Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 19-10-2013, 13:45   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Favourite Vegan Boat Recipes

Folks, 'vegan' is not a dirty word

I was going to make this the title but it wouldn't fit in the space:

"What to make while cruising when heat coupled by lack of refrigeration don't allow long term storage of animal products, or when you are in parts of the world that these are unavailable, or when you have simply been away from civilisation for long enough to run out of stuff or the closest shop is a 15km walk away and you don't feel like an expedition or can't bring it back in the heat without spoiling, or you are trying to live off $500 a month".

I abbreviated it to 'vegan', but it seems to be scaring people off .

Does no one else make anything on board that doesn't contain animal products or are they just not favourite recipes LOL?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 14:22   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

If you have no fridges, you cannot keep fresh vegs either. Both meat and vegs can be gotten canned too. And in remote areas it often is easier to get some form of meat than fresh vegs anyways. Unless by remote you mean Mexico.

If people say vegan is a dirty word, I wonder what they do with all those cucumbers, crougettes, aubergines... ;-))))))))))))))))))))

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 23:34   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If you have no fridges, you cannot keep fresh vegs either. Both meat and vegs can be gotten canned too. And in remote areas it often is easier to get some form of meat than fresh vegs anyways. Unless by remote you mean Mexico.
Here in Greece lots of times I have unexpectedly run out of diary or eggs even if it is only for a day or two and in summer fresh meat is often near impossible to get on board in the isolated anchorages we prefer, so meat is rarely on the menu.

Sometimes running out is due to bad planning on my part (yep, even after six years I'm still guilty if that), sometimes because I we are unexpectedly lingering in a gorgeous spot with no access to shops, sometimes bad weather prevents me from getting the dinghy ashore when I had planned to top up with supplies.

I may still have fruit and veg such as apples, potatoes and onions, and to have a collection of recipes at my fingertips that enable me to produce yummy food with ingredients that keep well long tern without refrigeration has made our meals so much better .

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If people say vegan is a dirty word, I wonder what they do with all those cucumbers, crougettes, aubergines... ;-))))))))))))))))))))
Aubergines?
The mind boggles .

Old 19-10-2013, 23:44   #19

Coops suggested I should share a recipe coz although I eat meat I also love meatless meals as well

Chickpea and Potato Curry
will feed 4-6 depending on what extra veg you put in.

Ingredients

10ml vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
20g ginger and garlic paste (2.5 cm piece ginger, 2 garlic cloves pureed)
2 teaspoon tumeric powder
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (or minced chilli)
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon of tamarind pulp
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

150g chopped tomatoes (or 1 can)
Salt to taste
1 can chickpeas
200ml water
2 bay leaves
2 large potatoes cut into 2.5cm chunks
Sweet potato cut into 2.5cm chunks
Pumpkin cut into 2.5cm chunks
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
green beans cut into 2cm
Peas
Corn

Method
Heat oil. Fry onion until brown, add ginger, garlic paste and all the first section of spices and cook for a couple of minutes until the raw ginger and garlic smell disappears, then add tomatoes.
Cook for 15 minutes on a low heat
Add salt, chickpeas, bay leaves and potatoes, carrots and stir it all together till everything is coated with spices. Add the water and the cinnamon and cover with a lid, then cook until potatoes are tender. Just add the other veg you feel like putting in according to the time they generally take to cook.

Garnish with coriander, garam masala and julienne ginger.
FoxyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 00:39   #20

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Wife strolls up and down the vegan/vegetarian road. Me-tenderloin Maria Luisa to eating radishes with the dirt still on them. No problems, but seriously, I do feel better when I stay with her production. Lowers my diabetic #s as well.
Old 20-10-2013, 08:58   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Years add memories and memories add wealth . Each time I even think of making this recipe it evokes images of sitting in Hindu temples at dawn, land mine warning signs decorating schools walls, fishing nets cast over flat lagoons, tortoises traversing potholed roads after rain, skinny children shouldering bolt action rifles and laden ammunition belts, school girls riding ox carts in pristine white uniforms .....

This recipe came from far north eastern Sri Lanka. I was served it for breakfast daily with chilli spiked grated coconut and slices of banana. On board I prefer it as a dip .

DEVI's DHAL

1 cup red lentils, rinsed well
Thumb size bit of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
2 small green chillies, sliced (or if not on hand use red chilli or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes)
1/2 tsp salt
Coconut cream to taste (I use a tbl of coconut cream powder on board, as I don't waste whole carton or tin then)

Cover lentils with about a cm of water in a saucepan.
Add everything else but the coconut cream.
Simmer gently covered about 20 minutes until lentils are soft, adding more water if necessary (I turn it off at about 10 minutes and let it sit to conserve gas).
Simmer with the lid off until the mixture is fluffy, not wet.
Add coconut cream.

Serve warm or cold as a dip or side dish (or breakfast if you are game LOL). Icy cold bubbly is a perfect accompaniment. We are just munching on it now watching a glorious sunset:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	69013  

Old 21-10-2013, 00:38   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You are a tough crowd to please LOL.
What about rich plump chocolaty oatmeal raisin cookies: crisp bottom, thick, chewy centre. I challenge you to stop at just one .

Warning: Don't read any further if you have an aversion to using sugar (not criticizing if you do, there's not a lot going for it, particularly in big quantities), but for anyone else, this is an essential boat recipe. It is not quite the same as the buttery original version, but I think equally good.

The beauty of this recipe is that ALL the ingredients will store well for months unrefrigerated.
And I would argue that in small quantities these cookies are good for the soul .

CHOCOLATE OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES

1 cup raisins or sultanas
A shot of espresso or 1 tsp instant coffee
1 cup boiling water

2/3 cup soft brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tbl of the liquid from soaking the raisins (original recipes had 1 egg instead, but it works well without)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (original recipes had 125g butter instead)

1.5 cups instant rolled oats
50-100 g chopped chocolate or chocolate chips (dark, milk or white; good without as well)
3/4 cup cake flour
1 heaped tbl cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt (I don't use this as I don't like the taste of salt in cookies)

20-24 hazelnuts (optional)

Soak the raisins in the coffee and water first so that they have a chance to plump up (they need at least 5 minutes).
Tip the oats and choc in a bowl, then sift in the flour, cocoa baking powder and cinnamon.
In a separate large bowl, whisk together the oil, brown sugar, 3 tbl coffee and vanilla until smooth.
Roughly drain the raisins and add.
Stir in the flour/oats mixture.
Press into 20-24 balls (hands on job LOL). They are sticky, so I roughly form 24 lots then wet my hands before rolling into balls.
Press a hazelnut into the top of each.
Bake at about 175 C for 8 minutes.

They should be be undercooked in the centre, or they will end up dry. The consistency to aim for is crisp on the bottom with a soft chewy centre.

Don't worry about undercooking them - the mix is great raw. As usual, my hubby has just managed to pilfer a couple before they went in the oven :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	69062  

Old 21-10-2013, 03:41   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

My favourite cocoa is Green & Black's organic fair trade. It is available from Amazon UK with free delivery to Greece, so I stock up when in a settled anchorage during winter and can take delivery easily. Interestingly it is nearly four times the price through Amazon US.

Green and Black's Organic Cocoa 125 g (Pack of 6): Amazon.co.uk: Grocery
)
Free supersaver delivery to Greece from Amazon.co.uk ended in June, to much protesting from all in Crete! I've written to many people at Amazon, including the CEO, Jeff Bezos, asking for their reasoning behind this change and have received the standard 'fob off' reply every time. Their delivery charges are still pretty reasonable but not as good as free!
Old 21-10-2013, 03:52   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Free supersaver delivery to Greece from Amazon.co.uk ended in June, to much protesting from all in Crete! I've written to many people at Amazon, including the CEO, Jeff Bezos, asking for their reasoning behind this change and have received the standard 'fob off' reply every time. Their delivery charges are still pretty reasonable but not as good as free!
Oh! I have been putting together a long list of things I want to order in December.

It was probably the two of us who caused this with all of our orders, sacks of flour included LOL.

Old 21-10-2013, 04:00   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

I've put together a hypothetical order, including three 16kg sacks of bread flour, and the delivery for approx £200 of goods was less than £40. I didn't think that was too bad considering the weight.
Old 21-10-2013, 04:20   #26

Hi Seaworthy Lass

I am not a vegan - far from it - but this recipe might work for you.

Serves 4 big bowls

This takes about 15 minutes to do all the hard work and about 45 minutes watching it cook

1 kg tomatoes
300-400g onions
2 sides from a red pepper
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
Olive oil flavoured with basil
Salt and pepper

Chop the tomatoes into quarters. Slice the red pepper into thin slices and chop the garlic. Peel and coarsely chop the onions and add to a deep saucepan. Sprinkle with olive oil. I like to use olive oil with basil in it but not too much. This soup is mild in flavour and herbs will overpower it very easily.

Cook the garlic and onions until they loose their white colour and start to go translucent. Add the tomatoes and tomatoe puree and red peppers. Mix together and then add boiling water until the vegetables are just covered. Cook on a low flame for 15 minutes.

Using a hand blender or magimix blend the gloop down to the consistency you like to have your soup. After it is blended add a little salt and pepper and leave to cook for another 5 minutes then taste it to see how it is coming along. If it needs more salt and pepper then add some and leave for another 5 minutes and retaste. Repeat this until it is right. If you make it too salty, add some water and a dab of tomato puree.

For best results, leave the soup to cool overnight and eat the following day with wholemeal baguettes and cold butter.
beverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 04:42   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

They may make good lovers but...
The foods boring and the farts are awful.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 04:53   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverley View Post
Hi Seaworthy Lass
I am not a vegan - far from it - but this recipe might work for you.
Oh, yum! Thanks. I love tomato soup. I bet this would be great with pan toasted croutons. I will give it a go next time I hit a grocery and can find tomatoes. Wonder how well it would work with tinned Roma tomatoes? I don't keep tins of much, but tomatoes are a good staple.

PS I am not a vegan either LOL, I just run out of stuff occasionally and vegan recipes are always so useful when that happens .

We will currently be away from shops for the next 2-4 weeks and although I have stocked up on eggs and cheese and yoghurt, we are bound to run out of something beforehand. Meat will be out of the question during that time (no freezer on board and I think tinned meat products are yuk).

Old 21-10-2013, 04:59   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
They may make good lovers but...
The foods boring and the farts are awful.....
Wouldn't you say the good lover bit makes up for it though?

Old 21-10-2013, 05:33   #30

Quote:
Oh, yum! Thanks. I love tomato soup. I bet this would be great with pan toasted croutons. I will give it a go next time I hit a grocery and can find tomatoes. Wonder how well it would work with tinned Roma tomatoes? I don't keep tins of much, but tomatoes are a good staple.
I know some people who used tinned tomatoes and they use a bit some puree to make up for any lack of flavour

Quote:
PS I am not a vegan either LOL, I just run out of stuff occasionally and vegan recipes are always so useful when that happens .
I sometimes like a lot of vegetables and just a little meat and sometimes no meat at all. It depends on my mood. I will dig out my recipe for Aloo (spicy potatoes) and post it up here.

Quote:
We will currently be away from shops for the next 2-4 weeks and although I have stocked up on eggs and cheese and yoghurt, we are bound to run out of something beforehand. Meat will be out of the question during that time (no freezer on board and I think tinned meat products are yuk).
I agree with tinned meat being rubbish quality. What I have done in the past is use them as a base in casseroles or other dishes with a heavy gravy or sauces. Vacuum packed beef or lamb can last a long time as can pork if converted to smoked ham, but chicken seems to go off no matter how it is packed.
beverley is offline   Reply With Quote