Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2015, 14:20   #811

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Apricot jam

I had a jam making session this morning .

Summer has arrived in the Med, and along with it, stone fruit. Here in the northern part of the Aegean, most this is probably shipped from nearby Macedonia. Peaches and nectarines and apricots grow there in abundance.

Apricot jam is made yearly on board. This is my mum's recipe, but modified slightly by turning the heat off after the initial boil and allowing the mix to sit and cook on its own for an hour. This reduces the cooking time later and preserves not just the flavour, but the gorgeous bright colour. Saves on gas and steam as well .

I crack the stones in the workshop vice. Don't overdose on the kernels, as they contain cyanide. They enhance the jam by providing a subtle almond flavour.

Without added water and with less sugar than most recipes and a little lemon to provide some tartness, the flavour of this jam is intense and not too sweet. Simply delicious on hot toast, crumpets, sweet yeast loaves, scones, tortillas, croissants .........

APRICOT JAM

1.5 kg apricots, quartered (weigh after cutting)
1 kg sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
Rind 2 lemons cut in a long swirl to allow for easy removal
20 apricot kernels

- Crack the apricot stones & soak the kernels for a minute in boiling water, then squeeze off the skins.
- Combine all ingredients and leave a min of 4 hours or in cooler weather overnight, stirring occasionally. The sugar will dissolve in the apricot juice and heaps of liquid will form.
- Oil base and sides of a 3 litre cooking pot (helps to stop burning).
- Bring the mix to the boil. It will foam and rise. Turn off just before it boils over and cover.
- Let sit for an hour to allow the apricots to cook.
- Skim all the foam off the surface. It will have subsided and thickened, allowing easy removal.
- Bring to boil again and boil 12-15 min stirring frequently. There will be little to no foam and little tendency to boil over. Both don't usually reoccur following standing and then skimming.
- Meanwhile heat some glass jars in an oven to about 100° for about 10 minutes.
- Test a few drops of jam on a cold saucer at the 12 minute mark. A slight skin will form and it will run only a little when the saucer is tipped. I test every minute from then. Overcooking causes a dark overly thick jam.
- Remove rind and discard.
- Remove the jars from the oven and make sure they are no hotter than the jam (I use a laser thermometer), otherwise they will shatter when the jam is poured.
- Immediately ladle in glass jars and seal.
- Invert for 10 minutes, then cool the right side up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	103254  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 14:40   #812
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Ive been told that soymilk and Canola will make vegan Mayonnaise. Not being a Vegematic myself, I havent tried it.

I make with milk 1 part to 2 parts oil slow poured in and thickened with Lemon juice salt and garlic. Never was keen on egg mayonnaise.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 16:27   #813

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Ive been told that soymilk and Canola will make vegan Mayonnaise. Not being a Vegematic myself, I havent tried it.

I make with milk 1 part to 2 parts oil slow poured in and thickened with Lemon juice salt and garlic. Never was keen on egg mayonnaise.
That's a good basic recipe thanks. i would never use garlic in this but would add a dash of honey black pepper and of course salt.
I'll try it and report back
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 16:32   #814

Re: Apricot jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I had a jam making session this morning .

Summer has arrived in the Med, and along with it, stone fruit. Here in the northern part of the Aegean, most this is probably shipped from nearby Macedonia. Peaches and nectarines and apricots grow there in abundance.

Apricot jam is made yearly on board. This is my mum's recipe, but modified slightly by turning the heat off after the initial boil and allowing the mix to sit and cook on its own for an hour. This reduces the cooking time later and preserves not just the flavour, but the gorgeous bright colour. Saves on gas and steam as well .

I crack the stones in the workshop vice. Don't overdose on the kernels, as they contain cyanide. They enhance the jam by providing a subtle almond flavour.

Without added water and with less sugar than most recipes and a little lemon to provide some tartness, the flavour of this jam is intense and not too sweet. Simply delicious on hot toast, crumpets, sweet yeast loaves, scones, tortillas, croissants .........

APRICOT JAM

1.5 kg apricots, quartered (weigh after cutting)
1 kg sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
Rind 2 lemons cut in a long swirl to allow for easy removal
20 apricot kernels

- Crack the apricot stones & soak the kernels for a minute in boiling water, then squeeze off the skins.
- Combine all ingredients and leave a min of 4 hours or preferably overnight, stirring occasionally. The sugar will dissolve in the apricot juice and heaps of liquid will form.
- Oil base and sides of a 3 litre cooking pot (helps to stop burning).
- Bring the mix to the boil. It will foam and rise. Turn off just before it boils over and cover.
- Let sit for an hour to allow the apricots to cook.
- Skim all the foam off the surface. It will have subsided and thickened, allowing easy removal.
- Bring to boil again and boil 12-15 min stirring frequently. There will be little to no foam and little tendency to boil over. Both don't usually reoccur following standing and then skimming.
- Meanwhile heat some glass jars in an oven to about 100° for about 10 minutes.
- Test a few drops of jam on a cold saucer at the 12 minute mark. A slight skin will form and it will run only a little when the saucer is tipped. I test every minute from then. Overcooking causes a dark overly thick jam.
- Remove rind and discard.
- Remove the jars from the oven and make sure they are no hotter than the jam (I use a laser thermometer), otherwise they will shatter when the jam is poured.
- Immediately ladle in glass jars and seal.
- Invert for 10 minutes, then cool the right side up.
Please give us the whole recipe....We are all aware that this recipe appears involved and time consuming which makes me wonder how many sips of alcohol it takes to keep the the above cook working long enough to complete the jam......or maybe its shots?
Old 05-06-2015, 20:50   #815

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Please give us the whole recipe....We are all aware that this recipe appears involved and time consuming which makes me wonder how many sips of alcohol it takes to keep the the above cook working long enough to complete the jam......or maybe its shots?
LOL. I have an undeserved reputation. A sundowner of some sort (often low alcohol) is usually it for the day.

The jam recipe only looks involved, as I included all the little tips in case anyone hadn't made jam before.

The recipe is actually dead easy. I cut up the fruit while making dinner the night before and cooked it before breakfast (less than 30 min stove time):

Easy APRICOT JAM method:

- Mix all ingredients and leave overnight.
- Oil a pot, bring apricots to the boil, turn off heat and leave one hour
- Skim the foam and boil for 12-15 minutes and remove rind
- Pour into sterilised glass jars and seal

Is that more appealing?

SWL

Old 05-06-2015, 22:15   #816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
LOL. I have an undeserved reputation. A sundowner of some sort (often low alcohol) is usually it for the day.

The jam recipe only looks involved, as I included all the little tips in case anyone hadn't made jam before.

The recipe is actually dead easy. I cut up the fruit while making dinner the night before and cooked it before breakfast (less than 30 min stove time):

Easy APRICOT JAM method:

- Mix all ingredients and leave overnight.
- Oil a pot, bring apricots to the boil, turn off heat and leave one hour
- Skim the foam and boil for 12-15 minutes and remove rind
- Pour into sterilised glass jars and seal

Is that more appealing?

SWL

...yes, thank you. I may have to try your recipe apricots are starting to show at the farmers market. Right now I'm pigging out on several different kinds of cherries everyday, I eat them for breakfast snacks and dinner. They are really good this year. So are the roses. The "Impressionist" Hybrid tea rose
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11-legends 2015-04-03_10-27-42_453.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	103266  
Old 06-06-2015, 04:53   #817
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

[QUOTE=Seaworthy Lass;1841578

I rarely make mayonnaise on board, only because it is a lot of fuss when I only use it in small quantities.[/QUOTE]

I know this isn't vegan but had to post. Mayo is far from faff using this method:

In a tall container place the following ingredients in order -
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp white wine vinegar (any vinegar will do)
1 tsp lemon juice
300ml oil of your choice, I use sunflower

Place stick blender right to bottom of container, hold still and turn on, count to 12 seconds, slowly lift blender up through oil and push back down to mix oil with egg. Repeat a couple of times to ensure fully blended. Total time should be about 25 seconds with blender running constantly.

Should you be unlucky enough to end up with an unthickened semi emulsion (yuck), don't despair. Pour the mixture into another container, add another egg (at room temperature) to the original container, pour on the 'mayo' and repeat the mixing process starting with 12 seconds at the bottom of the pot before lifting to mix.

I've done quite a bit of research about fresh mayo's keeping qualities and have read lots about fermentation. After making, I leave the mayo in a covered container on the galley counter for an hour or two before putting it in the fridge, this apparently allows the fermentation process to start and improves keeping. We have used fresh mayo 5 days after making (if there's any left) with no ill effects.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:38   #818

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
I know this isn't vegan but had to post. Mayo is far from faff using this method:

1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice

Place stick blender right to bottom of container, hold still and turn on, count to 12 seconds, slowly lift blender up through oil and push back down to mix oil with egg. Repeat a couple of times to ensure fully blended. Total time should be about 25 seconds with blender running constantly.

Should you be unlucky enough to end up with an unthickened semi emulsion (yuck), don't despair. Pour the mixture into another container, add another egg (at room temperature) to the original container, pour on the 'mayo' and repeat the mixing process starting with 12 seconds at the bottom of the pot before lifting to mix.

I've done quite a bit of research about fresh mayo's keeping qualities and have read lots about fermentation. After making, I leave the mayo in a covered container on the galley counter for an hour or two before putting it in the fridge, this apparently allows the fermentation process to start and improves keeping. We have used fresh mayo 5 days after making (if there's any left) with no ill effects.
Oh, thank you .
That is so much easily than drizzling the oil in super slowly, as I have been doing.

SWL x

Old 06-06-2015, 09:02   #819

Quote:

1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice

\With all this cooking you do how do you ever find time for, "other activities"??.......perfect recipe except i use olive oil and usually two eggs. Sometimes sits in the fridg for a couple of weeks and i am still here to keep you on the straight and narrow.....a boring bath but safe.
And why isnt that vegetarian?...not vegan true but then you must be like Piglet, who eats everything in sight irregardless of meat or veggie in origin. Piglet is was a kitten that was mushed up in an engine that i rescued and after extensive surgeries she is doing fine but missing a leg, here is a pix after her ordeal with the surgeons
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stink 11-4-2011   2011-01-05_16-59-35_575.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	103279  
Old 07-06-2015, 20:51   #820

Quote:
If someone ever said that tyo me it would be the last time i ever cooked for them period!

It was just a bit of humor. If my husband ever said that to me, there would be more retribution than not cooking! LOL. Truth be told, when in port, I get coffee in bed. I do get up and cook the hot cakes. Definitely hot with butter and real maple syrup.

Though I may try them with SL's Apricot Jam! Apricots are one of my favs! These recipes are always making me hungry!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 21:45   #821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
It was just a bit of humor. If my husband ever said that to me, there would be more retribution than not cooking! LOL. Truth be told, when in port, I get coffee in bed. I do get up and cook the hot cakes. Definitely hot with butter and real maple syrup.

Though I may try them with SL's Apricot Jam! Apricots are one of my favs! These recipes are always making me hungry!
chuckle....but a good girl always does what she is told...

Yes, this thread puts out some really good recipes. I think because they are ones that people use often so are perfected not like those internet recipes posted just to get hits.
Do you use a recipe for hot cakes or do you do like I do and just throw stuff in a bowl and mix er up? When i was a kid I measured everything now i just eyeball it and in it goes. When i have to write down a recipe for someone else it is an effort to get it right using exact measurements
Old 08-06-2015, 07:07   #822
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
\With all this cooking you do how do you ever find time for, "other activities"??.......perfect recipe except i use olive oil and usually two eggs. Sometimes sits in the fridg for a couple of weeks and i am still here to keep you on the straight and narrow.....a boring bath but safe.
And why isnt that vegetarian?...not vegan true but then you must be like Piglet, who eats everything in sight irregardless of meat or veggie in origin. Piglet is was a kitten that was mushed up in an engine that i rescued and after extensive surgeries she is doing fine but missing a leg, here is a pix after her ordeal with the surgeons
Oh yes, it's vegetarian but not vegan! I find olive oil too strong for mayo, sunflower or rapeseed oils do it for us.

Poor Piglet, well done for rescuing her, does she sail with you now?
Old 08-06-2015, 18:25   #823

Quote:
Oh yes, it's vegetarian but not vegan! I find olive oil too strong for mayo, sunflower or rapeseed oils do it for us.

Poor Piglet, well done for rescuing her, does she sail with you now?
You are right about olive oil. I use it if i don't have safflower oil because there are no GMO olive trees yet. Rapeseed like corn is mostly GMO unless certified organic in the USA. Safflower has a neutral taste and can withstand higher temperatures than any other vegtable oil so its ideal for high temp frying cooking.

Piglet travels well and if I go for more than a couple of days she goes. She need to take a pill every four hours because of a condition, chylothorax.
Last december I thought she was a ready to be euthanized as she was not able to do anything and was in extreme discomfort. I took her to the vet whom recommened an ultra sound and extensive blood work so she went to the University of California Davis Campus small animal hospital. Two days there milked me for $4,000.00 for testing and then diagnosis of chytothorax. What this is is an accumulation of chyle the lymphatic fluid in the chest cavity making it very difficult for the heart and lungs to function. Anyway, they removed 180ml of fluid from her lungs and recomended i give her 750mg's rutin each day which i started to do. Within a couple of weeks she was back at the hospital and they sucked out another 100ml.
Well to make a long story short if i would have been in Canada they would not have done anything except put her on rutin a cheap herb one can buy in any natural food store. I spent almost $6,000 dollars with consultations with internist specialists for surgery in a week. They all said to correct the problem surgery was necessary which will cost $8-20,000 dollars and no guarantee of success. Here is her pix leaving the University hospital. The bottom pix is her now.

This condition of Piglets is the result of the removal of the leg. However, if i had done nothing but give her rutin she would have improved as rutin expels the chyle from the body. Here is a pix of poor Piglet ready to be discharged from the hospital after my milking of $4,000 dollars
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stink at the hospital cropped2014-12-30_18-32-38_85.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	103441   Click image for larger version

Name:	stink tonight2015-01-27_20-02-52_883small.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	103442  

Old 09-06-2015, 18:13   #824

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

Quote:
chuckle....but a good girl always does what she is told...

Do you use a recipe for hot cakes or do you do like I do and just throw stuff in a bowl and mix er up?

You better bring out this flowers, bfloyd! Somehow I seem to have a problem with directions. I always do the opposite of what I'm told! LOL!

I measure hotcakes because they end up flatcakes if I don't get the mix right! Other than that, I am a dump and taste later. Most I have done so much, I don't worry.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 18:48   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
You better bring out this flowers, bfloyd! Somehow I seem to have a problem with directions. I always do the opposite of what I'm told! LOL!

I measure hotcakes because they end up flatcakes if I don't get the mix right! Other than that, I am a dump and taste later. Most I have done so much, I don't worry.
opposite....I would have guessed that. That would definately lead to fun and games.
Yes, i do the same mess up lots and its only the baking powder amount that screws it up. This morning i made blueberry pancakes cause of you, and the fact the blueberries just were picked in the mountains yesterday and they were calling me. I used about three inches of Red Hill organic whole grain pastry flour a dash of salt and a spoon of baking power. Mixed that up then used raw whole milk with an egg whipped in to reach the proper liquidity. Oh yeah, threw in about 2.5 hands full of whole blueberries.
Served with wild pig naturally cured bacon, for the cat not me, eggs and sauteed whole mushrooms. Pancakes topped with real maple syrup.

Flowers?? Don't you mean flour...chuckle.....Of flowers i think roses are my favorite because when i see one it brings to mind a beautiful women.
And everyone knows I think all women are beautiful and men the most ugly of Gods creatures....I really can't understand what women see in men except for one thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-04-08_10-14-55_533.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	103505