Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2017, 03:14   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Perfect hard boiled eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Thankyou weavis.
As a plunderer of the planet earths resources, for which you should be truely ashamed, I am surprised that you ended up mistakenly owning such an energy efficient device as the Instant Pot.
I have a lot of energy efficient pieces of equipment. My two clinics are 60% solar, which will soon stop here in Spain because the government is going against solar for economic reasons, ie keeping the electric company, the most expensive in Europe in business.

I truly (correct spelling) object to being told I must be "ashamed" of a course of action or being accused of being a plunderer of the earths resources. When did you get put in charge of what is the correct way to treat the earth or dictate how to power my boat?

It is a form of utter arrogance on your part which must be resisted on all levels. You have no idea who I am or what I do or how I live my life and yet you feel compelled to make sweeping statements as to how I must conduct myself.

Stop making a fuss Fuss......... enjoy your life with the facilities that are available to you that suit your conscience but please do not attempt to saddle your views on the rest of us. First it is rude, and secondly it is rude.

NOw excuse me while I go and put on charge my electric bicycle and plug in the electric car... I will of course be going out in a diesel powered boat later in the week which gets used on the River here because Sails are only useful on the Sea.. As you can see from the view of my apartment.... its difficult to have the mast up due to several low bridges near the city centre..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 03:23   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Before the instant Pot, I used to steam eggs in a three tier electric steamer I have. I would steam fish and vegetable and fill the top tray with eggs so as to utilise everything in one cook time....

I use a lot of boiled eggs... Love them.
Old 27-04-2017, 03:40   #33

Boat: Valiant 40

I've always used the method in the video. If I don't have ice I just lop off a minute at the end.

I generally go for bring to a boil, take off the heat, and let sit covered for 8 minutes, then dump in "cold" water, whatever I've got. That gives you a "just cooked" yolk with the whole egg tender and yummy. Anything over 10 minutes and you're looking at while and yellow rubber balls with chalky yolks. Yuck.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 03:45   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

These are useful too for boiling on stovetop..

Old 04-06-2017, 07:24   #35

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Video shows how to do it and gives examples of eggs cooked at different times. Not all of us have ice in that case a little experimentation with how long they're allowed to sit before being taken out will be required.https://youtu.be/FTha4zARGN4
The video shows exactly how I hard cook eggs ashore, although anything more than 12 minutes seems rather over done to me.

At sea I use a bucket of sea water, changed a couple of times, to cool the eggs.

If I'm making pasta (12 minutes, remember?) I hard cook eggs in the same pot, same water, same time. If the eggs aren't washed already I wash them first of course. Same cooling method.

Crew eat as much out of boredom as hunger so foods like hard cooked eggs and oranges are always on the snack list. Peeling things takes time and helps get through a night watch.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:46   #36

The most energy efficient and fastest way to cook eggs in these modern times is with an electric egg cooker.
Advantages ...
5 x less energy used than any method mentioned so far in this thread...Uses only 400 watts
Put a rubber band over the lid and cook in a force 12
3x faster than any method mentioned so far in this thread.
10x safer than any method mentioned so far in this thread, no chance of getting scalded.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:35   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
The most energy efficient and fastest way to cook eggs in these modern times is with an electric egg cooker.
Advantages ...
5 x less energy used than any method mentioned so far in this thread...Uses only 400 watts
Put a rubber band over the lid and cook in a force 12
3x faster than any method mentioned so far in this thread.
10x safer than any method mentioned so far in this thread, no chance of getting scalded.
Footnotes please?

A quick search on Google shows electric egg cookers run about 350 W which is roughly 1200 BTU/hr. Your 400 W number is 1360 BTU/hr. The cooking time is the same regardless of method. That makes propane look pretty good for energy efficiency.

5 x less energy compared to what? Not gas. Not even induction, especially using the method described in this thread.

3 x faster how? Cooking time is driven by the chemistry of cooking. See McGee.

10 x safer on what scale? By whose credible measure? The couple of YouTube videos I watched all said to be careful about steam burns.

That's even before considering the space consumption of a uni-tasker in a boat galley.

I am admittedly an Alton Brown fan Hard-Cooked Heaven | Food Network - I use a bucket of sea water instead of an ice bath.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:39   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Footnotes please?

A quick search on Google shows electric egg cookers run about 350 W which is roughly 1200 BTU/hr. Your 400 W number is 1360 BTU/hr. The cooking time is the same regardless of method. That makes propane look pretty good for energy efficiency.

5 x less energy compared to what? Not gas. Not even induction, especially using the method described in this thread.

3 x faster how? Cooking time is driven by the chemistry of cooking. See McGee.

10 x safer on what scale? By whose credible measure? The couple of YouTube videos I watched all said to be careful about steam burns.

That's even before considering the space consumption of a uni-tasker in a boat galley.

I am admittedly an Alton Brown fan Hard-Cooked Heaven | Food Network - I use a bucket of sea water instead of an ice bath.

A quick search on google... that's the problem with these forums... absolutely no real world experience....the questions above show that you have never used one. You cannot compare this device to any other egg boiling method as all others boil a large volume of water. The egg cooker boils the exact Milliliter amount and not one drop more. at the exact point the last drop evaporates the eggs are cooked to perfection.
But of course you didn't think of that and started googling btu's.
The cooking time is not the same....
You will save a lot of energy by having one.... it's crazy that i have defend something so obvious if you cook eggs a few times a week on a boat.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:49   #39

Never expected boiled eggs to be as complicated as this. LOL
KarelKronqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:04   #40
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I like my eggs poached...works perfect every time
https://youtu.be/VMWuzNlrlUw
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:12   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

Crew eat as much out of boredom as hunger so foods like hard cooked eggs and oranges are always on the snack list. Peeling things takes time and helps get through a night watch.
You are braver than me.....a crew full of hard boiled eggs in a closed up bridge in heavy weather.....
Phweee!!!!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:04   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I like my eggs poached...works perfect every time
https://youtu.be/VMWuzNlrlUw
A microwave!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
You are braver than me.....a crew full of hard boiled eggs in a closed up bridge in heavy weather.....
Phweee!!!!
We've already determined we're in different parts of the market. After a couple of days I smell so bad I can't smell anything else. All the baby wipes in the world are not enough.

Don't make me post my seven baby wipe hygiene routine. *grin*

Tags
oil