Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2011, 18:41   #106
cruiser

thx, and damn, that would need a damn big pressure cooker...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 01:59   #107

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneycrew View Post
Please send a recipe for bread in the pressure cooker! We are heading off-shore and can't spare the LPG for oven-cooked bread.
To my knowledge "pressure cooker" bread is a bit of a misnomer. The recipes I have seen have you take the rubber seal out of the lid and use the PC as a dutch oven of sorts. The baking time is what it is. Does the oven in your boat use more LPG than a cooktop-burner run for the same amount of time?

How much LPG do you carry and how far are you going? Most people are limited by water and diesel, not cooking fuel.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 03:33   #108

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
Your PC should have come with a metal disc that fits in the bottom. after you brown the meat, put this disc back in the pot. Add liquid and start timing once the rocker starts rocking. that way you don't burn the bottom!!!! Once the rocker starts turn down to a simmer. it doesn't take much of a flame to keep the pressure up.
Old 18-01-2011, 03:58   #109
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
no pics, but it DID happen... when I was 8 or so my mom over pressured her pressure cooker. It worked as it should and the entire contents of the pot, pea soup if I recall correctly, came SPEWING out the relief valve. We were cleaning green junk off the ceiling and walls for weeks. It went everywhere!

But the pot didn't explode... the pressure just blows the valve open, like your hot water heater can do if it gets too hot.

The contemporary pressure cookers seem much more fool proof to me and I have never had a problem with mine. I use a 6 qt for cooking and a 23 qt pressure canner for processing 7 quarts at a time.

Slide an old sock around the glass jars for boat storage. They are pretty heavy duty glass.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 10:15   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneycrew View Post
Please send a recipe for bread in the pressure cooker! We are heading off-shore and can't spare the LPG for oven-cooked bread.

thanks!
It was over 35 years ago I popped the top off some Boston Brown Bread so have little left of the recipe except the name but courtesy of the www there's this:
Boston Brown Bread and other lowfat steamed breads for pressure cooker or crock pot/crockpot-- Ellen's Kitchen -- Recipebox

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 15:01   #111
cruiser

Pea soup will foam up and plug the rocker , unless you pour a bit of cooking oil on the top of the soup. Works well to keep brown rice from bubbling out the top as well.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 16:11   #112
cruiser

i wouldnt use a pc for soups or beans, as they are best cooked with slow cooker/crock pot....kinda wonder if there is a dc version of a crock pot or how much power a crock pot takes...

but yea, i can see sups and split peas bettin stuck in the pressure release. that would be bad...
Old 18-01-2011, 16:15   #113

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
i wouldnt use a pc for soups or beans, as they are best cooked with slow cooker/crock pot....kinda wonder if there is a dc version of a crock pot or how much power a crock pot takes...

but yea, i can see sups and split peas bettin stuck in the pressure release. that would be bad...
Beans have been a good deal in a PC for me.

Crock pots and being off the grid are not a good match.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 09:49   #114

Boat: 1986 35' Senator Sundeck - Skinny Dippin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutgone View Post
Your PC should have come with a metal disc that fits in the bottom. after you brown the meat, put this disc back in the pot. Add liquid and start timing once the rocker starts rocking. that way you don't burn the bottom!!!! Once the rocker starts turn down to a simmer. it doesn't take much of a flame to keep the pressure up.

I didn't get anything for the bottom of my pot...must be an "add on"...but I did a whole chicken last night on a lower heat, and it was AWESOME!!!

Thanks ya'll for sharing some wisdom!!
BessLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 09:54   #115
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the presto brand cookers all come with what is called a trivet,l the round lil aluminum traylet with slots for cooking meats and breads, tamales, etc. is easy to overlook it or throw it out thinking is something not wanted or needed--- neighbor threw out mine-- i want his hide...ye just dont find trivets in thrift stores anymore......they seem to go to the recycling station.......should be easy to make one, however....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 10:15   #116
cruiser

you can put anything that is heat tolerant in the bottom to basically lift the meat or food stuff off the actual surface of the pot.. but there are a couple types of 'trivets'. some are more 'solid' with holes to let the steam thru, some are just wire / screen with little bent wire to keep it off the bottom...
Old 20-01-2011, 10:34   #117
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
some of the wire ones are actually cake coolers-- mom uses those when she bakes me stuff. . they work great and are ancient...even older than i am...seems too many cakes and pies were disappearing off window sills long ago , so someone invented a way to cool the cakes and pies indoors instead of letting the neighbor kids have em anymore--- was a sad day for the neighbor kids, but a great day for aunties and grannies everywhere..LOL...
\ they DO make great supports for steaming home made tamales....and char siao bao (sho bao)(i am gringo--no spellee asianific--besides isnt in kat's vocabulary yet, so he doesnt know how to speel it)) white empanadas from filipines and therebouts..yummmmmy....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 10:36   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Miss Vickie on racks or trivets:
All About Pressure Cooker Racks and Trivets

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 10:58   #119
cruiser

i really wish i could search and post links like you guys.. i guess it is just a lazy gene or something...
Old 20-01-2011, 11:16   #120

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
I very rarely disagree with Brent, but his earlier statement that water does not expand when released from heat and pressure is incorrect and dangerous.
Water, when converting to steam expands 1700 to 1.
It is the basic principle behind water being used in firefighting. Atomized spray from the hose nozzles converts to steam, and absorbs the heat.
As a 20yr service, fire officer, and instructor, I taught this subject in depth.
Its also how steam engines operate.

Tags
cooking