing along, unless you enjoy baking under way.

Ann
Old 11-07-2022, 15:19   #11

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

You’ll probably find that you won’t eat too much for the first couple of days as your stomachs adjust to being at sea.

Keep the food for those days simple and easy to prepare.
In particular, minimise the time required preparing them.

As the trip goes on, appetites will return so be ready for bigger meals with more preparation.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:56   #12

Regarding equipment, I have a “galley box” of items I have ready to take on charter (varying if whether it’s in UK and I drive or fly there commercially). Box has:
• silicone placemats
• silicone potholders
• lighter *
• spatula, tongs & knives in leather roll
• meat thermometer
• hand soap dispensers (x3)
salt & pepper mills
• spices (basic: garlic, onion, paprika, cinnamon)
• cast iron pan (small flat style)

For the lighter, I hate cooking with either matches or cheap/nasty supermarket gaslighter. I opt for a USB Rechargeable Arc Lighter like https://martianmade.co.uk/product/us...andle-lighter/

Regarding provision items:
• sour dough, tortillas or English muffins last longer than bread
• for water, go at least 2 litres per person per day
• always get some ginger biscuits & ginger ale (for those with lesser sea legs)
• Starbucks “Via” packs are better than any instant coffee aboard

Some usual menu items aboard:
• nice steaks cooked on cast iron using butter/thyme/rosemary
• steak sandwiches on warmed rolls
• sesame crusted tuna steaks w/ sweet soy dipping sauce
• French toast
• French style scrambles eggs over toasted/sliced croissants

As I mention that I take my own chef knives, you can probably guess I’m not of the precook and reheat style. Sailing should be enjoyable.
YachtBoyRMK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, provisioning