Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 23-11-2017, 05:57   #1411

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
You should consider Microgreens and grow yourself on the boat.

Needs no electric. Just light and water.

Just take a few packet. of seeds. 50/50 Coir and soil, a few containers. Water well... in a dark place till germinated then put in sunlight.

Lettuce, all the herbs, onions, Kale, Broccolli, Pak Choy, Chives, Beetroot..

You eat the leaves from the first grow... tastes EXACTLY like the plant.

Dont mind my grow lights. Dont need them when the sun shines.. just put in cockpit near the windows... Harvest in 5-20 days.
I do sprout alfalfa seeds and mung beans occasionally and in summer I had a pot of hardy, salt resistant, small leaved Greek basil on board, but otherwise I have found plants and sailing just don't go together too well at all. Water leaks and causes damage. Soil spills. Unless well secured, plants tip over when heeled. Few can handle the salty, windy environment if put outdoors.

I have seen other cruisers growing even tomato plants, so opinion on this clearly varies, but although I was a super keen gardener on shore and although I love fresh greens, personally I just don't want all that trouble when sailing.

Now if chocolate could be grown, I might be persuaded .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 06:07   #1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
...Now if chocolate could be grown, I might be persuaded .

SWL
Loosely speaking, chocolate does grow on bushes.

As you can see, some varieties produce delectable "seeds".
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 09:00   #1413

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber View Post
Loosely speaking, chocolate does grow on bushes.

As you can see, some varieties produce delectable "seeds".
That last variety would be worth growing on board .

Old 23-11-2017, 17:32   #1414

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

I'm looking for good recipes in this category using cinnamon and similar spices. Preferably not a pastry :-) Any ideas?

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 23:05   #1415

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
I'm looking for good recipes in this category using cinnamon and similar spices. Preferably not a pastry :-) Any ideas?
Cinnamon and vanilla are two of my favourite cooking aromas .

Skipping cakes along with pastries, here are a few other suggestions for using cinnamon:

Cinnamon and apple are a marriage made in heaven and luckily apples keep well on board. If you want something reasonably healthy, try Apple (or carrot) Oatmeal Bake for breakfast. Apart from being scrumptious straight out of the oven, this hardens when cold and can be sliced into squares to make a great sailing snack. I know carrot sounds strange, but think "carrot cake".

French toast wouldn't be the same without cinnamon and this is a great use for stale bread. I actually often deliberately leave some home made bread aside to go stale as this is such a lovely breakfast treat. Freshly baked bread tends to be demolished quickly otherwise .

Then there's oatmeal in winter (made effortlessly in a wide mouthed thermos and always with cinnamon added) and Bircher muesli in summer (oats soaked cold with grated apple anything from 10 minutes to overnight).

For dessert, try baked apples: core, stuff with a mixture of dried fruit, nuts, cinnamon and honey to taste, then bake until as soft as desired.

For winter "comfort food" the classic apple crumble topping (butter, sugar and white flour) can be made healthier by using oats and nuts. I go easy on the cinnamon here, but always toss a little in.

On the savoury side, cinnamon in rice is good. The Bejeweled rice recipe a few posts back used a teaspoon. Also, Moroccan spice mix contains cinnamon and combined with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar this makes a superb marinade/dressing for chickpeas (or whatever else). I always have some of this mixed up.

In the "similar" category, is nutmeg. I keep this whole (along with lots of other spices) as shelf life and quality is dramatically better. It takes seconds to grate.

The most common thing I now use nutmeg for is white sauce (after it was recommended here by Nigel1 a few years ago). I make this with long life skim milk and high grade extra virgin olive oil and although that sounds absolutely awful it makes the creamiest, most delicious mix. Again, an excellent boat recipe, as ingredients keep for months unrefrigerated. I use white sauce in lasagne (the traditional meat substitutes reasonably with lentils or beans, as the rich herby tomato mix tends to dominate) and in Cauliflower Cheese bake, which is good without cheese too if you run out or are avoiding it, and also good with almost any cooked vegetable mix: potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts, pumpkin, cabbage ..... Also delicious with lots of cheese added and baked with pasta. Freshly grated nutmeg just lifts this sauce to another level.

Yum

SWL

PS Most of these recipes can be found in the index in the first post. I update it every now and again.

Old 15-01-2018, 10:33   #1416

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Waterworld salad:.
All the lettuce, tomatoes and green onions were grown on my boat. Start out with a layer of dark leafy greensClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180115_125214.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	162317

Then add delicate leaves like salad bowl, accent with a few ExoticsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180115_125521.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	162318
Then a layer of green onion, pecan pieces, tomatoes, cubed cheese, small pieces of steak that were cooked in a solar oven, drizzle with olive oil and Braggs amino acids,add croutons that were made out of solar dehydrated sprouted bread. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and nutritional yeast if desired. Or better yet mix it in with the olive oil first. Balsamic vinegar optional.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 10:35   #1417

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180115_130825.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	162319
Old 17-01-2018, 11:43   #1418

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Have I mentioned roasting bananas in their skins, with coconut cream, cinnamon, and vanilla extract?

I feel like I have...?

Cut a flap of the banana skin, lift the flap, and cut or poke some holes in the flesh of the banana. Dust the flesh with cinnamon, drizzle some vanilla extract, spoon on some coconut cream. Lower the flap. Repeat for as many bananas as you wish to prepare. Roast. Oven or grill or fire :-).

Remove from heat when it smells really good and the flesh inside is gooey and soft.

(Also works with halved pears)
(Some people put in marshmallows and nuts and choc chips, but I like the OG version above)

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 14:01   #1419

[ATTACH]164389[/ATTACH
100 Year dressing. Start off blending cashews and pumpkin seeds that have been soaked at least 4 hours and rinsed, with enough water and Braggs amino acids to blend and then add about a half a cup of nutritional yeast and half a cup of Parmesan cheese. The reason it's called 100 year dressing is because every day you can add something different to it and continue blending it for a hundred years edit definitely needs garlic and salt start out with. 😊 PS beam of sunlight optional.PSS yep my on board garden is cranking out vegetables
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180216_130637.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	164389  
Old 18-06-2018, 11:05   #1420

Everyone's heard of shepherd's pie what about Sailors pie? Start out with a layer of pre-cooked rice I prefer parboiled, any grain will do just pre-soak the grains for 4 hours and rinse before cooking. I really wish I sun-dried some of my tomatoes because a layer of that would be awesome. Then a layer of cheese then a layer of sweet potatoes that were previously cooked I like to cut them up so they're little triangles that cook quicker and spread easily as a layer. Then a layer of cheese. Then a layer of any ground meat or possibly veggie burger although what makes this meal so good is all the juice goes down into the rice. Cover with glass lid put in "solar" oven until meat is just starting to Brown then put in a separate bowl of greens like kale, Swiss chard, sweet potato leaves Etc. When the greens are done the meat will be fully browned. I usually make enough pie for at least two meals and the next day or week later all I have to do is reheat it. I always eat my greens with Braggs amino acids and olive oil sometimes I add nutritional yeast and parmesan cheese. PS I used to make this in my pressure cooker, good but the meat would not be browned. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180618_140339.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	171979
Old 18-06-2018, 11:41   #1421

Forgot to say uncover the pie when you put the greens in.
Old 18-06-2018, 21:16   #1422

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Cover with glass lid put in "solar" oven until meat is just starting to Brown then put in a separate bowl of greens like kale, Swiss chard, sweet potato leaves Etc. When the greens are done the meat will be fully browned. Attachment 171979

Thanks for that, SH! A bit difficult to see through the glass lid. You put "solar" in quotes, so do you use a solar oven there? I didn't think that would ever get hot enough to brown the meat?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 06:40   #1423

The reflectors that came with my solar oven are made out of aluminum and have lost most of their reflection due to corrosion. But when I first got it I had temperatures of 300 degrees on a sunny day. yesterday I had 250 degrees I let it cook for 3 hours. Sometimes after a food is finished I'll just turn it out of the sun and it will keep it warm until dinner time. It's more like a slow cooker but it does brown the meat. I guess it's the lower temperatures but this is the best tasting food I've ever eaten. The All American Sun Oven easily reaches temperatures of 350 but it has huge high quality reflectors. I have too many projects right now but in the future I'm going to buy a vacuum tube solar oven and those reach temperatures of 400 and then I can start baking. I also plan on making reflectors out of real mirror.
Old 20-06-2018, 16:58   #1424

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
The reflectors that came with my solar oven are made out of aluminum and have lost most of their reflection due to corrosion. But when I first got it I had temperatures of 300 degrees on a sunny day.

That's really cool! I also wanted to explore solar ovens for a long time now, one concern was tracking the sun due to the swinging of the boat. But I don't want to hijack this thread, there must be previous discussions on CF around solar cooking and heating.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 17:52   #1425

There's a couple. I posted a lot on "solar cooking?" Some times drifts are the best way to share knowledge. A lot of healthy foods require long cooking. No propane and a cooler boat allows me to eat healthier foods with less nutritional loss.