Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 08:07   #1

Boat: Bayfield 40
Propone stove lights, then clicks off.

We have a Force 10, 2-burner propone stove. Recent problem: the stove burners initially light OK but after 2-5 minutes, the control panel on/off switch clicks off. Why?

Is this the thermocouple? Is it solenoid? Other ideas?

Thanks....
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:15   #2

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII
Re: Propone stove lights, then clicks off.

It shuts off at the panel? I'd look into the solenoid. If it were the thermocouple, it would shut off at the stove.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:21   #3

Boat: Allied 39

The control switch (one that allows propane to flow thru the solenoid) is only connected to the solenoid. It sounds like it's tripping since most are a breaker as well. I would look closely at the connection to the solenoid to see if there is any corrosion or water intrusion on the splice. It also maybe the solenoid has gone bad. Also it maybe the breaker as well. We have had breakers fail on our panel in the past. So start at the solenoid and work back towards the breaker checking the wiring, connections, etc.

You will get lots of helpful advice from the other folks but this is my take

Good luck

Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-12-2014, 08:23   #4

great help .... thanks much.
Old 12-12-2014, 13:37   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nknowland View Post
We have a Force 10, 2-burner propone stove. Recent problem: the stove burners initially light OK but after 2-5 minutes, the control panel on/off switch clicks off. Why?

Is this the thermocouple? Is it solenoid? Other ideas?

Thanks....
I doubt it is the solenoid. Not knowing a thing about it. I would guess there is a delay for the thermocouple to get to temp. Check that the thermocouple hadn't gotten moved away from the burner, as a result of cleaning. It might be as simple as that.

Best of luck.

t
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 14:27   #6

Boat: Allied 39

One other thought since the propane is flowing for a couple minutes with the light on the panel being on. There might be some resistance somewhere along the wiring that causes heat to build up tripping the breaker. Try touching all the connections from the breaker to the solenoid. if you feel any heat then look closer. Heat means the connection is not good and building up resistance.

What happens when the breaker trips and you flip it back on? Can you immediately light the stove? Yes? then how long will it stay on? No? then how long do u have to wait before you can relight it?

Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-12-2014, 15:46   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I doubt it is the solenoid. Not knowing a thing about it. I would guess there is a delay for the thermocouple to get to temp. Check that the thermocouple hadn't gotten moved away from the burner, as a result of cleaning. It might be as simple as that.

Best of luck.

t
The thermocouple only allows propane to flow or not flow. It has no electrical component and will never trip a breaker. The OP's electrical panel is tripping!
Old 12-12-2014, 17:46   #8

Boat: Southcoast 36

Not sure if this will help or not.

Our LP gas control panel has a feature where it trips if the voltage at its terminals drops below a certain level.

The PO put in a long run of smaller than what I would use wire to the control panel and it is on the same circuit as the stove piezo lighter. When we light the stove with the piezo lighter, our control panel will sometimes trip out on under voltage. This tends to happen only when our house bank is in float mode ie at a lower voltage. I suspect that using the piezo lighting drops the voltage below the cut off and hence the tripping. I haven't had a chance to replace the wiring yet but since we can just light the stove with a lighter we can work around it.

If your control panel has a similar feature, this may be the cause i.e. the wiring or one of the connections in the circuit to the control panel is bad and is causing the voltage to drop and then trip out. The wiring is where I would start to look anyway and have a look at your documentation for the control panel.

Good luck.

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 07:49   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The thermocouple only allows propane to flow or not flow. It has no electrical component and will never trip a breaker. The OP's electrical panel is tripping!
Was he speaking of CB or a switch internal to stove ignition?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 08:03   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

I believe there is a thermocouple for each burner. Does this happen with both burners or only one? It's unlikely that both thermocouples would fail at the same time so I would look elsewhere for the problem.
Old 13-12-2014, 08:09   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

solenoids fail.
bypass it to check it then buy a new one and install it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 08:10   #12

Boat: C&C 34, 34 feet

The newer Force 10 Stoves have an O2 Sensor. If the Oxygen gets too low, it cuts the gas off. I had a friend that had this problem with his stove. Try opening up all the ports and get lots of fresh air through the boat and try again. If it quits, the O2 depletion sensor has kicked off to save you :-)
Truemettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 13:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Was he speaking of CB or a switch internal to stove ignition?

AFAIK Force 10 gas stoves do not have on/off switches so I think the OP is saying the breaker on his electrical panel is tripping.

Newer Force 10 stoves have igniters (a little AA battery) but these just spark when you press the burner control in. They don't do anything but spark to light the gas.

To light the stove you have to open the circuit to the solenoid, usually at the electrical panel although some boats have a secondary switch on the galley bulkhead somewhere.

It seems the OP's "control panel on/off switch" clicks off. I take this as a breaker tripping. Could be a worn breaker, faulty wiring or bad solenoid.
Old 13-12-2014, 16:34   #14

Wow! thanks for all the prompt answers. It's weird b/c it's an occasional issue. Sometimes it hits just one burner, sometimes both. So far, the stove is OK. It's an older Force 10 so no auto lighter to worry about. When the breaker trips, you can immediately relight the burner. Sometimes it trips again after a few minutes; sometimes it doesn't. What is working fairly consistently now is to light the burner, then turn the heat to it's lowest setting. After a bit, you can adjust as you please. We have checked the solenoid for corrosion and it looks OK. Cleaned up the ground wire. So, we'll continue along the wiring path ... looking for bad connections, corrosion, etc.
Old 13-12-2014, 17:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nknowland View Post
Wow! thanks for all the prompt answers. It's weird b/c it's an occasional issue. Sometimes it hits just one burner, sometimes both. So far, the stove is OK. It's an older Force 10 so no auto lighter to worry about. When the breaker trips, you can immediately relight the burner. Sometimes it trips again after a few minutes; sometimes it doesn't. What is working fairly consistently now is to light the burner, then turn the heat to it's lowest setting. After a bit, you can adjust as you please. We have checked the solenoid for corrosion and it looks OK. Cleaned up the ground wire. So, we'll continue along the wiring path ... looking for bad connections, corrosion, etc.

Your breaker tripping has nothing to do with the stove. Worn breaker, bad wiring or bad solenoid. Try switching the solenoid breaker to another breaker on the panel that is not used as often as the solenoid breaker. If the problem persists its the wiring or solenoid. If that fixes the problem get a new breaker. I have had to change my solenoid breaker after 8 years' use as it is used so often it wears out.