Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2012, 19:14   #1
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Non Pressure Alcohol Stove

That's what I have on my boat, although I've never used it. I looked at it today, and I think it's missing some things. There are two cups for the two burners, but NOTHING in or on them -- nothing to absorb the alcohol, and no way to control the flame. Shouldn't it have a lid that can partially or completely cover the flame to put it out?

Can anyone tell me where I would get these things? I've looked around on line with no success.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:31   #2

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
We used one of the Oringo (sp) 2 burner units on our 1st cruiser. The cannisters have cotton in them with wire mesh to hold the cotton in. On the stove top there was a slot with part of a wheel showing, this wheel controlled a disc that covered the opening in the cannisters. You turn the wheel so the opening in the cannister is fully exposed, light the alcohol & control the flame or put it out with the position of the disc. New cannisters are available. WM used to have them. We cook everything on ours, they are not as hot as propane so cook times are longer. If used properly they are as safe as any other method of cooking. Always fill the cannister off the boat & water will extinguish the flame.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 22:34   #3

Re: Non Pressure Alcohol Stove

Had a non pressurized alcohol stove on our first boat. I dont remember the brand, but it took so long to boil a kettle that we got rid of it and put in a pressure kerosene stove that worked well. On later boats we had propane and loved it. ___My two cents worth.___Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 07:49   #4

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

We had an ORIGO 2 burner which we filled with Alcool Bruler bought in france cheap. I tested the boil rate as I had heard about the slow boiling. Gaz plus kettle with 1 lt cold water. Boil time 5.4 mins. Origo plus kettle with 1 lt cold water boil time 4.8 mins. same kettle same water. We use a pressure cooker alot and on the origo it works realy well. I have cooked a 3 course meal for 6 people on it with no probs. If the origo ever got out of hand (prob never ) you can chuck the whole thing out as there is no pipe work
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 19:33   #5

Boat: hunter 376

We have a Hunter 31, also with non-pressurized alchohol stove/oven. There is a screen and ceramic "wick" overlying the tank which forms each burner, and a small plate that pivots over the burner as the temp knobs are turned. The oven is exactly the same, just a single burner inside with a plate to partially cover the burner and adjust the temp. We like the stove for simplicity and reliability, but do get tired of fuel loss due to evaporation. BTW, we burn methyl hydrate in it, its far cheaper than cooking alchohol.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 19:54   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
We have a Hunter 31, also with non-pressurized alchohol stove/oven. There is a screen and ceramic "wick" overlying the tank which forms each burner, and a small plate that pivots over the burner as the temp knobs are turned. The oven is exactly the same, just a single burner inside with a plate to partially cover the burner and adjust the temp. We like the stove for simplicity and reliability, but do get tired of fuel loss due to evaporation. BTW, we burn methyl hydrate in it, its far cheaper than cooking alchohol.

Thank you for that information! Someone told me I have to open the stove, as in lift the top off, to put the fuel in? There is a metal tab extending down that says "press," but pressing it does nothing, and I cannot find a way to lift the top off.

Any clues for me? Right now I'm just doing day sailing and two-day cruises, but I'm hoping to do a longer one, and my crew just *might* want a cup of coffee in the morning...

Methyl hydrate. I'll look into that, thanks. Does it burn hotter than alcohol?
Old 26-03-2012, 20:18   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I have a twenty something year old Origo on my boat. It is a flush mount two burner. It takes a bit of force to open the top to get access to the burner cans. My wife loves it. Origo provides round neoprene discs to cover the burners when not in use to prevent evaporation. Unfortunately you have to open the top of the stove to get access to the cans to install the neoprene covers. If I had a bigger boat, I'd install a propane system, but the Origo works for us now.
Old 26-03-2012, 20:33   #8

Boat: hunter 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Thank you for that information! Someone told me I have to open the stove, as in lift the top off, to put the fuel in? There is a metal tab extending down that says "press," but pressing it does nothing, and I cannot find a way to lift the top off.

Any clues for me? Right now I'm just doing day sailing and two-day cruises, but I'm hoping to do a longer one, and my crew just *might* want a cup of coffee in the morning...

Methyl hydrate. I'll look into that, thanks. Does it burn hotter than alcohol?
Yeah, we have the same tab that says "push" and it does nothing . I had to fight with it to get the top off to fuel the burners. You may have to pry and tinker with it to figure out how to get it on and off easily. There should be fueling and usage instructions on the burners themselves when you access them. The methyl hydrate is just far cheaper than stove alchohol.
Good luck
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 20:38   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Methyl hydrate is also know as methyl alcohol, methanol and wood alcohol. It has more BTU per gallon than ethanol or denatured alcohol. In fact denatured alcohol (stove alcohol) is ethanol with methyl alcohol added to make it undrinkable. I've never tried it in my stove but I'm going to. It should make the stove even hotter. Shorebird, are you sure it won't blow up in my face?
Old 27-03-2012, 04:41   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
... Methyl hydrate. I'll look into that, thanks. Does it burn hotter than alcohol?
Methyl Hydrate (also known as Methanol, Methyl Alcohol, Wood Alcohol, Wood Spirits, and Gas Line Anti-Freeze) IS alcohol.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 05:31   #11

Boat: Tartan 30

I bought one of silicone baking pans from the thrift store for abou $.10 and cut circles out of the bottom. Use them to cover the canisters when not in use to prevent evaporation. It's kinda a PITA, so I only use one at a time now, since I only cook on one burner at a time, just cover the other one and switch to the other burner when the first one runs dry.
Old 27-03-2012, 08:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
We found the same problem but I found an answer. Get hold of one of those silicone sheets and cut a couple of discs to cover the burner then lift up the top and put them over the top of the cannisters and close again. So we dont forget we have a little disc of the silicone o a bit of cord which we hang on the burner knob. Hope this helps. Regards Pete & Sally
Old 28-03-2012, 06:51   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Methyl hydrate is also know as methyl alcohol, methanol and wood alcohol. It has more BTU per gallon than ethanol or denatured alcohol. In fact denatured alcohol (stove alcohol) is ethanol with methyl alcohol added to make it undrinkable. I've never tried it in my stove but I'm going to. It should make the stove even hotter. Shorebird, are you sure it won't blow up in my face?

OBVIOUSLY I'm no expert here! ... that said, I researched methyl hydrate after I saw it mentioned here, and found it listed as, among other things, "boat fuel." The report that it burns hotter than the other alcohol is very good news. I'm not going to refit for propane. that would be expensive, and when I'm in the slip I plug in and use electrical appliances. I'm perfectly happy with "picnic" food when sailing, but I know some crew will REALLY want that cup of coffee in the morning. We'll just have the first person up set a pot on the fire.
Old 28-03-2012, 06:54   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Methyl Hydrate (also known as Methanol, Methyl Alcohol, Wood Alcohol, Wood Spirits, and Gas Line Anti-Freeze) IS alcohol.

Gord, it's a different kind of alcohol than denatured alcohol. I think everyone is clear that we're talking about two different kinds of alcohol for a non-pressurized alcohol stove.
Old 28-03-2012, 07:23   #15

In France we buy Alcool Bruler which is 90% methanol. It s about €1.50 per litre and works as well as gaz. As I said in a previous post we get 10 days for 1 lt fuel cooking 2 meals and many coffees a day