Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 04:17   #856

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Gazpacho this morning.

The Spanish are particular but not fussy over Gazpacho. I have had the soup that tastes like a vegetable drink and I have had it like a beautiful slightly spicy thickish gourmet treat.

This is what I made this morning.

20 vine tomatoes. (I prefer tomatillo for a more heavier rich taste)
1/2 a red bell pepper.
1/2 cucumber.
whole Lime squeezed juice
1 teaspoon of vinegar
handful of parsley
handful of Cilantro/Coriander
2 thai chilis
tablespoon of mayonaise
2 onions
8 cloves of garlic

I put them in the blender and added olive oil and 2 teaspoonfuls of salt and black pepper to taste. A lot of people add stale bread, Im ambivalent about that..... add whatever vegetables you like to it.
Some recipes call for removing the skin of the tomatoes, removing the inside of the cucumbers etc. As I strain it, I prefer to leave everything in the blender and get the goodness out of it.......

Mixture was blended to a pouring cream consistency and then strained. Too thick? add water.

In the fridge now chilling. I like it served cold in a glass and drunk rather than in a bowl.

The taste is full on vegetables with a mild heat kick.
Weav, that sounds scrumptious!
I have never made Gazpacho, but will have to give it a go.
My only reservation is about using 8 cloves of raw garlic. I happily saute 6-8 in dishes, or roast a whole head of cloves whole, then squeeze out the paste like contents. It mellows tremendously doing this. Raw though, I find just one packs a powerful punch and I sometimes only use a half in dips.

Do you wear a mask to stop you breathing all over patients the next day?

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:22   #857
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Weav, that sounds scrumptious!
I have never made Gazpacho, but will have to give it a go.
My only reservation is about using 8 cloves of raw garlic. I happily saute 6-8 in dishes, or roast a whole head of cloves whole, then squeeze out the paste like contents. It mellows tremendously doing this. Raw though, I find just one packs a powerful punch and I sometimes only use a half in dips.

Do you wear a mask to stop you breathing all over patients the next day?

SWL
English bought garlic somehow is weak.

Obviously adjust the garlic quantity to your preference. the raw taste is prefered to sauted in gazpacho or it alters the taste too much.

In Spain, I have never noticed the after garlic kicker....... and they use a lot...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:37   #858
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The end result
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0428.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	104697   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0429.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	104698  

Old 05-07-2015, 05:00   #859

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The end result
It looks like a tomato smoothie .

That actually appeals a lot in summer. I totally go off hot soup at this time of year.

SWL

Old 06-07-2015, 21:27   #860

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

I love gazpacho-and even more the Mexican version that I stumbled on one day I was lazy. Here is the original recipe:

Mexican Gazpacho

2 stalks celery, diced
1 red bell peppers, diced
1 yellow bell peppers, diced
1 English cucumbers, chopped
2 small avocados -diced
Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
4 green onions and/or 1/4 red onion, diced
Half (46 fluid ounce) bottle tomato-vegetable juice cocktail (such as V8®)
To taste- Mexican hot sauce
1-2 Tbsp red wine vinegar or lemon juice
1-3 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions
Combine all except avocado in nonreactive bowl. Refrigerate to combine flavors.

Lazy Directions
When I am being lazy (and when I can find it), I use prepared Pico de Gallo that I can find at the store (they make fresh daily) in place of most of the ingredients-tomato, onion, chilis, juice. All I have to add is celery, bell peppers, garlic and sprinkle cilantro on top. I will also add some fresh tomatoes if I can find any that are vine ripened to add fresh flavor. This takes the waiting out also-another perk

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1436243207.704891.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	104818
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 21:35   #861

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMarine View Post
Hi SWL,

Not sure if my pita recipe made it through the ether to you, but below is a hit aubergine curry recipe and I think that its all vegan (??)

I've served it on a bed on spinach that wilts beautifully. I had only a can of coconut milk, water & salt to add to the recipe not the BIONA bar, veg stock I also added 2 small red thai chillis as what is a curry without a kick?? I did have the coconut oil, as this is fast becoming my summer ingredient. Perhaps the tropics are calling... roll on the end of the refit!

This recipe is from Vogue (yes really) and the lovely Hemsley and Hemsley sisters.

Ingredients (use organic ingredients where possible)
Serves 4 people
1 cup (approx 200g) of red split lentils, rinsed
3 large onions, roughly chopped or sliced
2.5 inches of ginger (you could finely chop it or grate it)
6 large cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
Optional: small pinch of ground chilli or a little fresh chilli
1 large aubergine, chopped into bite-size pieces
2 large courgettes, diced
4 large tomatoes, quartered
1 x 200g bar of BIONA creamed coconut (at room temp this bar is ⅓ oil and ⅔ coconut solids. Use the oil for frying. Carefully chop or break up the coconut solids into a few parts so that they dissolve more easily).
1.8 - 2 litres of hot home-made vegetable/meat stock or hot water (depends how thick or saucy you want your curry)
The juice and zest of 1 lime or 1 lemon (just zest the first layer, not the white pith, as this is bitter)
2-3 teaspoons of Tamari (gluten-free soy) or 2 large pinches of sea salt
1.5 teaspoons of maple syrup
1 handful of peanuts or cashews
1 handful of roughly chopped herbs such as fresh coriander, mint or basil
Raw veg like watercress, baby spinach or shredded cabbage, to serve
If you can't find a creamed coconut bar, use coconut oil/ghee or butter for frying and add 1 can of quality coconut milk (Biona). Reduce the amount of stock or water from the recipe.
Instructions
· In a large wide pot, dry fry your peanuts or cashews for a few minutes to toast them, then set aside.
· In the same pot, fry your onions, ginger, garlic and chilli in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil on a medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft (don't let the onions and garlic colour).
· Add your lentils, the roughly chopped coconut solids and then most of your hot stock or water stock and stir well. This should be enough liquid for the coconut solids to dissolve but keep an eye on the liquid levels so that the lentils don't stick and burn at the bottom.
· After 6 minutes of cooking on a medium to high heat, add your aubergines and stir.
· After a further 10 minutes, add your tomatoes, courgettes, lime or lemon zest, the Tamari or the salt if you're not using Tamari. Add more hot stock or water if you think your curry needs it.
· After 6 more minutes turn off the heat and add your lemon or lime juice, maple syrup and fresh herbs.
· Then stir and taste. You might need a little more Tamari/salt or lime/lemon juice to add sourness.
· Top with the toasted nuts (roughly chop them if you like) and serve with fresh green leaves.
If you're having guests round, we like to serve our curry with some little bowls of the extras (nuts, herbs, lemon or lime wedges and a little bowl of Tamari or sea salt) so everyone can help themselves
MooseMarine, your Aubergine Curry is just lovely. Thanks for sharing the recipe

Like you, I used tinned coconut milk instead of the Biota bar and I added two deseeded chillis. As it is summer here and I wanted a fresher taste, I didn't add the lemon rind & juice or the ginger until the end (I find the fresh flavour is retained better this way). The chillies I used must have been a bit wimpy, as I could not taste them at all, so I added a couple of teaspoons of harissa and a bit of extra salt when testing for seasoning at the end.

I sealed some while piping hot in a glass jar and this was even better the next night.

SWL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	104819  

Old 06-07-2015, 21:56   #862

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I love gazpacho-and even more the Mexican version that I stumbled on one day I was lazy. Here is the original recipe:

Mexican Gazpacho

2 stalks celery, diced
1 red bell peppers, diced
1 yellow bell peppers, diced
1 English cucumbers, chopped
2 small avocados -diced
Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
4 green onions and/or 1/4 red onion, diced
Half (46 fluid ounce) bottle tomato-vegetable juice cocktail (such as V8®)
To taste- Mexican hot sauce
1-2 Tbsp red wine vinegar or lemon juice
1-3 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions
Combine all except avocado in nonreactive bowl. Refrigerate to combine flavors.

Lazy Directions
When I am being lazy (and when I can find it), I use prepared Pico de Gallo that I can find at the store (they make fresh daily) in place of most of the ingredients-tomato, onion, chilis, juice. All I have to add is celery, bell peppers, garlic and sprinkle cilantro on top. I will also add some fresh tomatoes if I can find any that are vine ripened to add fresh flavor. This takes the waiting out also-another perk
I am amazed that to date I have somehow managed never to taste Gazpacho!
Yesterday I bought 2kg of luscious tomatoes, as well as some red pepper and cucumber and I will give Weavis's recipe a go today.

Your mushroom stroganoff is planned for tomorrow .

I love all the ideas coming from this thread. Many thanks everyone. I hope lots of people are benefiting, cruising or not.

SWL

Old 07-07-2015, 06:35   #863

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gazpacho

Quote:
Gazpacho this morning.

The Spanish are particular but not fussy over Gazpacho. I have had the soup that tastes like a vegetable drink and I have had it like a beautiful slightly spicy thickish gourmet treat.

This is what I made this morning.

20 vine tomatoes. (I prefer tomatillo for a more heavier rich taste)
1/2 a red bell pepper.
1/2 cucumber.
whole Lime squeezed juice
1 teaspoon of vinegar
handful of parsley
handful of Cilantro/Coriander
2 thai chilis
tablespoon of mayonaise
2 onions
8 cloves of garlic

I put them in the blender and added olive oil and 2 teaspoonfuls of salt and black pepper to taste. A lot of people add stale bread, Im ambivalent about that..... add whatever vegetables you like to it.
Some recipes call for removing the skin of the tomatoes, removing the inside of the cucumbers etc. As I strain it, I prefer to leave everything in the blender and get the goodness out of it.......

Mixture was blended to a pouring cream consistency and then strained. Too thick? add water.

In the fridge now chilling. I like it served cold in a glass and drunk rather than in a bowl.

The taste is full on vegetables with a mild heat kick.
I was right, "tomato smoothie" this is, but a very sophisticated grown up one . As I love smoothies and juiced raw vegetables, this recipe is a winner with me. Fresh from a swim I am enjoying this as an early sundowner today.

My Gazpacho was based on your recipe, but using probably about half your quantity (no idea how big your tomatoes were). I tweaked the ingredients a little to suit my tastes.

For me it has a perfect combination of freshness with just a slight bite of chilli and hint of garlic. I substituted basil for the coriander as I have some growing on board and because this combination is a marriage made in heaven . I will use the other kilo of tomatoes for a batch with some stale bread soaked in water mixed in next time and compare.

This is a snippet of info I found when reading up on this inland Andalusian soup:

"Gazpacho was unknown, or little known, in the north of Spain before about 1930. And it is not always liquid, nor does it always contain tomatoes. According to Juan de la Mata in his Arte de reposteria published in 1747, the most common gazpacho was known as capon de galera consisting of a pound of bread crust soaked in water and put in a sauce of anchovy bones, garlic, and vinegar, sugar, salt and olive oil and letting it soften."

The very earliest versions seem to have contained merely bread and water, making them a "poor man's soup".

GAZPACHO (Weavis's recipe halved and tweaked):

1 kg vine ripened tomatoes (quality here is critical)
1 red pepper, core removed
1 red chilli, deseeded
½ long cucumber, peeled (peeled, as I wanted the mix to be as red as possible)
1 small red onion, peeled
½ handful of parsley
½ handful basil
1 clove garlic, crushed
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon/lime extract (rind soaked in gin and filtered)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon Himalayan rock salt, ground
½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
1 teaspoon sugar (Italians, the experts when it comes to all things tomato related, swear this brings out the flavour of tomatoes)

- Roughly chop the vegetables
- Combine all ingredients and puree with a stick mixer or food processor
- Cover and refrigerate several hours
- Strain (pushing down to extract as much as possible) and serve in a glass garnished with a sprig of basil
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	253
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	104832  

Old 07-07-2015, 07:21   #864
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 09-07-2015, 05:50   #865

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Gazpacho

Quote:
Gazpacho this morning.

....... A lot of people add stale bread, Im ambivalent about that..... add whatever vegetables you like to it.
Quote:
...... I will use the other kilo of tomatoes for a batch with some stale bread soaked in water mixed in next time and compare.
I made up the second batch today using about 100g of stale breadcrumbs (crusts were removed). Extra water was needed. The texture and consistency are good (it is more soup like), but I wouldn't say this is a better mix. I think will make it without bread in future.

The ingredients were otherwise the same this time, except that I added an extra red pepper as they are sweet and delicious at the moment. This intensified the orange-red hue even further. I have photographed this outside to try and capture the rich colour better:
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	166
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	104968  

Old 09-07-2015, 06:10   #866
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I made up the second batch today using about 100g of stale breadcrumbs (crusts were removed). Extra water was needed. The texture and consistency are good (it is more soup like), but I wouldn't say this is a better mix. I think will make it without bread in future.

The ingredients were otherwise the same this time, except that I added an extra red pepper as they are sweet and delicious at the moment. This intensified the orange-red hue even further. I have photographed this outside to try and capture the rich colour better:
I was thinking.
You could also add a 1/4 Watermelon to the blend. It makes it sweeter and lifts it a whole notch.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:40   #867

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I was thinking.
You could also add a 1/4 Watermelon to the blend. It makes it sweeter and lifts it a whole notch.

Ham and Eggs (a chef) posted this recipe here about a year and a half ago. I meant to try it, but it somehow slid from my mind, probably nudged by the fact that I have generally not been a fan of cold soups. Drinks are another matter . Served in a glass this recipe deserves a little attention.

These are the proportions he suggested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham and Eggs View Post
I don’t have exact amounts for many of this summer soup’s ingredients, because that’s how I operate, but if you taste it toward the end you can make easy adjustments to correct the heat, sweetness, acidity or viscosity by adding, for example, more jalapeno, watermelon, vinegar or…more watermelon.

Pour the last of the pina colada out of the blender and drink it, because it is hot outside.
Rinse it out.
Toss the following into it:
  • 2 tomatoes, cored and peeled
  • A small jalapeno, de-seeded and de-membraned (depending on your heat tolerance)
  • A nice fat chunk of seedless watermelon, cut into manageable sized cubes…1 ½-2 cups
  • 1/2 cucumber, peeled, de-seeded and cut into chunks
  • 1 T sherry vinegar (almost any kind will do, but sherry is my favorite)
  • A small shallot (or ¼ white onion), peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
  • Salt and pepper (sea salt is best, followed by Kosher, followed by iodized table salt)
Put the lid on the blender, puree on slow speed, remove the lid and emulsify in while running:
  • 1/3 C extra virgin olive oil
Pour into bowls and garnish with any or all of the following:
  • Watermelon, small dice
  • The remaining cucumber, small dice
  • Croutons
  • Chopped parsley
  • Goat cheese
  • A quick drizzle of the olive oil

Very refreshing.
Hope you like it.
I am giving this a go as soon as I can lug some watermelon back on board . I have so enjoyed the gazpacho.

I will also scout out some more cold soup recipes that use raw ingredients. Carsten posted a recipe for cold cucumber soup back in post #4 that I must try out now (I am thinking mint and ginger would go really well in this). Anyone else have any favourites?

SWL

Old 09-07-2015, 17:40   #868

Boat: Still building

I had one years ago at a top-notch veggo restaurant called Lauries Diner in Sydney's Darlinghurst (opp St Vincents hozzo for those who have long memories) and it was a combination of beetroot and watermelon, but with something creamy added so it was a pale pink, icy cold and **YUMMO**.
Might have been yoghurt or creme fraiche, rather than cream, as it wasnt 'fatty' at all, but had the consistency of pure pouring cream.

Of course, I don't have the recipe, but if people want to ask Mr Google, and report back....I can promise you a treat at the very least.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 23:14   #869

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
I had one years ago at a top-notch veggo restaurant called Lauries Diner in Sydney's Darlinghurst (opp St Vincents hozzo for those who have long memories) and it was a combination of beetroot and watermelon, but with something creamy added so it was a pale pink, icy cold and **YUMMO**.
Might have been yoghurt or creme fraiche, rather than cream, as it wasnt 'fatty' at all, but had the consistency of pure pouring cream.

Of course, I don't have the recipe, but if people want to ask Mr Google, and report back....I can promise you a treat at the very least.
I went hunting .
I found "Laurie's Vegetarian Diner" was once located at 146 Burton Street Darlinghurst (opposite the hospital), but a Thai restaurant is now in its place. There is a "Laurie's Vegetarian" now in Bondi Beach. Wonder if it is run by the same bloke?

Anway, no success. I could find no mention of any kind of juice or smoothie made there.

Beetroot and watermelon combo sounds good though. I made a mix of beetroot, apple, carrots, celery and ginger (plus seasonal fruit) each morning for years and it became quite addictive.

I don't have the inverter capacity or power to juice at the moment, but pureeing the gazpacho and then straining out the solids worked extremely well, although it was a bit time consuming to get all the richer remnants out and be left with only a couple of tablespoons of solids to discard.

I'll have a play with beetroot on board at some stage, but guess with a harder vegetable like this it may not work as well.

SWL

Old 09-07-2015, 23:28   #870
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I went hunting .
I found "Laurie's Vegetarian Diner" was once located at 146 Burton Street Darlinghurst (opposite the hospital), but a Thai restaurant is now in its place. There is a "Laurie's Vegetarian" now in Bondi Beach. Wonder if it is run by the same bloke?

Anway, no success. I could find no mention of any kind of juice or smoothie made there.

Beetroot and watermelon combo sounds good though. I made a mix of beetroot, apple, carrots, celery and ginger (plus seasonal fruit) each morning for years and it became quite addictive.

I don't have the inverter capacity or power to juice at the moment, but pureeing the gazpacho and then straining out the solids worked extremely well, although it was a bit time consuming to get all the richer remnants out and be left with only a couple of tablespoons of solids to discard.

I'll have a play with beetroot on board at some stage, but guess with a harder vegetable like this it may not work as well.

SWL
If you want to eliminate a lot of straining.
Scald the tomatoes and remove skin. scoop out all the pips and just use the tomato flesh.
Remove skin and pips of cucumbers.

When you blend all the ingredients, it is smoother and strains easier.