Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 09:04   #601

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
If you find you need some sprouts try lentils, they are delicious, slighty peppery, a great addition to salads.
I have used tiny brown lentils for sprouting and they do work well .
I have just missed alfalfa, so it was good to find this.

Making sweet and sour for dinner tonight and will post the recipe later. This is a tried and true favourite on board .

SWL x

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 21:00   #602

Lentil sprouts sound great! I've never tried them. Any specific type? I have some French Lentils that I got to make soup but I would try to sprout some.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 22:53   #603

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Fenugreek sprouts are really spicy flavored, too, if you can find the seeds. I think they're yummy.

Ann
Old 12-03-2015, 00:40   #604

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Fenugreek sprouts are really spicy flavored, too, if you can find the seeds. I think they're yummy.

Ann
Ann, thanks for that suggestion. I have never tried fenugreek, although I have some on board (I use them in eggplant chutney along with mustard seeds). How long do you soak them for initially?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Lentil sprouts sound great! I've never tried them. Any specific type? I have some French Lentils that I got to make soup but I would try to sprout some.
I use the little brown ones. The packages are all printed in Greek, so I don't know what they are specifically called.

This is a photo of them next to chick peas and red lentils to give you an idea of their size:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	98757  

Old 12-03-2015, 00:54   #605

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For those of you who haven't sprouted before, here are some instrustions. Sprouts are packed with nutrients and usually eaten raw, but may be lightly cooked. I find them great particularly when supplies of fresh vegetables are getting low.

SPROUTING INSTRUCTIONS

¼ cup dried lentils, alfalfa or mung beans (all I have tried)
Wide-mouthed glass jar
Light cloth for covering jar & elastic

LENTILS:
- Soak dried lentils in water for 8 to 14 hours, depending on size
- Rinse the lentils thoroughly after soaking, to remove acids and toxins
- Drain the water and cover the jar with a light cloth, secure with elastic
- Place the jar on its side in a cool, semi-lit location on a slight tilt so that extra liquid can drain
- Rinse lentils well every 8 to 12 hours, draining the water well
- Ready in 2-3 days
- Refrigerate if not using soon

MUNG BEANS:
As above (soak about 12 hours)

ALFALFA:
As above (soak 4 hours)

Old 12-03-2015, 01:17   #606
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
For those of you who haven't sprouted before, here are some instrustions. Sprouts are packed with nutrients and usually eaten raw, but may be lightly cooked. I find them great particularly when supplies of fresh vegetables are getting low.

SPROUTING INSTRUCTIONS

¼ cup dried lentils, alfalfa or mung beans (all I have tried)
Wide-mouthed glass jar
Light cloth for covering jar & elastic

LENTILS:
- Soak dried lentils in water for 8 to 14 hours, depending on size
- Rinse the lentils thoroughly after soaking, to remove acids and toxins
- Drain the water and cover the jar with a light cloth, secure with elastic
- Place the jar on its side in a cool, semi-lit location on a slight tilt so that extra liquid can drain
- Rinse lentils well every 8 to 12 hours, draining the water well
- Ready in 2-3 days
- Refrigerate if not using soon

MUNG BEANS:
As above (soak about 12 hours)

ALFALFA:
As above (soak 4 hours)
I use to do all my sprouts this way but the attached thread describes a different method which gives shorter, thicker sprouts. Particularly good if using mung bean sprouts in Chinese dishes.

This method is no good for alfalfa and other tiny seeds as they fall through the holes!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ide-75642.html
Old 12-03-2015, 11:30   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

Ann
fenugreek??....interesting idea and one i will surely experiment with. Thank you very much
. However my experiance with fenugreek has been with lactating moms and asthmatics. fenugreek since before the dark ages has been used to jump start lactation and increase flow. Also is used by asthmatics in a tea with honey to reduce symptoms and improve breathing. Not sure what the physiological process is that helps some asthmatics but from personal experience it does help. If I had to guess I would say most likely increases the flow of mucus in the lungs flushing out irritants in the terminal bronchioles thereby depressing immune response and relieveing symptoms.
This recipe may save some hay fever, asthmatic sufferers discomfort.

Note: Honey has also been used forever to control hay fever if taken daily and may have a synergetic effect with fenugreek. See: drug Synergy < the effect of two drugs taken together equaling an effect possibly many times, even hundreds, greater than each drug by itself .

Note: Just remembered, should drink a large cup of the infusion first thing in the morning and again before bed.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:00   #608
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
fenugreek??....interesting idea and one i will surely experiment with. Thank you very much
. However my experiance with fenugreek has been with lactating moms and asthmatics. fenugreek since before the dark ages has been used to jump start lactation and increase flow. Also is used by asthmatics in a tea with honey to reduce symptoms and improve breathing. Not sure what the physiological process is that helps some asthmatics but from personal experience it does help. If I had to guess I would say most likely increases the flow of mucus in the lungs flushing out irritants in the terminal bronchioles thereby depressing immune response and relieveing symptoms.
This recipe may save some hay fever, asthmatic sufferers discomfort.

Note: Honey has also been used forever to control hay fever if taken daily and may have a synergetic effect with fenugreek. See: drug Synergy < the effect of two drugs taken together equaling an effect possibly many times, even hundreds, greater than each drug by itself .

Note: Just remembered, should drink a large cup of the infusion first thing in the morning and again before bed.
Very interesting. I've also seen standard black tea help asthmatics, the caffiene and theophylline, although in very small doses do seem to have an effect.

For maximum benefit from honey if you suffer with hay fever, you should always buy it locally as it will be made with the same pollen that probably causes your symptoms (I think that's probably the first time we've agreed on the topic honey, Britt! ;-))
Old 12-03-2015, 14:01   #609

Sorry, guys, I only ate them, didn't grow them, so I don't know how long to soak fenugreek seeds, but I'd start with 8 hrs., fwiw.

Ann
Old 12-03-2015, 16:28   #610

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Very interesting. I've also seen standard black tea help asthmatics, the caffiene and theophylline, although in very small doses do seem to have an effect.

For maximum benefit from honey if you suffer with hay fever, you should always buy it locally as it will be made with the same pollen that probably causes your symptoms (I think that's probably the first time we've agreed on the topic honey, Britt! ;-))
Well I don't agree with you this time<smile>. First of all there is no scientific evidence to support local honey as being more effective for allergies. At least I am not aware of any. If you know of any please forward me the documentation or a link to the actual study. Keep in mind in order for the study to be accepted by scientists it must have been published in a scientific journal for per review and results must be confirmed by other scientists. The abstract also will outline the procedures used to conduct the experiment and research.
That said I warn you that many organization publish information that isn't backed by real science like the American Honey Board.
This topic even though food related is off topic and we should continue this conversation else where. I'll end with this statement: There is evidence that supports the fact that honey is effective in suppressing allergies. The local honey thing just makes sense to a layman so is parroted around the world as the gospel.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 18:14   #611

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

Ann~I'm a child of the 60's ✌️and thought I'd sprouted everything- but not fenugreek. I've got to try them. Thanks!!

Seaworthy Lass- Thanks for the refresher for sprouting. It's been a while and I don't know why. It's so easy and they are soooo good!

NornaBiron~the container looks great to use. Do you put the lid on after you drain and start sprouting?

I've always used the canning Jar method with a piece of pantyhose over the opening held on by the jar ring. But I don't know when I've last had pantyhose!! Guess I can use cheesecloth? LOL!!

I've heard the local honey thing too. It makes sense since the bees gather the nectar of local plants so you get exposed little by little. I hear you have to start a couple months before allergy season. I use honey from Oregon which is much cleaner than LA bees can gather. 🍂🐝
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 00:42   #612

This may not be quite the proper venue for this, but were you all aware that bee honey is used for curing burns?

Obviously this has nothing to do with recipes, so please forgive the digression.
Old 13-03-2015, 00:42   #613
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=Sailor g;1773226

NornaBiron~the container looks great to use. Do you put the lid on after you drain and start sprouting?.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I keep mung beans in the dark too, just cover them with a dark cloth. Once they start to sprout I find that the water filled container isn't usually heavy enough to make them fat so a couple of big books go on top too!
Old 13-03-2015, 00:43   #614
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Well I don't agree with you this time<smile>. First of all there is no scientific evidence to support local honey as being more effective for allergies. At least I am not aware of any. If you know of any please forward me the documentation or a link to the actual study. Keep in mind in order for the study to be accepted by scientists it must have been published in a scientific journal for per review and results must be confirmed by other scientists. The abstract also will outline the procedures used to conduct the experiment and research.
That said I warn you that many organization publish information that isn't backed by real science like the American Honey Board.
This topic even though food related is off topic and we should continue this conversation else where. I'll end with this statement: There is evidence that supports the fact that honey is effective in suppressing allergies. The local honey thing just makes sense to a layman so is parroted around the world as the gospel.
Old 13-03-2015, 08:01   #615

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sweet & sour stir fry

Here is my recipe for Sweet & sour stir fry (it can be used for anything, but I usually make it with veggies). This is commonly made on board, so I was surprised to find I hadn't posted the recipe yet.

Stir fry whatever veggies are available for this. Leave them slightly al dente (an Italian term that translates to "to the tooth" ie with slight bite and not mushy).

SWEET & SOUR STIR FRY

Sauce:
1 cup of juice from a 425g tin of pineapple pieces in natural juice (make up with water if not quite enough and reserve the pineapple)
¼ cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 tablespoons cane sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ teaspoon salt
1 heaped teaspoon grated fresh ginger

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
¼ cauliflower, cut into small florets about an inch tall
1 red onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 red or orange capsicum, core and pith removed and cut into 1cm squares
1 yellow capsicum, core and pith removed, cut into 1cm squares
Reserved pineapple pieces
(tin of corn also good added)

- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a glass jar, shake well and preferably let this stand a few hours
- Heat oil and stir fry the cauliflower a few minutes
- Add sauce, bring to the boil and let it thicken, then turn off the heat, cover and let the cauliflower cook a little more
- Add the rest of the vegetables and simmer a minute or two
(If not using a hard vegetable like cauli stir fry the other vegetables first, then add the sauce)
- Serve with rice

This recipe has been added to the index in post #1:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	98800