Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 05:39   #1

Potable Water Capacity

Was wondering what the blue water folks consider a minimum... Without a desalination system.

I run two offshore fishing boats, one 35 and a 45 footer.

The smaller craft carries 50 gals, and we usually take a couple of 24-36 bottle cases.

The 45 only carries 35 gals, and has a fresh water shower.

Iíd like to see 100 gal min, and have the owner get a water maker to install.

Sound idea?

As always, thank you for the time and experience!
nonav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:58   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33 and OPB
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Potable Water Capacity

How long is the passage? How many people are aboard? Is there a saltwater pump to wash dishes?
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael -a link to my delivery website is in my profileó
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:00   #3

Snore ?
Lol

Time out can be 4-7 days, if no engine troubles or need to heave to.

We fish out to 300 miles, and there can be up to 5 pob on the larger craft.

Saltwater wash down is a needed and present feature on both boats.

Dishes?

These are paper plate people, except for my coffee mug, cookware and cutlery.

If we get stranded, I’d love not to activate EPIRB over water issues.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:18   #4

On our cruising boat 5 gallons per day per person includes daily drinking, cooking, showering, and dish washing. We are careful but not frugal with water.

If I was carrying guests for charter or people lacking self discipline then 50 to 100 percent more would be a minimum. Reducing showering frequency has a big impact on overall consumption.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:22   #5

Thank you Sparks!

That’s good info for planning water consumption.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:20   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

I think your application is quite different than the typical cruiser here. But for what it's worth, we carry nearly 200 gallons, and tend to be off the dock for months at a time. Salt water rinse, fresh water spritz. No built-in shower, although we do shower as needed (cockpit). Head uses no water (compost).

We average 1 gallon/person/day. I know because I use a flow meter, and this is what our usage comes out to. It's on the low end for sure, but we aren't water paranoid; we use it as we need. We're just conscious of its use.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:31   #7

all the questions asked are to get an idea of your consumption. Consumption is the key, not asking how much a cruiser might use.
I will assume that No one is showering on the boat. Obviously the boat with a shower, has really small tankage at 35 gallons. But obviously it has been working up until now for you guys. That leads me to believe that no one showers and as you mentioned dishes are not really being done.
With that said, you can get by with about one gallon per person per day. When I rock climb and live "on the wall", that is the amount of water I plan on.
alot easier than a water maker would be some refillable water jugs for the larger boat. OK, you can't run the shower but I have a feeling you dont run the shower as is.
When I think of water makers, I think of luxury. the ability to stay out for weeks at a time, take long showers if you want and do the dishes with no real regard to water usage. Not sure I think you really need it in your situation. Remember, they are expensive and need to be maintained. Oh ya, and they need to be maintained. Water in a jug? pretty easy maintenance
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:35   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

There is no clear answer to this question. People use from incredibly little to incredibly much fresh water at sea.

We carry 1000 liters, and with some jerry cans that got us through about 3 weeks in the Arctic with 5 people on board, before we were able to top off with jerry cans from a source. But the usage regime was fairly harsh; I would not like to be so limited, personally.

If you have a watermaker then your tankage isn't that important -- just make as necessary.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:40   #9

Iíd leave the tanks as they are and get a little Spectra Ventura watermaker. 6 gallons per hour. Run it everyday to fill the tank and then no one has to worry about their water use. Tastes better than bottled too.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:41   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

On a sidenote... I just returned from a St. Martin charter. 42-foot catamaran. We had 5 people on board (me + 4 crew). They did not limit water use and we went through about 300 liters (about 79 gallons) in less than 72 hours

The KEY is... discipline!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:47   #11

Boat: Morgan 382

This is a very personal question. I carry 80 gallons, plus some emergency water stored on deck. I have gone 30 days with 3 people and never touched the emergency water.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonav View Post
I run two offshore fishing boats, one 35 and a 45 footer.
Quote:
Snore ?
In all my years on powerboats, I've never hove to on a power boat. I wouldn't even know how. Are you talking about a sea anchor?

Quote:
If we get stranded, I’d love not to activate EPIRB over water issues.
If you get stranded, you WILL eventually have water issues. However, I'm not completely sure an EPIRB would be used for EITHER of those conditions. What you needed at the point of engine failure would be a tow, and long before you ran out of water.

The basic rule of thumb should be 1 gallon of water per person, per day for consumption. The rest of this seems almost nonsensical.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:55   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33 and OPB
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Snore ?
Lol

We fish out to 300 miles, and there can be up to 5 pob on the larger craft.

Saltwater wash down is a needed and present feature on both boats.

Dishes?

These are paper plate people, except for my coffee mug, cookware and cutlery.

If we get stranded, Iíd love not to activate EPIRB over water issues.
Glad you found humor in a legit question.

If you are using paper plates (ugh!) then you can budget about 1/2-3/4 gallon per person to drink. It is critical they drink that to avoid dehydration and to ensure they fully process their food. So .75 gal * 5 people * 6 days= 23 gallons to drink. This can be in jugs, so you can visually see how much drinking water there is. This water is NOT used to cook, as when cooking the water is boiled and therefore clear of bugs.

Add to that showers. On a delivery we shower every 3rd day. It is a true 'navy' shower. Water on to get wet, water off, suds up, rinse off- DONE. 300NM is 2+ days on a sailboat. You should be well aware water is critical before then.

Add to that +/- a gallon a day for coffee, and cooking.

If you have saltwater to wash dishes- great. If not, the faucet should never be more than 1/2 open. This can be a major use of water. BUT if you buy and keep your drinking water in jugs, you always know how much you have. Therefore, you don't need to pop the EPIRB because you are thirst.....
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael -a link to my delivery website is in my profileó
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 13:18   #14

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Independent of how much water is consumed is what to do in case of a leak.

It is NOT unusual to pump your fresh water into the bilge due to a failure of a hose or connection.

Thus, your water plan must include consideration for same, such as an independent second tank, water in jugs/bottles/etc.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 23:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Glad you found humor in a legit question.

If you are using paper plates (ugh!) then you can budget about 1/2-3/4 gallon per person to drink. It is critical they drink that to avoid dehydration and to ensure they fully process their food. So .75 gal * 5 people * 6 days= 23 gallons to drink. This can be in jugs, so you can visually see how much drinking water there is. This water is NOT used to cook, as when cooking the water is boiled and therefore clear of bugs.

Add to that showers. On a delivery we shower every 3rd day. It is a true 'navy' shower. Water on to get wet, water off, suds up, rinse off- DONE. 300NM is 2+ days on a sailboat. You should be well aware water is critical before then.

Add to that +/- a gallon a day for coffee, and cooking.

If you have saltwater to wash dishes- great. If not, the faucet should never be more than 1/2 open. This can be a major use of water. BUT if you buy and keep your drinking water in jugs, you always know how much you have. Therefore, you don't need to pop the EPIRB because you are thirst.....
I appreciate the questions!

Have to keep a sense of humor with this crew, who like to just get on and go.

They showed up one day while I was readying to change out a bad battery, wires hanging in engine compartment.

Closed the batch without looking, buried food under 400 pounds of ice, while I was helping out for an hour on another boat and weíre ready to shove off.

They had me wrap things up with only one battery and tie wrapped the loose cables.

I bowed out on that trip, with an electronic suite that pulls 45+ amps.

Getting stranded is a possibility with this crew, so Iíll take all the advice I can get.

Tags
water