Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2012, 14:43   #1

Boat: Endeavour 42
Propane stove

I am thinking of replacing my old Galley Maid propane stove. Who is happy with their stove and oven? What brand is it, how many BTU's?
Trox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 14:54   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
I WISH I had purchased a force 10, 3 burner with a broiler and glass front door.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 15:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpattyd
I WISH I had purchased a force 10, 3 burner with a broiler and glass front door.
Which did you purchase?
Old 28-03-2012, 15:11   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Propane stove

the princess stoves by seaward are nice .. also has window on oven door .. just installed the 2 burner model and works great.
Old 28-03-2012, 15:49   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We've got a 3 burner Force 10. The burner controls are great, and the oven seems to be stable when the temp is 375 or less, above it's just not well enough insulated (i am going to try a fairly dense pizza stone). The broiler is my only complaint, when in use it heats up the top of the oven and the sheet metal warps, for really short duration it's fine (like toast) for longer duration one really needs to keep an eye on it.
The best part of it is the door that slides under the oven, you can leave it open and the gimballing still works, plus its not going to burn your knees when reaching into the oven.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 15:52   #6

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
I bought a princess stove by seaward. It doesn't have a broiler. I had to add a 'pizza stone' to get the heat even. I did order a second oven rack. I cook aboard 90 % of the time. We have lived aboard for three years.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 16:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpattyd
I bought a princess stove by seaward. It doesn't have a broiler. I had to add a 'pizza stone' to get the heat even. I did order a second oven rack. I cook aboard 90 % of the time. We have lived aboard for three years.
Thanks....exactly the information I am looking for. Do you know the BTU's on the oven? My current oven is over 20 years old and I do not know it's specs but would not want a replacement that had less heat. Mine will easily heat to 450 degrees.
Old 28-03-2012, 16:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey
We've got a 3 burner Force 10. The burner controls are great, and the oven seems to be stable when the temp is 375 or less, above it's just not well enough insulated (i am going to try a fairly dense pizza stone). The broiler is my only complaint, when in use it heats up the top of the oven and the sheet metal warps, for really short duration it's fine (like toast) for longer duration one really needs to keep an eye on it.
The best part of it is the door that slides under the oven, you can leave it open and the gimballing still works, plus its not going to burn your knees when reaching into the oven.
Thanks, exactly the information I need.
Old 28-03-2012, 16:20   #9

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Dickenson Caribbean 2 burner
11,000 btu and 7,000 btu (Force 10 are like 8,000 and 4,000)
35lt 7,000 btu oven and 4,500 btu broiler.
Gimballed with a cutting board on top.
I replaced a battered 3 burner Force 10 and the 11,000 btu burner for using a wok makes it worth its high price.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 17:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver
Dickenson Caribbean 2 burner
11,000 btu and 7,000 btu (Force 10 are like 8,000 and 4,000)
35lt 7,000 btu oven and 4,500 btu broiler.
Gimballed with a cutting board on top.
I replaced a battered 3 burner Force 10 and the 11,000 btu burner for using a wok makes it worth its high price.
Nice! Does it heat up the galley more than the battered old one did?
Old 04-04-2012, 14:29   #11

My buddy has a Dickinson Mediterranean on his boat. He put it in about a year back to replace his old Force 10 and he says the Dickinson is way better. Cooks faster and more evenly which is great since his wife loves to bake and she couldn't with the old one.
ptboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:14   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

It just blows me away how much they want for these stoves and how poorly some work by design.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:46   #13

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Dickenson’s designs come out of the diesel stove workboat industry, if it didn’t work well they would never sell another to a fishing boat. Most PNW fishing boats have one for heat and cooking, they last forever.
They are much more expensive than the Force 10 models but are heavier, better designed and work very well, they don’t design the ovens to sort of work, no pizza stone for me and I have fresh banana bread and well cook lasagna all the time.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 17:45   #14

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

I have had a very bad experience with a dickinson stove and would not recommend it to others. they are way overrated IMO.
Sometimes a company gets its reputation from a specific item such as the diesel heaters in dickinson's case. then they venture out to other products they have no business being in and mess them up.

Just my personal experience.
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:19   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer View Post
I have had a very bad experience with a dickinson stove and would not recommend it to others. they are way overrated IMO.
Specifics please?? We have hated our original Eno since we bought the boat in 2003. A friend just installed a 3 burner gimballed Force 10 and loves it so any information you have will help us decide on a replacement.

Thanks,
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote