Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 13-03-2015, 19:15   #616

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

This looks delicious. I've always wanted to get a real recipe. I've seen the glow in the dark red stuff at restaurants that scares you from the sight and the taste is sickening sweet...
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 19:43   #617

Re: Sweet & sour stir fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Here is my recipe for Sweet & sour stir fry (it can be used for anything, but I usually make it with veggies). This is commonly made on board, so I was surprised to find I hadn't posted the recipe yet.

Stir fry whatever veggies are available for this. Leave them slightly al dente (an Italian term that translates to "to the tooth" ie with slight bite and not mushy).

SWEET & SOUR STIR FRY

Sauce:
1 cup of juice from a 425g tin of pineapple pieces in natural juice (make up with water if not quite enough and reserve the pineapple)
¼ cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 tablespoons cane sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ teaspoon salt
1 heaped teaspoon grated fresh ginger

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
¼ cauliflower, cut into small florets about an inch tall
1 red onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 red or orange capsicum, core and pith removed and cut into 1cm squares
1 yellow capsicum, core and pith removed, cut into 1cm squares
Reserved pineapple pieces
(tin of corn also good added)

- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a glass jar, shake well and preferably let this stand a few hours
- Heat oil and stir fry the cauliflower a few minutes
- Add sauce, bring to the boil and let it thicken, then turn off the heat, cover and let the cauliflower cook a little more
- Add the rest of the vegetables and simmer a minute or two
(If not using a hard vegetable like cauli stir fry the other vegetables first, then add the sauce)
- Serve with rice

This recipe has been added to the index in post #1:
Me stomach is growling
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 19:44   #618

re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
This looks delicious. I've always wanted to get a real recipe. I've seen the glow in the dark red stuff at restaurants that scares you from the sight and the taste is sickening sweet...
I wouldn't eat it unless I knew exactly what it was and were it came from
Old 14-03-2015, 19:01   #619

Peruvian Quinoa Soup - less than an hour

aboard ship there is never enough room so one must improvise and have some basic recipes that will work with a multitude of ingredients like this one. I use this basic format for different soups but today I made it to emulate Peruvian Quinoa Soup! I'm not aboard ship and I have ample stored frozen veggies from my farm and others but you may substitute ingredients as you see fit, taste as you cook and all will be yummy.

a bit of olive oil...oh alright, about 2 spoons
2 cups diced onions
1 cup diced carrots
1 pepper, the Peruvian dish calls for a poblano pepper I used a semi hot green one about four inches long seeded and diced
3 spoons minced garlic I used fresh cloves smashed and diced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 medium red potatoes- any will work but please don't peel them you will be throwing away all the good stuff. Cut out any eyes or green spots and scrub the tatters with a plastic dish scrubber. I'm sure you all have those aboard ship. This cleans the tatter and removes a small portion of the skin. After cleaned dice potatoes into pieces slightly larger than the carrots cause they will cook faster.
1 15 once can of tomatoes. Please forgive me but that's what I used....how embarrassing...I hate packaged foods unless I package them
6 cups veggie broth made from odds and ends in the bottom of the frig or freezer. Parts not normally used in other recipes for various reasons are great for making soup stock and save money, time. Today I used cauliflower leaves chopped up, old parsnip, celery, beet tops< not the crown but the leaves and a bit of beet. The secret here is you can use anything just taste as you go and add salt to taste then as it cooks keep tasting adding different things till you get something you like. Don't worry you will have something in the frig to make the taste you like.
The traditional recipe calls for a cup of corn kernels canned or frozen will work I used frozen on the cob from my farm last summer. I cut them off the cob then the cob went into the broth which adds a sweetness that's yummy.
! cup zucchini squash or similar
A bit of fresh cilantro if available. A must for the Peruvian dish but not always available at sea<smile>

geezz...I thought I said this is a simple recipe?...te..he...it really is and takes less than an hour to make the first time

In a large soup pot heat the oil and sauté the onion, carrots,and peppers and potatoes until the carrots. pepper soften then add garlic oregano sauté for another minute. Add tomatoes and broth then bring to boil reduce to simmer and add quinoa and cook for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally and taste. TASTE LOTS! salt and black pepper. At this point I can feel my creation forming up and the pepper if a hot variety may need balanced with a spoonful of honey<smile>, even if it doesn't a spoonful of honey or 2....well, you know by now to taste often and honey will really make people think you are the worlds best cook. I'm not kidding. Tonight as a matter of fact I got a big kiss from a guest and my leftover soup went out the door. Marci loved my soup and wanted some for work Monday so I gave the leftovers to her.

If it hadn't of been for Marci I would not most likely have posted this recipe

Ok, back to the recipe: Add the corn kernels and zucchini simmer for another 5 or 10 until all is tender and quinoa is translucent. Ster in a bit of cilantro and place in serving bowls. Let rest for a few minutes if possible, never is for me, and enjoy

Variation I like are tofu instead of or in addition to zucchini. I love tofu

In the kitchen i save all the odds and ends from veggies putting them into ziplock bags for future use in recipes like the one above
Old 18-03-2015, 00:11   #620

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Peruvian Quinoa Soup - less than an hour
Parts not normally used in other recipes for various reasons are great for making soup stock and save money, time. Today I used cauliflower leaves chopped up, old parsnip, celery, beet tops< not the crown but the leaves and a bit of beet. The secret here is you can use anything just taste as you go and add salt to taste then as it cooks keep tasting adding different things till you get something you like.
Hi Britt
I have added the recipe to the index. Interestingly, it looks very similar to the Ecuadorean quinoa soup recipe I posted earlier. This was the first time I had explored South American cuisine.

Your tip for veggie stock is an excellent one! If I had a freezer I would definitely do this. In my opinion, the best technique for stock is to bring it to pressure, turn it off and let it sit a couple of hours to slow cook on its own. You get a wonderfully rich result. I do this mainly when making risotto (usually too lazy otherwise ).

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 00:33   #621

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cauiliflower roasted with lime and curry

While the gas supply is holding out and the scorching weather hasn't arrived, I roast like there is no tomorrow .
If anyone is curious, we carry 3 x 10-14 kg gas bottles on board. The last one lasted almost two months. In summer I usually get around double this time per bottle. It is not just that I don't want to heat the galley - in summer all thoughts of hot food just go out the hatch .

CAULIFLOWER ROASTED WITH LIME AND CURRY

1 head cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 flat teaspoons curry powder
½ teaspoon coriander
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon turmeric
juice of 1 lime (or lemon)

Grinding of salt
Chopped parsley
Lime/lemon wedges

- Mix spices, oil and juice and dip in the tips of the florets
- Lay on a lined baking tray
- Drizzle any excess oil over the cauliflower
- Bake in a moderate oven approx 15-20 minutes
- Turn and bake a further 5-10 minutes
- Arrange on a serving dish
- Grind salt over, sprinkle with parsley, add an extra drizzle of oil and serve with lime/lemon wedges for a final squeeze of fresh citrus

Recipe has been added to the index in post #1:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	99018  

Old 18-03-2015, 17:50   #622

Quote:
Hi Britt
I have added the recipe to the index. Interestingly, it looks very similar to the Ecuadorean quinoa soup recipe I posted earlier. This was the first time I had explored South American cuisine.

Your tip for veggie stock is an excellent one! If I had a freezer I would definitely do this. In my opinion, the best technique for stock is to bring it to pressure, turn it off and let it sit a couple of hours to slow cook on its own. You get a wonderfully rich result. I do this mainly when making risotto (usually too lazy otherwise ).

SWL
I don't remember seeing that one?? You must have posted it when I was having three legged cat issues and not reading all my emales. Stink, the three legged cat is back to normal and now its tax time..God sure messed up when he made all those distractions like the ones above I would rather spend time experimenting with eating food<smile> My version is really a variation of one the caretaker at my farm, a Colombian, uses.
I'll bet each south and central American country has a similar local food. I'm in ca. right now so I use for ingredients what I can get here so I guess that would be a Californian version.....Wonder if there is a Hawaian version?
Old 18-03-2015, 21:05   #623

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I don't remember seeing that one?? .......
I'll bet each south and central American country has a similar local food. I'm in ca. right now so I use for ingredients what I can get here so I guess that would be a Californian version.....Wonder if there is a Hawaian version?
The Ecuadorean Quinoa soup recipe was back in post #568 .

In common the two soups had: oil, onions, carrots, a pepper, potatoes, tinned tomatoes, oregano, vegetable stock, quinoa, zucchini, salt, pepper

In addition yours had: corn, garlic, fresh coriander
And mine had: dried coriander, cumin, a little lemon juice. I topped it with avocado slices and hot sauce and fresh parsley (no coriander available).

By the way, your quinoa soup had no quinoa in the list of ingredients . How much was used?

This is how the Ecuadorean version looked. You have inspired me to make it again tonight (I will add corn as you did). After a week of spring sunshine I have woken up to a chilly day with a cold northerly blowing and it just calls for a hearty soup like this.

SWL
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	144
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	99056  

Old 19-03-2015, 09:19   #624

Quote:
The Ecuadorean Quinoa soup recipe was back in post #568 .

In common the two soups had: oil, onions, carrots, a pepper, potatoes, tinned tomatoes, oregano, vegetable stock, quinoa, zucchini, salt, pepper

In addition yours had: corn, garlic, fresh coriander
And mine had: dried coriander, cumin, a little lemon juice. I topped it with avocado slices and hot sauce and fresh parsley (no coriander available).

By the way, your quinoa soup had no quinoa in the list of ingredients . How much was used?

This is how the Ecuadorean version looked. You have inspired me to make it again tonight (I will add corn as you did). After a week of spring sunshine I have woken up to a chilly day with a cold northerly blowing and it just calls for a hearty soup like this.

SWL

Hummm...I don't remember...grrrr...I carefully wrote down everything so I could share with everyone and i forgot. I never measure anything always just guess at the amount and this time i carefully wrote down everything....What a dummy i be, I forgot the main ingredient.....Sorry everyone, i believe it was 1/2 cup.

Cold northern, dry wind means you stay in bed nice and cozy and dream of other things...te...he.....
The thought of cold northern wind reminds me; There is more to the world than just food and taxes and we have neglected discussing the other subject in this threads title.....or maybe we should have another thread with a title like" Best foods to eat before, during, and after"........hummmm

from now on I am gonna make a special effort to include pix!
Old 19-03-2015, 09:29   #625

would anyone be interested in a fermentation recipe? Just consumed the last bit of rotten cabbage from six months ago last season and it was outstanding. Its so easy to do and makes foods that tickle your tastebuds making them dance in delite
Old 19-03-2015, 11:40   #626

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
would anyone be interested in a fermentation recipe? Just consumed the last bit of rotten cabbage from six months ago last season and it was outstanding. Its so easy to do and makes foods that tickle your tastebuds making them dance in delite
Yes please .
Are you talking about sauerkraut or kimchi? I have never tried fermenting anything, but I'm game to give it a try.

PS The addition of corn worked well in Quinoa soup. I also made a very simple but excellent dish of greens tonight that I will post the recipe for later.

SWL

Old 19-03-2015, 13:19   #627

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greens with sumac

I have just discovered a new spice, well new to me that is, it has been used for millenia . It is sumac.

These ground red/purple berries add a fresh, tart lemony edge with a bit of musky depth. I found out today this spice is absolutely perfect for sautéed greens, lifting them out of the ordinary.

Warning: The sumac plant that produces red berries which are ground into a spice is not the same species as poison sumac, which has white berries and is related to poison ivy and poison oak. Don't substitute poison sumac !!!

I can report that this easy recipe even makes greens palatable to non fans of greens . Now I am not quite sure what type of greens I bought today. They looked a bit like silverbeet, but less curly. I think it would work equally well for spinach or bok choy etc.

GREENS WITH SUMAC

4 cloves garlic (reduce to 1-2 if new season's), very finely chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
1 big bunch greens, rinsed and finely sliced
½ teaspoon sumac
Freshly ground salt and pepper
Handful of pine nuts
1 lime (or lemon)

- Sauté garlic until golden (this completely removes all harshness)
- Add onion and gently stir fry
- Toss in the greens and stir a few minutes. Don't overcook.
- Season with sumac, salt and pepper
- Serve immediately topped with pine nuts and lime wedges (squeeze the juice on when eating).

I couldn't resist a few forkfuls before this was dished up :
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	145
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	99077  

Old 19-03-2015, 13:21   #628

Quote:
Yes please .
Are you talking about sauerkraut or kimchi? I have never tried fermenting anything, but I'm game to give it a try.

PS In response to your previous comment, another thread in another forum is most appropriate, but in brief, chocolate, champagne, strawberries and body shots work for me. Oh, and is ice counted as food? I doubt whoever suggested whipped cream has ever actually tried it .

PPS The addition of corn worked well in Quinoa soup. I also made a very simple but excellent dish of greens tonight that I will post the recipe for later.

SWL
I never tried fermentation because i was intimidated with the idea of using living things to make a food and then one day i bit the bullet and took the dive discovering how easy it was. I'm getting ready to brew a new batch and i will post the method with pictures so you may see how simple it really is.
Body shots???.....ah, me mind is slow now i am getting visions of what you may mean using alcohol is that correct?...Just as I begin to picture you as a prim and proper sea captain cook you go and mess it up with visions of that naughty sassy lassie that hides within.....or is it the other part that hides within<smile>

Yes, corn adds a touch of sweet gold to the soup...

If I don't stop posting in this thread soon I will no longer have any secrets.
Gotta make some chili for a friend 800 miles away. You have given me the idea of trying a vegan chili. The one i get requests for is California chili which has mostly meat of three different kinds four kinds of peppers and up to five different tomatoes depending upon availability and other fresh herbs and spices. I'm thinking of using egg plant, portabello, crimmi mushrooms in the vegan one. What do you think? Suggestions for meat sub?

and to answer your question regarding ice: Yes, ice is water and water while not technically food is a substance we must ingest like food in order to sustain life......but so is air, is air also food? All three are taken into our bodies and fuel the chemical processes that sustain ours lives. Food a substance that nourishes

websters: Food, any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc.

So air water and munchies are all food. So when i go outside and take a deep breath of spring food catching the delicate scent of roses....chuckle....
Old 19-03-2015, 14:41   #629
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

How to Make Homemade Extracts - Vanilla, Lemon and Almond

This recipe isn't for a meal, however it is definitely vegan - and it contains alcohol - so this is a pretty good place to put it!
Old 20-03-2015, 03:19   #630

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
How to Make Homemade Extracts - Vanilla, Lemon and Almond

This recipe isn't for a meal, however it is definitely vegan - and it contains alcohol - so this is a pretty good place to put it!
It was be just fantastic being able to make vanilla extract! And it sounds so easy. The stuff I buy here is yuk (thick and sweet and just not quite the right flavour) so I bring back a few bottles each time I go back to Australia. I will probably be able to get vanilla pods in Leros in the next few weeks, so I will make some and report back.

Lemon essence would be interesting for general cooking and a good way of making use of excess lemons in winter. The recipe only uses the rind of one per cup of alcohol, but I may try a bit extra. I have lots of lemons and limes on board at the moment and will give it a go this afternoon.

Thanks .

SWL x