Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 20-07-2015, 08:41   #931

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
You are one Sassie Lassie this morning!!
It's all that gazpacho .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 08:47   #932
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
You are one Sassie Lassie this morning!!
You can tell the difference?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 11:43   #933

...Becky, my note wasn't meant to criticize, it was simply intended to try and get people to really look at what they are doing and not to just say, oh, the new super dupper infallible weight loss diet I'm gonna do it. My note was intended to compliment your note which was well written without fault.
Most people tend to just trust what they read especially if there is a Dr., PH. d, or the words scientific study, included in the sales pitch. Anything you read that dosen't include documentation listing sources of supporting scientific data is just conversation or just a snake oil sales pitch without any backing in real science. I was a research scientist until i recently retired and know the value of accurate data. I have seen the damage that can be done when the scientific method is not followed and researchers jump to conclusions. I've also seen this bad science used on the net in sales pitches for the new "breakthrough technology" posted to generate cash not health.
I didn't mean to imply you were on a fad diet I just wished to caution readers regarding the elimination of lipids which can cause serious vitamin and other nutrient deficiencies eventually affecting their health and longevity.,

I have a long gone friend that killed herself by following a very popular and effective fad diet pushing weight loss pills. The pills eventually damaged her heart and for her remaining couple of years she was required to live with a catheter into her heart and a pump that dripped medication to keep her alive. The pump was taped to her chest a little below and between her breasts enabling her to lead an almost normal life. So because of Joan I can't help myself from cautioning people regarding nutrition and fad diets.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 13:04   #934

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
...Becky, my note wasn't meant to criticize, it was simply intended to try and get people to really look at what they are doing and not to just say, oh, the new super dupper infallible weight loss diet I'm gonna do it. My note was intended to compliment your note which was well written without fault.
Most people tend to just trust what they read especially if there is a Dr., PH. d, or the words scientific study, included in the sales pitch. Anything you read that dosen't include documentation listing sources of supporting scientific data is just conversation or just a snake oil sales pitch without any backing in real science. I was a research scientist until i recently retired and know the value of accurate data. I have seen the damage that can be done when the scientific method is not followed and researchers jump to conclusions. I've also seen this bad science used on the net in sales pitches for the new "breakthrough technology" posted to generate cash not health.
I didn't mean to imply you were on a fad diet I just wished to caution readers regarding the elimination of lipids which can cause serious vitamin and other nutrient deficiencies eventually affecting their health and longevity.,

I have a long gone friend that killed herself by following a very popular and effective fad diet pushing weight loss pills. The pills eventually damaged her heart and for her remaining couple of years she was required to live with a catheter into her heart and a pump that dripped medication to keep her alive. The pump was taped to her chest a little below and between her breasts enabling her to lead an almost normal life. So because of Joan I can't help myself from cautioning people regarding nutrition and fad diets.
I understand what you are saying and apologize if I misunderstood the intent of your post. I also agree with you wholeheartedly. A good friend of mine has a co-worker that is on a diet that I consider to be a very extreme, and very dangerous fad diet but as long as the ketostix turn whatever color they are supposed to turn and she is losing weight she doesn't care. I have sent a lot of information to my friend about some of the bad consequences of this diet, because she had mentioned that she might want to try it, but it's all about weight loss for her. I hope she comes to her senses before she ends up like your friend.

And regarding your friend, I am so very sorry. That must have been extremely hard for you to watch.

The other extreme of that is when you have people you care for that have extremely bad health problems that could be helped if only they would make even minor healthy adjustments. My sister in law has cirrhosis of the liver. She has never drank in her life but she doesn't cook at all and eats an almost 100% fast food diet, sausage McMuffins with egg for breakfast, fast food burger and fries with sugar soda for lunch, and often the same for dinner. Maybe she'll deviate and have friend chicken or pizza. Honestly it's a wonder she isn't dead. She almost is. She is nearly to the point where she is eligible for a transplant. In the meantime they could do some kind of procedure called a TIPS I think, but she is so full of fluid all the time, won't change her diet, won't take her diuretics, won't do a darn thing to help herself. I don't know which is worse.
Old 20-07-2015, 16:41   #935
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Did I read something about pizza dough? Here's the best of recipes for that:

1 can pilsener beer
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cups bread flour
1 tbsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp instant yeast

Throw in machine and activate standard dough program. When finished, dump contents on floured surface and fold while adding flour until it is dry enough to handle without sticking to it too much. Then take 2/3rd of it and form into a boule, put on a silicone mat into cold oven and let rise for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, the rest of the dough can be formed into a pizza (I use a cookie sheet because the oven is small) and make up the pizza.

When the boule has been in the cold oven for 30 minutes, slice the top to make more crust and light up the oven and set to 180 C. Keep an eye on the bread but it should be ready after about 25 minutes. Take it out and the pizza goes in and will be finished after 30 minutes.

Now you have a very good bread and a pizza; hard to beat

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 17:04   #936

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's the Stroganov sauce as promised a while ago

1 pack fresh mushrooms
1 red bell pepper
½ green bell pepper
2 onions
1 small can tomato paste
1 Tblsp chilipowder (you may want to add more to taste)
Couple drops worchestershire sauce
Couple drops tabasco
Fresh ground pepper, zout
1 Tblsp paprikapowder
1 beef bouillon cube
1 clove garlic
small container (whipping) cream
Couple shots vodka

Sorry for the weird orderof the list; I'm on an iPad it it came from the Paprika app like that.

Saute the onions, bell pepper and mushrooms until soft, simmer it a bit after that.

Add plenty vodka, the tomato paste, grated/pressed garlic, bouillon cube and all the spices. Let simmer again.

Add plenty cream to get that right Stroganov color. Heat it to a simmer while stirring and it's finished.

We freeze what we don't immediately use in portions and eat it with beef tenderloin steaks that are 2" thick and medium rare Add rice or potato casserol and brocoli or Brussels sprouts.

Old 20-07-2015, 18:20   #937

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Did I read something about pizza dough? Here's the best of recipes for that:

1 can pilsener beer
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cups bread flour
1 tbsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp instant yeast

Throw in machine and activate standard dough program. When finished, dump contents on floured surface and fold while adding flour until it is dry enough to handle without sticking to it too much. Then take 2/3rd of it and form into a boule, put on a silicone mat into cold oven and let rise for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, the rest of the dough can be formed into a pizza (I use a cookie sheet because the oven is small) and make up the pizza.

When the boule has been in the cold oven for 30 minutes, slice the top to make more crust and light up the oven and set to 180 C. Keep an eye on the bread but it should be ready after about 25 minutes. Take it out and the pizza goes in and will be finished after 30 minutes.

Now you have a very good bread and a pizza; hard to beat
.. does this mean I can have my beer and pizza too.... such a great idea have to try it this weekend, thanks
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 19:20   #938

Quote:

1 pack fresh mushrooms
1 red bell pepper
½ green bell pepper
2 onions
1 small can tomato paste
Couple drops tabasco
1 Tblsp paprikapowder
1 beef bouillon cube
1 clove garlic
Couple shots vodka

Sorry for the weird orderof the list; I'm on an iPad it it came from the Paprika app like that.

Saute the onions, bell pepper and mushrooms until soft, simmer it a bit after that.

Add plenty vodka, the tomato paste, grated/pressed garlic, bouillon cube and all the spices. Let simmer again.

Add plenty cream to get that right Stroganov color. Heat it to a simmer while stirring and it's finished.

We freeze what we don't immediately use in portions and eat it with beef tenderloin steaks that are 2" thick and medium rare Add rice or potato casserol and brocoli or Brussels sprouts.

Vodka? Added in or for drinking shots as you make it? LOL

Ok, I know it's an ingredient butI never added vodka to stroganoff before. What do you think is the purpose? I know vodka is added to pasta sauce and is wonderful-but I'm not sure what's the flavor purpose there either, now that I think about it. Any ideas?
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 21:02   #939

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

I can think of no particular reason to add vodka to Stroganoff. I mean, it won't do it any harm, but I can't see how it will do it any good either.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 21:33   #940

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Ok, I know it's an ingredient butI never added vodka to stroganoff before. What do you think is the purpose? I know vodka is added to pasta sauce and is wonderful-but I'm not sure what's the flavor purpose there either, now that I think about it. Any ideas?
As I understand it, many flavour compounds will dissolve in fat or alcohol, but not water. When dissolved in fat, they don't evaporate as easily and we don't smell them.

A huge part of pleasure of food is actually in the smell. So if you add alcohol right at the end of cooking time (only needs a small quantity) you get more gorgeous aromas, enhancing the pleasure in the dish.

So although vodka has little flavour of its own, it can add significantly to the quality of a recipe, but needs to be added just before serving, as it evaporates otherwise and the benefits disappear.

Just my take on it .

SWL

Old 23-07-2015, 12:00   #941

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Only the alcohol part evaporates. The vodka makes a difference, there are many dishes that take alcohol, think beer, cognac, marsala, madeira, red wine, etc. Stroganov sauce needs vodka and it's superb

Old 24-07-2015, 06:18   #942

Quote:

1 pack fresh mushrooms
1 red bell pepper
½ green bell pepper
2 onions
1 small can tomato paste
Couple drops tabasco
1 Tblsp paprikapowder
1 beef bouillon cube
1 clove garlic
Couple shots vodka

This sounds like a lovely recipe. Trying to figure out what I could use instead of whipping cream to keep it vegan......... Any suggestions?
Old 24-07-2015, 23:15   #943

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This sounds like a lovely recipe. Trying to figure out what I could use instead of whipping cream to keep it vegan......... Any suggestions?
Adding coconut milk or coconut cream provides a very similar richness to dishes. It would give this Stroganoff a Thai twist, but I think it would go beautifully with the mushrooms, chilli, tomato and garlic. It would also look identical to the original recipe.

This possibility has made my mouth water and as I am hitting shops again today for the first time in a week I will see if I can find some mushrooms and give it a go. I'll report back .

Anyone know how big a Panamanian "pack of mushrooms" is? (is Nick still in Panama?)
250g or 500g or even a kilo? With two onions and a whole can of tomato paste and a tablespoon (!!!) of chilli powder in the recipe, a kilo may be about right.

SWL

Old 25-07-2015, 03:28   #944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Adding coconut milk or coconut cream provides a very similar richness to dishes. It would give this Stroganoff a Thai twist, but I think it would go beautifully with the mushrooms, chilli, tomato and garlic. It would also look identical to the original recipe.

This possibility has made my mouth water and as I am hitting shops again today for the first time in a week I will see if I can find some mushrooms and give it a go. I'll report back .

Anyone know how big a Panamanian "pack of mushrooms" is? (is Nick still in Panama?)
250g or 500g or even a kilo? With two onions and a whole can of tomato paste and a tablespoon (!!!) of chilli powder in the recipe, a kilo may be about right.

SWL
I will be interested to hear how that turns out!!
Old 25-07-2015, 17:21   #945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
As I understand it, many flavour compounds will dissolve in fat or alcohol, but not water. When dissolved in fat, they don't evaporate as easily and we don't smell them.

A huge part of pleasure of food is actually in the smell. So if you add alcohol right at the end of cooking time (only needs a small quantity) you get more gorgeous aromas, enhancing the pleasure in the dish.

So although vodka has little flavour of its own, it can add significantly to the quality of a recipe, but needs to be added just before serving, as it evaporates otherwise and the benefits disappear.

Just my take on it .

SWL

That makes so much sense!

Quote:
Only the alcohol part evaporates. The vodka makes a difference, there are many dishes that take alcohol, think beer, cognac, marsala, madeira, red wine, etc. Stroganov sauce needs vodka and it's superb

I know I enjoy many foods that use alcohol-especially vodka sauce or Marsala for pasta. I can't wait to try the vodka in my stroganoff!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote