Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2011, 04:23   #31
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: OK, How do you REALLY feel about cooking aboard?

The effort put in seems to make such a difference. I just spent the morning battling through sandstorms (at least the roads were clear) and a language barrier to get the foreberth cushions cut, and oh the worries.... Anyway, back home and starving but couldn't be bothered to cook, so threw together a quick boat dish.... 20p pack of noodles, can of tuna, half can of sweetcorn, an onion & half a bulb of garlic.... Hmmmm.... so easy, but so good. Way better than a pot noodle!

And that's one I often throw together on a boat. It's just so easy to cook boat meals! Hmm. I can still tasted the garlic!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 13:03   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

We left the UK in July 2008 and have been living on board since. I've become a much more accomplished cook and love producing things that we're really missing from the UK (good curries, chinese etc). Luckily my parents are great at sending out spices etc when I need them and the internet is an invaluable tool for finding recipes.

I've had a great day in the galley today - spicy lentil burgers, gingerbread, soda bread, almond biscuits and sweet chilli dipping sauce! Not all on the same plate though :-)
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 13:11   #33

Boat: grampian 26

So what's for dinner and can I come over?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 14:03   #34

Boat: looking

One priority I've had when searching for my next boat is a stove with a decent size of oven & the ability to hit 400F/205C degrees. If I can't make roast beef & yorkshire pudding, at least once per week, I'd rather not sail.
Actually, the Roast isn't that important, but the yorkshire pudding is crucial!
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 08:08   #35
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

In our family it's just the opposite. You toucha my galley, I breaka you face. That is unless some piece of gear needs fixing. I am the family caregiver, so it's in my DNA to deliver good food to crew and guests. Cooking can be creative, satisfying, challenging or a drudge depending on outlook. The worst chore is cooking for others when you yourself are seasick or otherwise unable to face food prep, looks and smells. To present meals at these times is a true test for galley cooks.
Old 14-04-2011, 08:29   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
cleaning up suxxxxx bad--is only me 'n' bubba daboatkat..he isnt a good cleaner except of himself...
Are you guys still at the cleaning stage? You must be quite new to cruising!

;-)))
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 08:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
I've had a great day in the galley today - spicy lentil burgers, gingerbread, soda bread, almond biscuits and sweet chilli dipping sauce! Not all on the same plate though :-)
Norna, where are you?

Norna, are you single?

Norna, I like the things on your table ...

;-)

Hugs,
barnie
Old 14-04-2011, 08:33   #38
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Ok.. thread drift, a little bit but after you cook how does the clean up happen?

We have mesh bags for dunking dirty dishes to get the chunks off, then a little soapy hot scrub to get the grease, another dunk to rinse and then a quick dunk in a pan of fresh to remove the salt... cause I HATE when my mug of cocoa tastes salty...

Hang the bag to drip dry and yer good ta go.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 08:43   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

think my husband might have something to say if everyone comes to dinner!
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 08:55   #40

Cleaning: offshore: some dish cleaning liquid in a small bucket, some seawater, sponge. I will wipe the stuff clean the dunk it overboard in a net or just one by one on a string if there are just few items. We avoid utensils that would corrode.

Tea tastes somewhat salty from such a mug, but then again, what the heck, we are sailing.

We have some arcopal mugs and bowls that have the mate finish inside and these are best - sort of like teflon surface - nothing sticks.

Cleaning the work area is a bit of a bummer as we have too much varnish / wood finish there. I think a gelcoat or SS finish would be much less trouble.

b.
Old 14-04-2011, 17:37   #41

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

I Love to cook. Cleaning isn't that bad either, but do the first rinse to get the major crud off over board. Small galley requires a little planning and prep, but if you love to eat, you should learn to love to cook.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 22:40   #42
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
One priority I've had when searching for my next boat is a stove with a decent size of oven & the ability to hit 400F/205C degrees. If I can't make roast beef & yorkshire pudding, at least once per week, I'd rather not sail.
Actually, the Roast isn't that important, but the yorkshire pudding is crucial!
Mike
I've actually done that on board and there wasn't a clean dish or pot or pan afterwords. Tasted great but there are too many other dishes that don't take quite so much prep. Now popovers, not necessarily yorkshire pudding, are not too bad. I'm not too sure the popover tray I use at home, will fit in the boat's oven but a baking pan would do. I don't have a blender or mixer on board but I do have a small immersion blender that I use for soups, batters and such. It doesn't take up much room but has been very useful.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 05:15   #43

We bought a restaurant-grade cordless immersion blender and love it! Generally, enjoy cooking together when the weather is chilly; as soon as it turns warm we're into light quick and easy.

As for cleanup, we carry 100 gal fresh water, which lasts us about 3 weeks, so we have never felt the need to wash with seawater; just use good management practices. On our previous boat, with limited tankage, we got a (clean, new) one of those garden sprayers used for pesticides and pressure-washed the dishes - stunningly effective and used almost no water.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 12:26   #44
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

I generally enjoy cooking on the boat (I'd better -- that's what I blog about), but I sometimes miss the option to call out for a pizza after a long day -- you know, when you came into a remote anchorage under sail alone, in 3 knots of wind, after the raw water pump died on the diesel, and then you installed the spare, and now it's 10 PM and you're starving.

My solution: a list of 5 dinners I can make in 5 minutes flat, and keep the ingredients on hand! Never know when you'll need them.

The Boat Galley - making your boat life better with a weekly newsletter, free and low-cost courses, handy references and document organizers
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 12:39   #45

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Dockside or in a nice anchorage I have made some pretty complex meals. Often wishing I had more than 2 burners. I don't have an oven.

Pulling into an anchorage tired and hungry often sees me eating hummus and chips, or something straight from a can.

I love cooking. I usually start my day with a cuppa, oatmeal, and an egg. Sometimes english muffins, pancakes or frybread. Dinner is usually pressure cooked veggies and rice.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking