Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 24-05-2015, 17:51   #781
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

It's time for more consideration for life !

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 21:45   #782

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You could always become a Jain .

Jedi, did you see one of your recipes snuck into this thread?

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 08:17   #783

Quote:

Great! Just what i need to sautee this morning with mushrooms eggs served with pancakes and real maple syrup....yummy
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 20:03   #784

That is too funny Jedi! I tapped on the photo and it got larger-looking like it was coming to get me. It will be a while before I eat a bell pepper.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 11:48   #785

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
You could always become a Jain .

Jedi, did you see one of your recipes snuck into this thread?

SWL
I saw the bread and bean sprouts, is there more?

I am working on a hydroponic system for aboard but my list is long so I'm not sure when I'll come up with that. My problem is the temperature of the water which can go too high in tropical climate. I need to make a top feed system so that evaporation cools it down but I want no external power source... it will have small solar panels I think
Old 26-05-2015, 16:54   #786

Quote:

I am working on a hydroponic system for aboard but my list is long so I'm not sure when I'll come up with that. My problem is the temperature of the water which can go too high in tropical climate. I need to make a top feed system so that evaporation cools it down but I want no external power source... it will have small solar panels I think

Cooling may be an issue because of the high humidity even when feeding is from above......Very interesting fun project One of my colleges, a professor at the university of California Davis campus used a system of thermostatically controlled vents and fans to maintain the proper humidity and temp run by solar. Humidity was the major factor, not so much the temperature, if my memory serves me. ...I think Bob ended up with a mister based system.
Old 26-05-2015, 21:37   #787

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Your recipe for rye bread is in post #14 .

Do you have any more wonderful bread recipes?

SWL

Old 28-05-2015, 09:43   #788

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Your recipe for rye bread is in post #14 .

Do you have any more wonderful bread recipes?

SWL
I do and we recently adapted a couple for the use of sourdough as well. We're a bit busy the coming weeks but I'll be back with them and some pictures of the result

I'm also working out a way to keep our sourdough culture while traveling Internationally by air or sea... will make it look like some creme or toothpaste probably
Old 28-05-2015, 21:02   #789

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I do and we recently adapted a couple for the use of sourdough as well. We're a bit busy the coming weeks but I'll be back with them and some pictures of the result

I'm also working out a way to keep our sourdough culture while traveling Internationally by air or sea... will make it look like some creme or toothpaste probably
I look forward to testing them out . The smell of freshly baked bread on board is such a pleasure. Brilliant for cruising, as all ingredients keep a year or so unrefrigerated, so a loaf can be made anytime, anywhere.

I have made the oatmeal bread in post #454 a few times now. Very different to sourdough, but it makes a lovely loaf.

SWL

Old 30-05-2015, 09:11   #790

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
The salad looks wonderful. Will be excited to hear how to make that dressing. Can't wait to try it.
Tahini dressing gets a five star rating when it comes to boat food. I think it ticks all the boxes .

It is a rich, creamy, tangy dressing that is fantastic on just about anything: salads, grains and pulses (and unmentionables).... Best of all, the ingredients keep for ages unrefrigerated from basic 'staples'. My last grocery visit had been two weeks prior to making this.

The lemon one was such a success, that I thought I would give orange a go. Not quite as good in my opinion, but still scrumptious. It needed a bit more oomph than provided by orange alone, so I added a little vinegar and as it was a sweeter dressing I enhanced this with a little honey. I think lime would work extremely well substituting directly for lemon in the original recipe I posted.

ORANGE TAHINI DRESSING

¼ cup tahini
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
¼ - ½ cup orange juice
rind 1-2 oranges
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (or apple cider)
1 heaped teaspoon honey or pure maple syrup
1 tsp salt, freshly ground
½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground

- Combine all ingredients in a glass jar
- Use a spoon to mash in the tahini until the dressing is smooth
- Add enough juice to be just able to shake the contents
- Make a few hours beforehand to let the flavours blend

I used this a few days ago on a salad of beetroot, orange segments (blood oranges included), hazelnuts and parsley. Looked good and it was nice for a change, but not what I would call a favourite combo (not in the same category as beetroot topped with walnut pesto or just walnuts and feta).

Leftover dressing was brilliant mixed with grains the next day though. Yum .

The recipe for the orange tahini dressing has been included in the index in post #1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	102933  

Old 30-05-2015, 10:24   #791

Quote:
I look forward to testing them out . The smell of freshly baked bread on board is such a pleasure. Brilliant for cruising, as all ingredients keep a year or so unrefrigerated, so a loaf can be made anytime, anywhere.

I have made the oatmeal bread in post #454 a few times now. Very different to sourdough, but it makes a lovely loaf.

SWL

I agree! I love the smell and of course, nothing tastes better than warm, homemade bread. But sometimes I don't want to take the time. I've been making flatbreads that are easy and quick. They can be cut to be used for dips or as a toasty bottom for spreads.

Jamaican Roti

*optional for added zip

3 1/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
* 1-2 tsp chilli flakes (depending on
how hot you like your chilli!)
* 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add oil and enough water until a dough forms, not too dry.

Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes, cut dough into 8 equal pieces, and form balls.

Allow dough to rest for 2 minutes. Roll dough out on floured board until it measures 6 to 8-inch disks.

Heat a griddle over medium heat, when hot brush the griddle with oil. Brush the roti disks with oil on both sides, place on cast-iron hot pan or griddle, and cook until top starts to blister. Flip roti and cook for 1 minute more. Serve warm.

Name:   ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1433006627.705548.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  35.1 KB
Old 30-05-2015, 22:05   #792

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I agree! I love the smell and of course, nothing tastes better than warm, homemade bread. But sometimes I don't want to take the time. I've been making flatbreads that are easy and quick. They can be cut to be used for dips or as a toasty bottom for spreads.

Jamaican Roti

*optional for added zip

3 1/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
* 1-2 tsp chilli flakes (depending on
how hot you like your chilli!)u
* 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add oil and enough water until a dough forms, not too dry.

Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes, cut dough into 8 equal pieces, and form balls.

Allow dough to rest for 2 minutes. Roll dough out on floured board until it measures 6 to 8-inch disks.

Heat a griddle over medium heat, when hot brush the griddle with oil. Brush the roti disks with oil on both sides, place on cast-iron hot pan or griddle, and cook until top starts to blister. Flip roti and cook for 1 minute more. Serve warm.

Attachment 102941
Oh yum! I haven't had breakfast here yet and my mouth is now watering .

Flat breads are fabulous! In their most basic form just flour and water is needed - you can't get much simpler than that . Flour can be wheat (refined or whole) or corn etc. Adding a leavening agent (baking powder, yeast or even just yoghurt) takes you from thin to thick. Salt is usually used and often shortening or oil added. They can be griddle or pan fried, deep fried or baked.

I love them all, particularly within minutes of cooking . There's lots of Indian food in Australia so I am familiar with chapatti (variations: puri & paratha), roti & naan. Middle Eastern pita is fantastic too. I have yet to taste genuine Mexican tortillas, but have that treat to look forward to when we eventually cross the pond.

Mine are a kind of a mish mash . Great boat food (perfect with vegemite).

SWL

PS I knead mine for 5-10 minutes before resting.

Old 02-06-2015, 20:40   #793

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

You will love Mexican tortillas then when they come freshly made off the griddle! Corn or flour are both good.

Native-American have Indian Tacos which are similar to Mexican/Tex-Mex Sopapillas which are fluffy tortillas that can eaten with meat or just refried beans (for vegans) or for dessert with honey (traditionally) or agave (vegan). Never tried Vegemite but I hear it's an acquired taste.

Sopapillas

4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons shortening
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 quarts oil for frying

In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and shortening. Stir in water; mix until dough is smooth. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.

Roll out on floured board until 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 3 inch squares. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1433302746.605687.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	103114
Old 02-06-2015, 20:51   #794

vegemite? do you mean vegenaise
Old 03-06-2015, 15:40   #795

Boat: 47' Cutter

Hi SWL,

Not sure if my pita recipe made it through the ether to you, but below is a hit aubergine curry recipe and I think that its all vegan (??)

I've served it on a bed on spinach that wilts beautifully. I had only a can of coconut milk, water & salt to add to the recipe not the BIONA bar, veg stock I also added 2 small red thai chillis as what is a curry without a kick?? I did have the coconut oil, as this is fast becoming my summer ingredient. Perhaps the tropics are calling... roll on the end of the refit!

This recipe is from Vogue (yes really) and the lovely Hemsley and Hemsley sisters.

Ingredients (use organic ingredients where possible)
Serves 4 people

1 cup (approx 200g) of red split lentils, rinsed
3 large onions, roughly chopped or sliced
2.5 inches of ginger (you could finely chop it or grate it)
6 large cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
Optional: small pinch of ground chilli or a little fresh chilli
1 large aubergine, chopped into bite-size pieces
2 large courgettes, diced
4 large tomatoes, quartered
1 x 200g bar of BIONA creamed coconut (at room temp this bar is ⅓ oil and ⅔ coconut solids. Use the oil for frying. Carefully chop or break up the coconut solids into a few parts so that they dissolve more easily).
1.8 - 2 litres of hot home-made vegetable/meat stock or hot water (depends how thick or saucy you want your curry)
The juice and zest of 1 lime or 1 lemon (just zest the first layer, not the white pith, as this is bitter)
2-3 teaspoons of Tamari (gluten-free soy) or 2 large pinches of sea salt
1.5 teaspoons of maple syrup
1 handful of peanuts or cashews
1 handful of roughly chopped herbs such as fresh coriander, mint or basil
Raw veg like watercress, baby spinach or shredded cabbage, to serve

If you can't find a creamed coconut bar, use coconut oil/ghee or butter for frying and add 1 can of quality coconut milk (Biona). Reduce the amount of stock or water from the recipe.
Instructions
· In a large wide pot, dry fry your peanuts or cashews for a few minutes to toast them, then set aside.
· In the same pot, fry your onions, ginger, garlic and chilli in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil on a medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft (don't let the onions and garlic colour).
· Add your lentils, the roughly chopped coconut solids and then most of your hot stock or water stock and stir well. This should be enough liquid for the coconut solids to dissolve but keep an eye on the liquid levels so that the lentils don't stick and burn at the bottom.
· After 6 minutes of cooking on a medium to high heat, add your aubergines and stir.
· After a further 10 minutes, add your tomatoes, courgettes, lime or lemon zest, the Tamari or the salt if you're not using Tamari. Add more hot stock or water if you think your curry needs it.
· After 6 more minutes turn off the heat and add your lemon or lime juice, maple syrup and fresh herbs.
· Then stir and taste. You might need a little more Tamari/salt or lime/lemon juice to add sourness.
· Top with the toasted nuts (roughly chop them if you like) and serve with fresh green leaves.
If you're having guests round, we like to serve our curry with some little bowls of the extras (nuts, herbs, lemon or lime wedges and a little bowl of Tamari or sea salt) so everyone can help themselves

Big hit - it will be written in my recipe book - or what was that app that you use?

Fair winds, smooth seas and great food,

MooseMarine

PS still need lessons on font formatting!
MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote