Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 15:24   #1

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
Need Help on Finding a Cooking Product

I remember seeing an ad for a two burner electric stove that had sort of a rubber or neoprene sheet that you put over it and it would stop pots from moving as well as catching any spillage. Also, the sheet would stay cool to the touch even though the stove was on, with heat only going to the pot.

Can't remember the name of the technology or the product... must be oldtimers.

I thought I had seen that on this forum but now I cannot find it.

Has anyone seen this item? would you have a link to the site?
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 16:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Wouldna' bin rubber nor neoprene. Maybe silicone?
Sounds "gimicky" to me; but it'll be interesting to see someone point us to such a useful product (making me look the fool).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 16:36   #3

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Sounds "gimicky" to me; but it'll be interesting to see someone point us to such a useful product (making me look the fool).
I could see an induction stovetop maybe letting you use such a product ? The material wouldn't insulate and wouldn't have to move the pot too far from the induction field.

It will be interesting to see the answer.

-Sven
Old 11-08-2010, 18:07   #4

The electric surface was flat and you could get these different size flex mats to fit on top of it. It may very well have been induction.

They were pricey from what I remember but I think they would be ideal on a boat. Wish I had saved the site...
Old 11-08-2010, 18:30   #5

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
I don't know how to post a link-but google "Kenyon silKEN induction" and see if it is what you are looking for. It is a flat induction cooktop with optional ridged silicone covers on top only the cooking pan gets hot.
Old 11-08-2010, 18:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle View Post
I don't know how to post a link-but google "Kenyon silKEN induction" and see if it is what you are looking for. It is a flat induction cooktop with optional ridged silicone covers on top only the cooking pan gets hot.
That's the one ! thanks so much. Here is the youtube commercial. It was on Mad Mariner that I had seen it, but thanks for finding it.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:00   #7

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
After some discussion on here I installed a two head induction stove top (two burner doesn't sound right ) It rapidly became the stove of choice. We still have the original stove top but it seldom gets used now. With lower power usage and the inherent safety of a cold surface it was a winner from the moment we installed it. There is one major downside, it has an intense magnetic field, don't install it anywhere near Nav instruments.
About the silicon mats. They look great but also very pricey. We use a simple silicon baking sheet available for a few dollars at most cookware stores.
I came across these Boating - treefrogpad.com a few days ago and they'd probably do an even better job.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
. There is one major downside, it has an intense magnetic field, don't install it anywhere near Nav instruments.
About the silicon mats. They look great but also very pricey. We use a simple silicon baking sheet available for a few dollars at most cookware stores.
I came across these Boating - treefrogpad.com a few days ago and they'd probably do an even better job.P.
Thanks for the heads up on the mag field, had not thought of that.

Also noticed on their site that they are all 240V from what I could see which could be a wiring issue. I wanted to put that upstairs on the entertainment deck. I'll see what my electrician says.

Tags
cooking