Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2017, 08:49   #1

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49
Pool chlorine instead of bleach to clean water tanks

Does anyone use pool chlorine instead of bleach to purify their water tanks and system. I flush my tanks twice a year with it and just wondered if anyone else does and what ratios they use?
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 08:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Pool chlorine instead of bleach to clean water tanks

Pool chlorine is I believe calcium hypochlorate. Liquid bleach is sodium hypochlorate.
I believe the pool chlorine can leave calcium deposits and the bleach not, seeing as how cheap bleach is I would not go the pool chlorine route.
My Father used to use bleach in a plaster pool because the calcium or pool chlorine would build up on the plaster and eat up kids feet, ever seen a kids toes when they have spent the day in the pool?

I assume you have plastic tanks?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 09:22   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Pool chlorine is I believe calcium hypochlorate. Liquid bleach is sodium hypochlorate.
I believe the pool chlorine can leave calcium deposits and the bleach not, seeing as how cheap bleach is I would not go the pool chlorine route.
My Father used to use bleach in a plaster pool because the calcium or pool chlorine would build up on the plaster and eat up kids feet, ever seen a kids toes when they have spent the day in the pool?

Ah... Well... Perhaps in your neck of the woods but in most places, "Pool Chlorine" and household "Laundry Bleach" are both sodium hypochlorite, which is derived from salt. The "white stuff" you see in a pool that hasn't had its water changed from time to time is salt precipitate and, in some cases, calcium carbonate arising from the "plaster" or stucco/concrete used on the pool which arises from poor pH balance. In fact, water in a pool can become "salty" from the breakdown of the pool bleach over an extended period unless the water is periodically replaced. In most all cases, the only difference between pool bleach and laundry bleach is the concentration of the agent with "pool bleach" being a much greater concentration.

Beyond the foregoing, using excessive bleach in one's water system would be very unwise. There are effective cleaning agents that one can use to clean out ones system although one will need to do several or more repeated flushes, followed with a flush with a white vinegar solution, before the system is really clean. (Of course, one also needs to replace all of the cartridges in the water filters with new before the job is fully done.)

BTDT...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 09:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Used to work for a company that had a division selling pool chemicals and CalHypo (calcuim hypochlorite) was one of their main products. Seems both sodium and calcium chlorines are used in pools. I believe they also went into municipal water treatment systems.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 09:29   #5

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Household bleach is usually a 6% concentration (although some of the cheaper stuff is 3%), while pool chlorine can typically be found in strength between 10% and 12%. All of this is sodium hypochlorite, and works the same in sanitizing your water.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 09:41   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe it is just a down South thing, but apparently Sodium hypochlorate clumps up as it absorbs moisture, where calcium does not?

Ingredients -- Calcium hypochlorite
Old 28-02-2017, 09:57   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if your tanks are stainless dono t do this. if plastic-- go for it.
the strong cheicals kill the welds and you will also have that issue with which i am currently dealing---ie, gods donot make enough jb weld for the welds of m y tanks.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:00   #8

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

The big tablets of "chlorine" carried at WalMart in the summer are 99% trichloro-s-triazinetrione. Ground up to a powder 1/2 teaspoon puts up to 10ppm Cl in the water in my 30 gal tanks depending on the water's chlorine demand. The stuff is 90% chlorine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroisocyanuric_acid

Last year I bought "Clorox Bleach Crystals (Regular Scent)" at Target. It is sodium dichloroisocyanurate. I may give it a try this year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium...roisocyanurate

We add chlorine to our water tanks to bring the water up to sort of like "light swimming pool" (0.5 to 1.5 ppm), then we pass the drinking water through a charcoal/0.5 micron filter before drinking it. Except for a volume reduction, I see little extra benefit from using things other than Clorox, although others claim otherwise. Practical Sailor had an article a while back.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:05   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just for those of us that have metal tanks, may consider not. Mine are aluminum for example, Zee's apparently stainless.
So far with three years as the sample, I have filtered out the chlorine prior to filling with little issue, I once started getting a sulfur smell and then I filled the tanks without filtering the chlorine out of the city water supply and that handled it, Seems maybe very, very little chlorine is required?
Then people with watermakers, I assume never have to add chlorine to the tank?
It seems to me the secret is to continually "turn" your supply meaning go through a tank or so every week, and I believe water temp has a lot to do with it too, surely colder water is more likely to stay clean longer, it's why we refrigerate food?
Old 01-03-2017, 09:06   #10

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

OP appears to have solved a non-problem. With bleach cheap and widely available and the small amounts needed to disinfect a tank there is absolutely no point in seeking alternatives. Now if you want to discuss Clorox vs. private label...
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
OP appears to have solved a non-problem. With bleach cheap and widely available and the small amounts needed to disinfect a tank there is absolutely no point in seeking alternatives. Now if you want to discuss Clorox vs. private label...
I have to tend to agree. While the collective knowledge is impressive, and on principal the science is interesting, it is somewhat irrelevant. We're talking about pennies to the spoonful on a yearly basis.

It cost more in labor for me to read this than I would have saved pursuing alternative 'solutions'.

We might as well debate the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:44   #12

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
Does anyone use pool chlorine instead of bleach to purify their water tanks and system. I flush my tanks twice a year with it and just wondered if anyone else does and what ratios they use?
Instead of bleach, we use a purpose made water system sanitizing product: Neutra Sul HP41N Professional Grade Oxidizer [for cleaning/sanitizing potable water tanks and plumbing- similar to 7% hydrogen peroxide, but better.]

This won't harm anything in the water system [we have 316 stainless steel potable water tanks] has no odors of its own, is cheap, and oxidizes to potable water if flushing tanks after a 'flash' treatment is not an option. [i.e., It is used to sanitize water to make it potable.]

In case this is of interest.

Cheers! Bill
Old 01-03-2017, 10:01   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Instead of bleach, we use a purpose made water system sanitizing product: Neutra Sul HP41N Professional Grade Oxidizer [for cleaning/sanitizing potable water tanks and plumbing- similar to 7% hydrogen peroxide, but better.]

This won't harm anything in the water system [we have 316 stainless steel potable water tanks] has no odors of its own, is cheap, and oxidizes to potable water if flushing tanks after a 'flash' treatment is not an option. [i.e., It is used to sanitize water to make it potable.]

Cheers! Bill
Is of interest but according to the MSDS this is hydrogen peroxide 5-10% concentration. Can you elaborate on what difference you see between Neutro Sul and regular hydrogen peroxide?

By the way, plain old hydrogen peroxide H2O2 does readily decompose to form water and oxygen.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:13   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post

Cheers! Bill
It is very interesting.
Yes I know it's just 7% Hydrogen peroxide, however what is the dilution ratio? I have been looking for a way to sterilize my tank if need be, but have been afraid of chlorine, bromine and any other way I have found, even played with UV light as a concept, but it is apparently absorbed very quickly in water, so you not sterilizing a tank with it, unless its empty.

Yes Hydrogen peroxide decomposes into hydrogen and oxygen, Germans experimented with it being submarine fuel, but it's way too explosive for that, makes great rocket fuel though
Not 7% though.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:32   #15

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

FRG tanks molded in.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tanks, water