Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 25-12-2015, 22:49   #1156

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Aw shucks, I liked the previous thread title

(but I see your point)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 03:46   #1157
vjm

Seaworthy Lass, you are the best. I liked the previous title too, but this one is more accurate. I look forward to contributing some recipes once I have more experience using the galley underway.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 06:24   #1158

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
Seaworthy Lass, you are the best. I liked the previous title too, but this one is more accurate. I look forward to contributing some recipes once I have more experience using the galley underway.
Some fresh ideas would be brilliant .

SWL
PS The previous title should have been changed ages ago - the 'lovers' reference was just a shameless attempt to initially entice a bit more interest in the thread .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 08:39   #1159
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Some fresh ideas would be brilliant .

SWL
PS The previous title should have been changed ages ago - the 'lovers' reference was just a shameless attempt to initially entice a bit more interest in the thread .
Well Yeah - but watch your ratings take a dive now…

I will soon be unsubscribing

Unless there is more choccy and SM stuff .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 11:55   #1160

Boat: Catalina 30

Change it again to "Elvis Sighted Eating Veggies"
and watch your ratings go back up.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 23:08   #1161

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well Yeah - but watch your ratings take a dive now…

I will soon be unsubscribing

Unless there is more choccy and SM stuff .
Always plenty of choccy and SM stuff on board, but this site is PG rated .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
Change it again to "Elvis Sighted Eating Veggies"
and watch your ratings go back up.
LOL, good one .

It is recipes, not ratings we want though. Let's see if a wholesome, non scary title can coax members to share a few favourites and spread the pleasure around .

SWL

Old 27-12-2015, 20:05   #1162

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

We just ate these guys for dinner tonight. I grew mung beans into bean sprouts, started about 6 days ago and made a chinese chop suey (or what my mom called it in Canada). Stir fry: Bean sprouts, mushrooms, green onions, ginger, garlic, then make a sauce w/sesame oil oyster and soy sauce and water. Over jasmine rice. It was so good.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1451275329752.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	115721  
Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 21:07   #1163

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
We just ate these guys for dinner tonight. I grew mung beans into bean sprouts, started about 6 days ago and made a chinese chop suey (or what my mom called it in Canada). Stir fry: Bean sprouts, mushrooms, green onions, ginger, garlic, then make a sauce w/sesame oil oyster and soy sauce and water. Over jasmine rice. It was so good.
Cherise, that sounds delicious. I love that combo of flavours.

Jedi posted a thread a while back on how to grow thick sprouts the Chinese way (in the dark with a weight):
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ide-75642.html

NornaBiron uses this method now and she swears by it.

SWL
PS Your recipe has just been added it to the index in post #1.

Old 27-12-2015, 21:14   #1164

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

Thanks. I will check that out, thank you.
My next method will be repurposing a used juice/milk carton (like the rice milk kind). I was told darkness and dampness were the keys. But weight makes sense.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 00:04   #1165

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
Thanks. I will check that out, thank you.
My next method will be repurposing a used juice/milk carton (like the rice milk kind). I was told darkness and dampness were the keys. But weight makes sense.
Sprouts are fantastic on board, providing a fresh crunchy "vegetable" when you are out of reach of shops, but I have only sprouted mung beans using the same technique as for alfalfa (see post #605). The fat ones sound appealing .

You have inspired me to finally try and translate Jedi's 3 blogs describing the "fat bean sprout" technique. It was a slow process on an iPad, as whole pages cannot be translated. I will send Jedi a PM and ask him to check my précis.

Jedi's 18 photos showing the entire process can be seen here:
https://sv-jedi.smugmug.com/GalleyRe...auge/i-H8nwZNF

So here goes:

FAT FRESH BEAN SPROUTS

Requirements:
► Mung beans
► Filtered water
► 3 squat plastic containers around 750ml, that stack snuggly together (using a hot soldering iron pierce the base of one of these with lots of drainage holes that are a bit smaller than mung bean sized creating what will be a "colander")
► Lid from one of these containers

The beans need to be tended every 12 hours, so it is best starting in the morning or early evening. Total time taken is 60 hours. Differences in climate and the beans themselves may vary the time taken.

Step 1:
Sprinkle a layer of beans in one of the two bowls without holes, making sure that it is only a single layer of beans, with no beans on top of each other (don't overcrowd them as they will suffocate and the whole harvest will fail). It doesn't seem like much, but it will provide a large bowl of sprouts.
Pour about a third of a container of water on the beans, put on the lid and leave 12 hours.

Step 2:
12 hours later the beans will be about tripled in volume and the green skins cracked open. Working over the galley sink, tip the beans and water into the tray with the holes ie the "colander". Rinse the beans under the tap and shake to remove excess water.
Stack this "colander" with beans on top of one of the other trays (this will capture any excess water). Place the third tray (empty) on top of the beans, cover with the lid and leave 12 hours.

Step 3:
12 hours later short white sprouts will be starting to appear. Rinse both the beans and the drip tray, stack the trays as before and leave another 12 hours.

Step 4:
12 hours later the white sprouts will be longer. Rinse the beans and tray as before, but when stacking the trays, half fill the top one with water before putting on the lid and leave the stack somewhere dark for 12 hours. The beans need to push the water up to grow, creating fatter shoots. The darkness fools the beans into thinking they are underground so they will grow straight, as if to the sun.

Step 5:
12 hours later the growth will have been substantial. Rinse the bean and drip tray again, but this time completely fill the top tray with water when re-stacking. Place in the dark again for another 12 hours.

Step 6:
12 hours later the beans will have completely pushed up the tray with water! Looking from the side you will see straight thick white shoots. There will be roots emerging through the "colander" holes.
Tip the sprouts into a large bowl and tip the water from the top tray into it. Gently shake out the sprouts, then lift them out, leaving excess green skins and any underdeveloped sprouts (discard all these).
Dry the sprouts as much as possible using paper towels or a lettuce centrifuge.

If you are not using them immediately, for longevity store the sprouts refrigerated in a container similar to the sprouting stack, but with a perforated lid. This ensure the sprouts are not sitting in moisture and they can "breathe". They should keep for about a week this way.

Jedi, thanks for describing this process .

SWL

Old 28-12-2015, 01:53   #1166
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Always plenty of choccy and SM stuff on board, but this site is PG rated :big grin:….
PG eh, well I better not post the recipes then so here are some links for your pleasure.

Choccy from Igor
DARK Fortunato No. 4 Peru — Anvers Chocolate
There might be better but I have never had better than Igor prepares.

And for SM…
Mark knows his stuff - getting a lot of exposure lately
Local whisky ranked in world's top ten | Hellyers Road Distillery
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 02:06   #1167

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
PG eh, well I better not post the recipes then so here are some links for your pleasure.

Choccy from Igor

And for SM…
Mark knows his stuff - getting a lot of exposure lately
Local whisky ranked in world's top ten | Hellyers Road Distillery
Oh, smelling salts (or better still, a whiff of SM) now required .

SWL

Old 28-12-2015, 08:21   #1168

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Choccy from Igor
Wottie, you are such a BAD influence. My finger hovered over the "Buy" button for a while before I guiltily hit it, only to be saved by the fact that they do not ship overseas .

SWL

Old 28-12-2015, 11:22   #1169
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Sprouts are fantastic on board, providing a fresh crunchy "vegetable" when you are out of reach of shops, but I have only sprouted mung beans using the same technique as for alfalfa (see post #605). The fat ones sound appealing .

You have inspired me to finally try and translate Jedi's 3 blogs describing the "fat bean sprout" technique. It was a slow process on an iPad, as whole pages cannot be translated. I will send Jedi a PM and ask him to check my précis.

So here goes:

FAT FRESH BEAN SPROUTS

Requirements:
► Mung beans
► Filtered water
► 3 squat plastic containers around 750ml, that stack snuggly together (using a hot soldering iron pierce the base of one of these with lots of drainage holes that are a bit smaller than mung bean sized creating what will be a "colander")

The beans need to be tended every 12 hours, so it is best starting in the morning or early evening. Total time taken is 60 hours. Differences in climate and the beans themselves may vary the time taken.

Step 1:
Sprinkle a layer of beans in one of the two bowls without holes, making sure that it is only a single layer of beans, with no beans on top of each other (don't overcrowd them as they will suffocate and the whole harvest will fail). It doesn't seem like much, but it will provide a large bowl of sprouts.
Pour about a third of a container of water on the beans, put on the lid and leave 12 hours.

Step 2:
12 hours later the beans will be about tripled in volume and the green skins cracked open. Working over the galley sink, tip the beans and water into the tray with the holes ie the "colander". Rinse the beans under the tap and shake to remove excess water.
Stack this "colander" with beans on top of one of the other trays (this will capture any excess water). Place the third tray (empty) on top of the beans, cover with the lid and leave 12 hours.

Step 3:
12 hours later short white sprouts will be starting to appear. Rinse both the beans and the drip tray, stack the trays as before and leave another 12 hours.

Step 4:
12 hours later the white sprouts will be longer. Rinse the beans and tray as before, but when stacking the trays, half fill the top one with water before putting on the lid and leave the stack somewhere dark for 12 hours. The beans need to push the water up to grow, creating fatter shoots. The darkness fools the beans into thinking they are underground so they will grow straight, as if to the sun.

Step 5:
12 hours later the growth will have been substantial. Rinse the bean and drip tray again, but this time completely fill the top tray with water when re-stacking. Place in the dark again for another 12 hours.

Step 6:
12 hours later the beans will have completely pushed up the tray with water! Looking from the side you will see straight thick white shoots. There will be roots emerging through the "colander" holes.
Tip the sprouts into a large bowl and tip the water from the top tray into it. Gently shake out the sprouts, then lift them out, leaving excess green skins and any underdeveloped sprouts (discard all these).

If you are not using them immediately, for longevity store the sprouts refrigerated in a container similar to the sprouting stack, but with a perforated lid. This ensure the sprouts are not sitting in moisture and they can "breathe". They should keep for about a week this way.

SWL
This is pretty much the method I use for sprouts, taken from Jedi's original post several years ago.

I've made a few modifications though! In the summer heat of the Mediterranean the sprouts need rinsing three and sometimes four times a day or they will dry out. The soaking process only needs to be 8 hours too or the beans start to ferment in the heat. I usually find that I need to add a big fat book to the sprouting tier to encourage thick sprouts, the water tray never seems to be quite heavy enough. Once harvested, I keep the sprouts, dried as much as possible, wrapped loosely in kitchen paper in a plastic tub in the fridge. The sprouts grow in a couple of days in the middle of summer so I use them pretty quick and usually have a new tray started as soon as I harvest the last.
Old 28-12-2015, 11:25   #1170
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I think the translation is good We call these bean sprouts "taugé" which is a malaysian word AFAIK.

It is important to understand that the sprouts push the whole container filled with water upwards because they are in the dark and try to grow to above ground. The weight of the container is what makes them thick (strong).

I started doung this method when I read how the Chinese do this: they put the beans in a sort of flat barrel, with a lid on that and a pile of rocks on top of that lid. I turned that into a modern version with the pre-soak and 12-hour rinse periods. The darkness and weight is from the Chinese story

Quote:

So here goes:

FAT FRESH BEAN SPROUTS

Requirements:
► Mung beans
► Filtered water

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5:

Step 6:

SWL

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote