Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2017, 06:14   #46

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Newbie.. where to refill water tanks when on mooring/anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrill View Post
Is tying up the fuel dock really an issue in some places? I haven't been to a ton of fuel docks, but the only time I was at one that was remotely busy was in Miami Beach... On New Year's Day... And even then, no one was waiting for us to move. But I imagine it can be an issue at times.
It is an issue if you're the guy circling around waiting while somebody takes on free water. And it's an issue for a marina owner if you decide to go someplace else because the fuel dock is tied up with boats taking on free water. And remember, this water isn't "free" to the marina. They must pay for it.

And I have had to wait in line for fuel several times.

Think of it like this: You go into a restaurant and order a meal. If you ask, they will bring you free water. Would you have the balls to go into a restaurant, sit down at a table and ask for free water without ordering something that you will be paying for?
Old 20-04-2017, 06:33   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

We have made some experiments joining H with O onboard but found good supply of 2 is required. We tried to generate 2 on our iPhones but all we got were 0 and 1, so this is a blind alley.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 06:43   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It is an issue if you're the guy circling around waiting while somebody takes on free water. And it's an issue for a marina owner if you decide to go someplace else because the fuel dock is tied up with boats taking on free water. And remember, this water isn't "free" to the marina. They must pay for it.

And I have had to wait in line for fuel several times.

Think of it like this: You go into a restaurant and order a meal. If you ask, they will bring you free water. Would you have the balls to go into a restaurant, sit down at a table and ask for free water without ordering something that you will be paying for?
I get being annoyed at waiting for some one taking on free water. I was more asking if busy fuel docks are a common issue, I just haven't been at a fuel dock where there were ever boats lined up waiting for access. But like I said in my original post, I don't have a ton of experience at fuel docks.
CheapThrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 06:55   #49

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Yes fuel dock space is precious and waiting in line with wind and current, traffic can get a little nervy- especially if someone is dawdling or chatting too long with the attendant, etc.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 15:23   #50

I am very sorry if you feel annoyed waiting while someone takes on water.

Very often the fuel dock is the water dock all at once.

Very often water is NOT free and you buy it at this dock, just like fuel.

So there is nothing to get annoyed about.

It used to be sailing was a gentlemen's sport. Gentlemen do not hurry, do we?

b.
Old 20-04-2017, 16:14   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
It used to be sailing was a gentlemen's sport. Gentlemen do not hurry, do we?
Unfortunately there is a long history of "gentlemen" feeling that they were superior to other, non-"gentlemen", and becoming upset if such low life types inconvenienced them in any way.

Fore-lock tugging and all that...

Jim
Old 20-04-2017, 18:52   #52
mcm

Wait till 2018, come to Canada and offer the dock hands mary jane smokes, all will be legal.

I am afraid that too many have experienced the lack of gentlemanly manners the sailing community exhibits when it comes to getting "free stuff" seems they seem to think they are the entitled crowd because they don't pollute, discharge overboard sewage, use precious electricity or that terrible fossil fuel stuff.
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 07:12   #53

Someone said the next World War will be over water supplies. That guy was right ;-)

But in my book everybody has the right to use the dock. Here in Europe it is only places like Palma de Majorca and other such posh rubbish where the water guy can get scorned by the fuel guy. Elsewhere, one simply waits for the dock space and then you do your thing, water, fuel or air and then you make space for the next guy.

Actually, where we are (Las Palmas) if you tried to tell someone taking on water (free here) that they are 'using the valuable dock space to get something 'free' while others wait to spend their oh so important money on their oh so costly fuel' then well next time you could get asked to stay in Texas and do your shooting at home.

This may have something to do with how reality is owned. Here, some of the dock space is public, we paid for building it, we have the right to use it. I am aware in countries where everything is private, life can be a bit more difficult to live.

So it all varies from place to place. Civilisation is not spread evenly.

I never heard a bad word from anybody here nor in Martinique or Guadeloupe. Maybe in Antigua or Puerto Rico it is a different story.

I did ask to hear the names of the places where we are not welcome at the fuel dock but there was no response.

So, where is it that you are not supposed to take 'just water' at the fuel dock?

b.
Old 21-04-2017, 08:38   #54

Boat: Beneteau 323

I didn't mind paying for water on some islands in the Bahamas, after all they run small desalination plants etc, but was quite offended when Careel Bay Marina in Pittwater Australia metred their tap water at the 5c/litre.

Will certain not be stopping at and/or buying anything from Careel Bay Marina in Pittwater ever again. That's Sydney for you, I suppose. Don't stop there unless you have very deep pockets.

We usually fill out water tanks when we buy fuel or use 5 gallon jerry cans to cart tap water to the boat. We also have about 20 1/2 gallon plastic bottles we fill for drinking.

We talk about buying a water maker, but it never seems to make it to the top of the priority list. Have big water tanks now that never seem to let us down.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 11:10   #55

Boat: Ganley Shadow 34 -Steel sloop for bluewater cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

"If you smoke, it is a good practice (HA HA HA) to pull out this best pack and offer a cigarette to each dock guy. "

"I mean it. If you talk to people and show them some respect nobody really refuses you anything. "
b.
Cigarettes at a fuel dock - Ha ha ha.
And you let your bias show there - it could be a dock "attendant", male, female or indeterminable.

I won't carry cigarettes on principle but something recognisable like a small packet of biscuits, nuts, dates, fruit juice might go down well as kind gesture and they can even take that home to the family.
Above all I agree with your comments about showing respect. It's universally appreciated.
indiana_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 12:20   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana_ct View Post
Cigarettes at a fuel dock - Ha ha ha.
And you let your bias show there - it could be a dock "attendant", male, female or indeterminable.

I won't carry cigarettes on principle but something recognisable like a small packet of biscuits, nuts, dates, fruit juice might go down well as kind gesture and they can even take that home to the family.
Above all I agree with your comments about showing respect. It's universally appreciated.
No bias meant, just the way the language used to be when I was learning it. Now I do try to use the PC words when I think twice but I think it is more natural when a job actually has somewhat more balanced distribution of sexes. In some places, some jobs are sort of taken over by only one sex. Must be a historical thing.

Which effectively got me thinking if I ever met a fuel dock girl. And yes I did once. I think it was in Noumea, NC. Amazing a job can be so dominated by one sex across so many countries we visited.

Are female fuel dock crews more common in the US or Canada?

b.
Old 29-04-2017, 12:53   #57
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
... If you smoke, it is a good practice (HA HA HA) to pull out this best pack and offer a cigarette to each dock guy....
At any age I would have considered that an insult. Or at the very least, a sign of ignorance. First, I dislike smoke, did from when I was 5. Second, that's like tossing me a nickle. A sincere "thank you" would have been better.
Old 29-04-2017, 13:48   #58

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Which effectively got me thinking if I ever met a fuel dock girl. And yes I did once. I think it was in Noumea, NC. Amazing a job can be so dominated by one sex across so many countries we visited.

b.
Here in Kingston Canada, on Lake Ontario, girls are well represented on the service docks, and dockhands at the local marinas. They are also common teaching sailing at the yacht clubs and sailing schools.

Until you mentioned it, it did not occur to me that these service jobs were dominated by either gender, since both are equally well represented.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 14:07   #59

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
The only time I've had to pull up at a fuel dock since getting my boat, it was a border collie that met me at the dock ... I think she was a lass. She then needed to do some barking to summon someone with opposable thumbs to start the pump.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 15:08   #60

Not sure how we got from water to cigs and dock hand gender, oh well must be Internet
Back to OPs question
We spend a lot of time on anchor, many times for extended periods in one place. When comfortably anchored we do not like to pull the hook and go into a dock, plus many places there are no dockside services.
Therefore we resupply everything by dingy. If shore side water is available we have a 20 gal bladder that fits in the dingy, fill it up and have a 12v transfer pump to get it into boat tanks. This helps if at a small marina as it doesn't tie up fuel dock (providing you have permission to take on water)
If no shore side water we then resort to J Cans, have three aboard, each trip gives us 18 US gals.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, mooring, tanks, water