Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 20-02-2017, 13:27   #1246

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
I rarely preheat for much baking. it is cold and dry here, so proofing is more difficult. Since I have a gas oven, the warm up period provides some much needed warmth and moisture to give a little last minute rising.
Doing flat breads is another good option. I usually lean towards naan style, buttered and barbecued with a little garlic. Very quick, less than a minute, and can be done while already grilling other foods. Preheating is better for flat breads though. My pizza turns out much better using our wood oven, roughly 500 degrees. As an aside, useing beer as the liquid in dough helps add flavour and boosts the yeast for a great rise;-)
I will have to try doing the no knead bread with cheese too, great idea.
Edit, the French toast was fantastic
I'll give the cold oven a go on board .
I use beer when making Jedi's rye bread. It does give the denser rye some added oomph. Beer may also be a good addition to cheese bread for the same reason.

I have added anything from half to one cup of grated or shaved cheese to the no knead recipe. I have only tried cheddar and parmesan, and both have been really good.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 02:41   #1247
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Blackened Chicken

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 03:18   #1248

Did this at home a few days ago but the recipe is great for the boat galley.

Ingredients (makes about 4-6 servings as appetizers or 2-3 servings as a meal):

1lb of squid/calamari cut to rings
salt, pepper to taste (or substitute soy sauce for salt)
spices, also to taste, I used paprika and hot paprika powder, hot cayenne pepper flakes, turmeric powder, dry cilantro and a bit of ginger powder.
1tsp of balzamic vinegar
2tbsp of olive oil

For dipping sauce (app. per serving):
1tbsp mayo
1tsp hot Chinese mustard
A pinch of wasabi paste or 1/2 tsp of wasabi powder or 1/2 tsp wasabi sauce.

While heating up iron frying pan on high heat toss calamari and its ingredients together and combine and whisk dipping sauce ingredients. Throw coated calamari rings into the pan and after a minute or two stir and let it fry for another minute or two. Taste for doneness, must be just enough springy but not rubbery at all. Turn off the heat and if elect. stovetop take off the burner. If gas simply turn the gas off. Use dipping sauce to taste. Goes great with any white wine, beer, sake or even shots of tequila or vodka.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 20:15   #1249

These recipes are wonderful and really helping me. We are helping a friend who just bought his first sailboat. We are living on it and will bring it back from Hawaii to the West Coast and down into Mexico. It has very limited refrigeration and even more limited freezer. So I am provisioning fresh for the first week and then long-lasting veggies then mostly canned and dry in between what frozen I can fit in. These recipes are perfect as many use easily stores ingredients. I enjoyed the thread before but now am excited to make these things.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 23:08   #1250

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
These recipes are wonderful and really helping me. We are helping a friend who just bought his first sailboat. We are living on it and will bring it back from Hawaii to the West Coast and down into Mexico. It has very limited refrigeration and even more limited freezer. So I am provisioning fresh for the first week and then long-lasting veggies then mostly canned and dry in between what frozen I can fit in. These recipes are perfect as many use easily stores ingredients. I enjoyed the thread before but now am excited to make these things.
Hi Sailor G
Thanks for the feedback . That was exactly my aim when starting this thread, so I am pleased to read someone is finding it helpful.

I have all the recipes here stored on Paprika and I temporarily have unlimited internet. If you are using this app and would like to easily add any of the recipes, I am happy to email them to you if you send me a list. It will save you some work.

SWL

This was posted way, way back in 2013 (super scary how time flies!):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I was going to make this the title but it wouldn't fit in the space:

"What to make while cruising when heat coupled by lack of refrigeration don't allow long term storage of animal products, or when you are in parts of the world that these are unavailable, or when you have simply been away from civilisation for long enough to run out of stuff or the closest shop is a 15km walk away and you don't feel like an expedition or can't bring it back in the heat without spoiling, or you are trying to live off $500 a month".

Old 15-05-2017, 01:17   #1251

Quote:
Hi Sailor G
Thanks for the feedback . That was exactly my aim when starting this thread, so I am pleased to read someone is finding it helpful.

I have all the recipes here stored on Paprika and I temporarily have unlimited internet. If you are using this app and would like to easily add any of the recipes, I am happy to email them to you if you send me a list. It will save you some work.

SWL

This was posted way, way back in 2013 (super scary how time flies!):

Wow-I never realized that much time went by! I am using Paprika (and also have slow but unlimited Wifi) because of this thread too! I would love the recipes but not sure exactly how that works. That would be so much easier than trying to put them in one by one!

Thanks![emoji253]
Gloria
Old 15-05-2017, 01:37   #1252

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wow-I never realized that much time went by! I am using Paprika (and also have slow but unlimited Wifi) because of this thread too! I would love the recipes but not sure exactly how that works. That would be so much easier than trying to put them in one by one!

Thanks![emoji253]
Gloria
I also loaded Paprika on someone's recommendation here .

When emailing a recipe from Paprika, the recipe itself is loaded, plus a Paprika emblem containing a link. If you click on the link you are asked for permission to load the recipe in your Paprika. It then puts it in the same folder the sender had it in, so you may want to then move it to whatever personal folder you feel appropriate.

It is also a very easy way to share recipes with anyone not using Paprika, as you can load the recipe to the email with the touch of a button. It has saved me heaps of time when sharing recipes .

SWL

Old 19-05-2017, 07:36   #1253
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
I also loaded Paprika on someone's recommendation here .

When emailing a recipe from Paprika, the recipe itself is loaded, plus a Paprika emblem containing a link. If you click on the link you are asked for permission to load the recipe in your Paprika. It then puts it in the same folder the sender had it in, so you may want to then move it to whatever personal folder you feel appropriate.

It is also a very easy way to share recipes with anyone not using Paprika, as you can load the recipe to the email with the touch of a button. It has saved me heaps of time when sharing recipes .

SWL
It's not quite as simple as that if you have Android, not Apple. It's not difficult but a different process, let me know if you need instructions and I'll write them out.
Old 19-05-2017, 09:46   #1254

Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

I have an Apple phone. Thank you though for the kind offer! Luckily, I've been adding recipes as I went-though I found it out after adding it again. Now, I look first and then add! [emoji854]
Old 19-05-2017, 09:53   #1255
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I have an Apple phone. Thank you though for the kind offer! Luckily, I've been adding recipes as I went-though I found it out after adding it again. Now, I look first and then add! [emoji854]
I think SWL and I have almost identical Paprika recipe books!
Old 19-05-2017, 10:19   #1256

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
I think SWL and I have almost identical Paprika recipe books!
That recipe file has been so super useful. I thank you for all the recipes and inspiration . I struggled so much initially.

I have been very lazy with experimenting lately since we have been "dirt dwellers". Necessity truly is the mother of invention . With a well stocked supermarket just a stone's throw away, meat or fresh fish is on the menu daily and I am not challenged thinking about provisioning or food storage. Unlimited water also feels alien. I am focussing on the good aspects, as I am soooooooo missing being on the water.

SWL

Old 19-05-2017, 10:27   #1257
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
That recipe file has been so super useful. I thank you for all the recipes and inspiration . I struggled so much initially.

I have been very lazy with experimenting lately since we have been "dirt dwellers". Necessity truly is the mother of invention . With a well stocked supermarket just a stone's throw away, meat or fresh fish is on the menu daily and I am not challenged thinking about provisioning or food storage. Unlimited water also feels alien. I am focussing on the good aspects, as I am soooooooo missing being on the water.

SWL
I have just as many recipes that originated with you, I'm sure!

We have minimal refrigeration at the moment as we have fitted a keel cooled fridge so cannot run it on the hard. I've borrowed an electric cool box and access to a car means I can visit Lidl on a regular basis. So we too are eating lots of meat and fish - very different from when we are at anchor.
Old 22-05-2017, 05:35   #1258
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I'm wondering if it's possible to post Paprika recipes here on the forum... may be as an attachment?

tried... no go, it says invalid file. So it's gonna be a link to the recipe in my Dropbox then. Please try this and see if you can import it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iv4knb0rta...ikarecipe?dl=0

This is my latest recipe; after many years I finally managed to make a real Nasi Goreng :-) For those who have missed this, you must start with growing your own Tauge (special technique sprouted Mung beans) which has been featured here before

Below a text copy of the recipe:

Nasi Goreng Jedi
★★★★★
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 15 min | Servings: 4 servings | Difficulty: Medium

Ingredients:

1 cup rice
2 eggs
4 big slices cooked ham
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 tsp sesame oil

3 cloves garlic chopped
1 small onion chopped
1/3 cup carrot chopped
3 cups bean sprouts (taugé)
4 stalks bok choy
6 shiitake mushrooms
5 stalks spring onions chopped

2 tsp sambal oelek (chili paste)
¼ tsp Thai shrimp paste
1 tbsp light Thai/Chinese Soy sauce
1 tsp Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce) or dark Thai Soy sauce
1 tsp Thai fish sauce

1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Directions:

- The day before serving the meal, wash & rinse one cup of rice until the water is mostly clear. Drain very well before continuing.
If your rice says to use 2 cups of water with 1 cup of rice then use 1-3/4 cup of water instead so the rice doesn't get too soft. Bring to a slow boil and cook until all water is absorbed. Check that there are no hard pieces in the grains. Then take off the heat, cover with lid and let stand 10 minutes. Take lid off and transfer to a food storage container and let cool without the lid. Then close and store in refrigerator.

- Next day, prepare the shiitake mushrooms. If dried, put them in a glass Pyrex measuring cup, add boiling water and put a sieve on top to keep the mushrooms submerged. After 30 minutes, take the mushrooms out, squeeze excess moisture out, cut all of the stems out (dispose the stems), then slice them and put in a bowl.
If the mushrooms are fresh then just remove and dispose the stems, slice the mushrooms and put in a bowl.

- Chop the garlic, onion and carrot and put in a separate bowl.

- Buy or grow your own bean sprouts, wash them and use a lettuce centrifuge to dry them. Wash and chop the bok choy and keep them with the bean sprouts.

- Mix both soy sauces, fish sauce, sambal and shrimp paste in a small glass bowl (it stains if spilled)

- Mix the salt, turmeric and pepper in another small bowl.

- Crack the eggs in yet another bowl. Don't whisk them.

- Cut the ham slices in 1/2" squares.

Now we're ready to cook. Put a wok on high heat and add 1 tbsp of oil and ½ tsp of sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic, onions and carrot. Stir fry for 2 minutes, then add the bean sprouts and bok choy. Stir fry for 3 minutes, then add the mushrooms. Stir fry for another couple minutes, then turn the heat low and transfer to a bowl.

With the wok back on the stove, turn the heat high again and add the other tbsp of oil and ½ tsp of sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add the ham and stir fry for 2 minutes. Move the ham to one side of the wok so that the oil drains back to the bottom. You need a good amount of oil, add some if needed, then add the eggs to the hot oil. Chop the yolks so they break and stir and scrape a bit. Get the cold rice and put over the still wet eggs and ham. Push the rice down, which makes it break up. Stir fry, making sure all the rice breaks up and everything mixes well. Keep stir frying for 5 minutes or until the rice turns a light golden color. Add the soy sauces and sambal as well as the salt, turmeric and pepper and stir fry so that everything mixes and all the rice grains get coated. Keep stir frying for another 3 minutes, then add the fried vegetables and mix well while stir frying. Put the copped spring onions in at the last moment.

Source:

Sent from Paprika Recipe Manager. Paprika Recipe Manager for iPad, iPhone, Mac, Android, and Windows.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 06:05   #1259

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I'm wondering if it's possible to post Paprika recipes here on the forum... may be as an attachment?

tried... no go, it says invalid file. So it's gonna be a link to the recipe in my Dropbox then. Please try this and see if you can import it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iv4knb0rta...ikarecipe?dl=0
I had no luck on an iPad after registering with Dropbox. "Unsupported file format" is the brick wall I hit. It will not open the file in Paprika.

Thanks for trying though .

SWL

Old 22-05-2017, 20:42   #1260
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Hmmm the iPad version does not have an import function it seems... my Mac version does..

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote