Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2011, 20:57   #181

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
i gotta question this response as well...

If a steel pipe BLOWS/BURSTS. there will be a shock wave, from the air, AT LEAST.. then there will be schrapnel...from the metal pipe failing...
Hi in a previous job many many moons ago I was an approved signatury for a hydrostatic test station testing high pressure air and oxygen cylinders.
Had several let go at pressures above 4000 psi, no explosion no shrapnel, just a bit of noise and water.

Rob.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 21:10   #182
cruiser

did the rupture area fail in one spot, and basically 'erupt', creating a sharp flare of metal?

I think I disucssed this as being somthing to be expected in that the pressure would come out so fast, from one point and therefor not all over and or create multiple rupture points...

either way, on your testing procedures were you behind a steel or block wall? did you watch it from a thick plexi glass window or thru monitors?

if so, why the precaution? couldnt you just stand 90 degrees from the cylinder and be safe?

sorry, not trying to cynical, but, stuff happens.. uncontrolled eruption of gas, or liquid or HOT, acidic, whatever is the same, UNCONTROLLED
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 21:20   #183

Quote:
did the rupture area fail in one spot, and basically 'erupt', creating a sharp flare of metal?

I think I disucssed this as being somthing to be expected in that the pressure would come out so fast, from one point and therefor not all over and or create multiple rupture points...

either way, on your testing procedures were you behind a steel or block wall? did you watch it from a thick plexi glass window or thru monitors?

if so, why the precaution? couldnt you just stand 90 degrees from the cylinder and be safe?

sorry, not trying to cynical, but, stuff happens.. uncontrolled eruption of gas, or liquid or HOT, acidic, whatever is the same, UNCONTROLLED
Hi, the cylinders meerly split open, releasing the pressure within. The split can be a little sharp however because water basicly doesn't compress there is no increased volume therefore no explosion.
The cylinder bieng tested is mounted in a pipe vise on the bench with the test pump. One is standing virtually beside it. No need for protecting walls etc.

Old 29-01-2011, 21:56   #184
cruiser

any pics of the testing area / facility???
Old 30-01-2011, 18:59   #185

Quote:
any pics of the testing area / facility???
Hey I was in my 20's then, now i'm in my 50's, as I said, many many moons ago!!

Old 30-01-2011, 20:34   #186
cruiser

hell, back then we did everything wrong... and i kinda think you know where i was going with my question...

I amsure we now do things, better, more safe, because of 'events' that at one time we thought were 'predictable'...

but thanks for the thirty year old info and reference.. it was helpful...
Old 30-01-2011, 21:33   #187

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, the cylinders meerly split open, releasing the pressure within. The split can be a little sharp however because water basicly doesn't compress there is no increased volume therefore no explosion.
The cylinder bieng tested is mounted in a pipe vise on the bench with the test pump. One is standing virtually beside it. No need for protecting walls etc.
Well said.

Just to throw the thread drift a little further off, try telling the folks who build water jet cutting eguipment that water does not compress.

Basically, water coming out a jeweled nozzel at 900 mph driven by 20K to 50K+ psi.

Let's keep it about food though.
Old 30-01-2011, 23:09   #188
cruiser

yea keep it on topic for petes sake,

and btw, that technology is a great example of taking near or previously catostrophic pressure and turning it into controlled release of high pressure...
Old 01-02-2011, 18:36   #189

Boat: Hunter 33' "Redbeard"
I just enjoyed a bowl of chicken curry I made in my new pressure cooker. First time ever using one, I admit I added a little too much water as I was skeptical about it not needing any as I usually include much more than I did. However it truly did only need 20 min. at pressure to be just as tender as normal. I was shocked as I usually cook the same dish for 2 hours or more. It will be interesting to see how it turns out on the kerosene primus, I should start practicing using a camp stove in the closet with the heat off. but for now the pressure cooker is working well at home!
Old 03-02-2011, 15:25   #190

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard33 View Post
I just enjoyed a bowl of chicken curry I made in my new pressure cooker. First time ever using one, I admit I added a little too much water as I was skeptical about it not needing any as I usually include much more than I did. However it truly did only need 20 min. at pressure to be just as tender as normal. I was shocked as I usually cook the same dish for 2 hours or more. It will be interesting to see how it turns out on the kerosene primus, I should start practicing using a camp stove in the closet with the heat off. but for now the pressure cooker is working well at home!
What, no recipe?

Some of us are Pressure Cooker(ly) challenged and need all the help we can get.

Besides, this topic seems to be more about science than cooking and I'll need to reproduce your results before we can honestly say that it worked.

Frank
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 16:02   #191

Boat: Newport 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
What, no recipe?
Frank
I am novice at PC cooking, as well, but this is what I made for lunch, yesterday:

15 Bean Soup

Buy a 1 lb. package of 15-Bean mix at the supermarket

1 cup beans
1 sml onion
1 cup diced meat (I used leftover ham)
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup water
salt
pepper
1 tblspn lemon-pepper
any other spices you like

Soak beans in HOT water, for about an hour; drain
combine beans, chicken stock, water, spices in pressure cooker
Bring to a boil (without lid)
Add onion, meat; secure lid; bring up to pressure
Cook 8 minutes at pressure; remove from heat; release pressure or let cool down on it's own.

Serve with corn bread, muffins, bread, whatever & a cold beer...
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 17:14   #192
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
PORK MEAT WITH BONES IN AND fAT
oops
cut pork meat into pieces, mebbe inch square--don0t be anal. doesnt matter what size the pieces ARE-- if there are bones, brown them too and stew with the meat
brown those pieces with onion diced and a bunch of garlic cloves--i used 5 this time. cannot use too much onion or garlic or cilantro.
sasonador para pozole y menudo--i use a coupla good pinches
bayleaf
oregano
caldo de tomate
i sprinkle the caLDO DE TOMATE ON THE MEAT AS IF IT WERE SALT AS IT BROWNS
STIR OCCASIONALLY TO KEEP FROM BURNING . browner the better...
oops
add cilantro
add 2 cans hominy and some water to cover the stew, and stew for a while--until pork is tender.
ok ye say-- what has this to do with pressure cdooker-- i make this in bottom of pressure cooker, as is a good heavy pot. the browning of the meat and onion must be without pressure, but the stewing it together can be done under pressure. .
i serve with avocado slices, minced onion and cilantro and sometimes cabbage sliced thin.
is called pozole.
i like it . is something i can feed neighbors that is good, nutritious and cheep...
the browning of the meat takes longer than the stewing part of the procedure.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 18:25   #193

Boat: O'Day 28
I've owned my Presto 4 qt PC for 10 years. Used for popcorn and pasta. It's embarrasing how little I cook. Last week after reading all this I cooked a big hunk of some kind of roast. Browned all over in the PC. Tossed in 1/2c wine & a cup of beef buillon. 25 min...tennnnnnnnnder...tasty.

Good stuff. Thanks.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 18:27   #194

Just made a pot of Mushroom Barley Soup in my PC. Of course I've got a foot and half of snow outside my door and more on the way tomorrow. It probably would not taste as good to those who are currently on boats in the tropics. But, when it's 19 degrees outside this is stuff is heaven.

Onion
Garlic
couple of carrots sliced
two or three stalks celery sliced
bay leaf
oregano & basil
mushrooms
barley 2/3 cup
4 cups beef broth (or bullion)
salt
pepper
Olive Oil

Soften Onion and garlic in hot oil. Throw in Mushrooms and sautee until they soften.
Add other ingredients. Lock lid & bring up to pressure. Turn down to low for twenty minutes. Either quick release or let pressure drop. Then mmmmm
Old 03-02-2011, 18:41   #195
cruiser

i make a chicken curry in a skillet... sliced chicken breasts, thin strips... two onions chopped up into small pieces...

brown onion (dark), then add chicken and brown chicken, then add curry mix.. (i like the kind in the box/tray... and i like medium hot...

then you can add carrots or water chestnuts, and I like the small chinese corn on the cobb thigns..

then cook some rice... and while hte rice is cooking, the curry sauce thickens up.. then when rice is done ladel the sauce with chicken onto the rice

sorry for not measurements of stuff... i never measure anyting except desert stuff.. and baking things...

Tags
cooking