Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2018, 06:48   #1

Boat: Able Whistler 32 Sloop -- SOLD
Origo Stove -- Scorched Fuel Container

Hello Cruisers:
Just a quick tip for those who use an Origo stove: keep an eye on the fuel level in the fuel containers!

I'm a newb to alcohol stoves. I've only used mine for a little while. The stove works great and is simple and safe to use -- I like it a lot and am happy to have it. No intent to replace.

Up until today, I've been careful to keep the fuel container filled. But, this morning as I was cooking breakfast, I noticed an unusual smell. Not really a burning odor, but more like toast on the verge, and I wasn't making toast.

I shut down the stove. When it cooled I found that the top of the fuel container had scorched. Apparently, I had let the fuel level drop too low. So while there was enough alcohol to ignite, the spongy material had started to scorch on top, probably due, in part, to the reflected heat off the bottom of the pan.

I refilled it; it's working fine. I imagine at some point I will notice a decrease in efficiency and have to replace the fuel container (~$95!).

Anyway, that was the universe schooling me today. Fill the fuel container!

Tuition paid, lesson learned! New mistakes tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	origoscorch.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	161918  
chasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, origo, stove