Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2015, 10:30   #1

Boat: O'Day 27
Propane Camping Range?

I'm new to sailing and even newer to living aboard. I need a range in my new boat, but I don't have $1200+ to drop on a Force 10. Is this Coleman range a terrible idea?

Coleman - Portable Camping Stove | Camp Stoves | Coleman - PORTABLE STOVE OVEN COMBO

I know the dangers of propane in enclosed areas and will, of course, take all necessary safety precautions. I will not be cooking while the boat is sailing, so I'm not worried about having anything gimballed (yet).

Thoughts? Anyone else done this?
Little Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 11:08   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Propane Camping Range?

We have a similar stove on our Macgreggor 26x. Its located near the companion way. We use ours quite a bit, spending a week or more at a time on the boat, its gets used a least 2x per day.

I have been happy with ours. Nope, no gimbals. But for the gunkholing we do on the mac we don't need to cook underway.

One thing we do is to disconnect the propane when we are not actually using the stove. And, as previously stated, the stove is located port of the companion way. Plenty of ventilation. We also direct connect with no hoses, which I image could be a potential problem spot for leaking.

I can not say "this is perfectly safe" but we are sensible about it.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 12:20   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

People have used camping burners in their boats without blowing themselves up. The thing to remember is that the camping stoves aren't stainless, so they may rust out in 5-10 years, no big deal. And the gas "bottles" usually are only sealed by a rubber ball that sits in the stem to plug it when not in use. These LEAK, so you'd want to buy a brass screw-cap that securely covers the stem and prevents any leak (two for $5 in camping stores?) when it isn't in use. And of course, be mindful that casual use of explosive fuel gasses on a boat may be more exciting than you had planned.

I've also used the $20 "Korean BBQ" burner that takes a smaller butane can. No equivalent brass safety cap for those, but the whole thing is $20, one burner, the size of a looseleaf notebook so it can be stowed in something gas-tight above deck. And for $21 you can find the good ones, that come in a plastic storage box as well.(G)

Just make sure that anyone who is ever going to come in contact with a portable burner KNOWS that gas can explode, and is supposed to do that if mishandled.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 12:32   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

There is a thread about this from a while back. I'll see if I can find it. I think if you are removing the bottle and storing it in a safe way and you (and everyone else knows) that you have to be SURE the flame does not go out while cooking (and let gas run freely,) I think it can be about as safe as other explosive fuels used in a small flammable spaces. That last point is the main one. Propane stoves for boats have a safety device that turns off the gas if the flame goes out, camp stoves don't.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 12:36   #5

many RV ranges are/were used in boats. Magic Chef, Attwood etc. I recommend you use a big tank outside rather than the little cylinders though.
Many options out there, Ebay has new ones all the time at prices as low as $100 with oven!. Check the dimensions you want.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-RV-SUBURB...-/252115315096

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane