Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2008, 20:19   #1

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Propane stove spare grease

If you are going cruising with a propane stove, you might think about bringing a little grease along.

When I bought my used propane stove, and lit it in the driveway, gas leaked out of one of the control valves and caught fire. It turned out the valves are a tapered fit, sort of like some seacocks. There is a special grease for them. The local propane store gave me some, and I disassembled all of the valves and greased them. Problem solved. I kept the extra grease just in case. After 4 years of cruising with the stove, I haven't needed it.

I have no idea how common the problem is, but, I like to have the parts to fix a problem if it does happen again.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 20:46   #2
GreatKetch

Hey Pirate,

That must have been an exciting test! I'll give you three cheers for lighting it off for the first time in your driveway instead of intalling it in the boat and THEN testing it! I wish I could say I KNOW that I would have been so smart.

Bill