Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 21:32   #691

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
N.B. There is a typing mistake in my Bhindi Masala recipe...

the cinammon stick, whole cloves & bay leaves should be fried for about 30 seconds, not 3 seconds as stated above. Doh!

If any moderator can be bothered editing the recipe I'd be obliged. I would, but I can't, apparently...
Done .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:40   #692

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Moroccan lemons

I love pickled lemons, so prompted by Avb3's mention a few posts back, making a batch seemed a good way of taking advantage of the current glut. I read half a dozen recipes yesterday and put together this combination:

MOROCCAN LEMONS (Pickled lemons)

10 lemons, washed and scrubbed clean
1 cup rock salt (not table salt)
8 cardamom pods
6 allspice berries
4 bay leaves
2 sticks cinnamon
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
Approx 2 cups lemon juice (about 8 lemons)

- Optional: To soften the rind and remove some of the bitterness soak the lemons in cold water for 3 days, changing the water daily
- Cut lemons lengthways into quarters, keeping bases intact for the last half inch
- Stuff about 3 teaspoons of salt into the centre of each lemon
- Pack the lemons firmly in a large glass jar, adding the spices as you go (my jar only fitted 7 initially, but the lemons squish down within a day, so I popped the remaining three packed just in salt in another jar and added those this morning)
- Top with leftover salt
- Pour on enough juice to almost cover (the juice will rise when the lemons compact)
- Store in a cool dark spot for 4-6 weeks
- Shake occasionally to distribute the salt and spices
- As long as these are covered in the brine, they will apparently last at least a year unrefrigerated
- To use, remove as many quarters as needed, rinse well to remove excess salt, discard the flesh and chop the rind

Recipe has been added to the index in post #1:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	100202  

Old 14-04-2015, 22:49   #693

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Cabbage & onion curry (Stolen and slightly modified from Maddhur Jaffrey)

This is an Indian curry that might not sound all that appealing, but it is, in fact, utterly delicious (and cheap as chips).

Ingredients
1 small (or ½ to 2/3 of a large) cabbage
3 medium onions
3 cloves garlic
2 green chillis, finely sliced (seeds in or out, as you prefer)
½ tsp turmeric
7 ½ tbsp vegetable oil (or ghee)
2 tomatoes (or 1 small can), peeled
1 ½ “ piece of ginger
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
½ tsp fennel seeds
1 ½ tsp cumin seeds
1 ½ tsp black mustard seeds
½ tsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp lemon juice
1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
Chopped cilantro (coriander leaves) for garnish

Method
Remove any damaged outer leaves from cabbage, quarter and remove core, and finely slice. Cut 2 onions in half and slice into thin cemi-circles. Heat 5 tbsp oil in a large heavy bottom pot (I prefer to use a large cast iron paella pan, but on board I just use a large saucepan) on a medium flame. Add the whole seeds and allow to fry for about 30 seconds (or until the seeds start to pop and sizzle) then add the 2 chopped onions. Fry, stirring, for about 3 minutes, then add the cabbage. Stir to coat the cabbage, cover, and reduce heat and allow to cook for 15 minutes. Remove lid and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes on a low heat, stirring periodically to prevent sticking .

While this is cooking, roughly chop the ginger, garlic & remaining onion and whiz these up in a blender with the tomatoes to form a paste (or pound in a mortar and pestle, or even just in a bowl with the back of a wooden spoon). Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, and add the paste, turmeric and chillis. Fry over a medium heat, stirring to prevent sticking, for about 8 - 10 minutes (add a little water if necessary to prevent sticking / burning).
When the cabbage and onions have been cooking uncovered for 30 minutes, add the fried paste mixture, stir through and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes, then add the lemon juice and garam masala. Stir and cook for a further 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat, stir through fresh cilantro, retaining a pinch for garnish.
I tried this yesterday. Yes, it is "utterly delicious" . The only things I didn't have were fennel seeds and fresh coriander. I made one addition: three peeled, cored and sliced apples were added at the end so they were barely cooked. The dish just seemed to be calling for a touch of sweetness and I think the apples were perfect (this is a common combo).

Cabbage is such a humble ingredient that it is often overlooked. I have experimented a bit more this winter with sautéed and roasted cabbage with a lot of success (recipes posted earlier - the one with ginger and coconut milk is particularly good ).

Cabbage & onion curry:
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	192
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	100477  

Old 14-04-2015, 23:13   #694

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Wow, you don't let the grass grow. Great to see the recipe being given a run. I understand what you mean about needing a bit of sweetness. For me that would come when the curry is served, by adding a dollop of either apricot chutney (my own version of traditional mango chutney, but using apricots from our tree, rather than expensive store-bought mangos), or sweet chilli sauce (not very authentic, since the curry is Indian, the chilli sauce Thai, but who's keeping score?).

Anyway, glad you enjoyed!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 23:21   #695

Onion bhaji

Ingredients:

1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
4 medium sized onions, roughly chopped
1-3 green chillis, finely chopped (vary quantity to taste. remove seeds if you want a milder experience)
1-2 tsp garlic, crushed
1-2 tsp ginger finely chopped or grated
200g (8oz) gram flour (a.k.a. "besan" flour or chickpea flour)
100g (4oz) rice Flour
½ tsp baking Powder
1 tsp garam masala
¼ tsp chilli powder (again, vary to taste)
2 tsps ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
salt and pepper to taste
water

Method

Finely chop one of the Onions and the Green Chilli. Sieve the Gram and Rice Flour into a large bowl and add the garam masala, chilli Powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Now add the finely chopped Onion and Chilli. Slowly add water, whilst stirring the mixture, until you get a thick batter. Now, coarsely chop the remaining 4 Onions and add them to the batter. Mix well, and leave to stand for 10-minutes. Heat a Deep Fat Fryer to 190C, carefully lower golf ball sized Bhaji’s, 3 or 4 at a time into the oil. Remove when crisp and brown. Note: you can use a Wok with very hot oil instead of deep fat fryer. In this instance, flatten the bhaji using a spatula when placing in the oil and fry one side completely before turning over. Serve with sweet chutney and a cucumber & mint raita.
Old 14-04-2015, 23:33   #696

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wow, you don't let the grass grow. Great to see the recipe being given a run. I understand what you mean about needing a bit of sweetness. For me that would come when the curry is served, by adding a dollop of either apricot chutney (my own version of traditional mango chutney, but using apricots from our tree, rather than expensive store-bought mangos), or sweet chilli sauce (not very authentic, since the curry is Indian, the chilli sauce Thai, but who's keeping score?).

Anyway, glad you enjoyed!
Oh, another chutney fan .
I don't think it is eaten outside of Australia, NZ, the UK and India.
There are a few good recipes here if you check the index. The banana one is yum.

I posted this recipe earlier. Try it out, it is my favourite chutney and it works brilliantly with apricots too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Peach chutney is my all time favourite. I discovered the recipe in an old New Zealand cookbook while in Invercargill (home of the World's Fastest Indian) and adapted it a little. Salmon, avocado and peach chutney sandwiches were a staple lunch for us on weekend camping trips, so the taste of this this brings back good memories.

It works equally well using nectarines and apricots too.

With peaches in season now and some fantastic produce coming down from Macedonia at rock bottom prices, I've just made four batches of this to squirrel away for the year.

PEACH CHUTNEY

3 lb stoned, chopped peaches
1 lb chopped onions
½ lb raisins or sultanas
1 heaped cup sugar
1 flat tblspn salt
4 oz crystallised ginger, sliced
1 tsp minced chilli or chilli flakes (reduce if you prefer a milder mix)
1 tblspn grated ginger
1 flat tblspn curry powder
1 cup (250 ml) apple cider vinegar
1 cup (250 ml) malt vinegar (I couldn't get malt this time, so used red wine vinegar)

- Combine all ingredients in a pressure cooker and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. The amount of liquid will increase as it comes to a boil.
- Seal and bring to pressure
- Turn off the heat and leave for an hour or so to cook on its own
- Take off the lid, bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes
- Ladle into glass jars and seal immediately
- Can be eaten as soon as it cools, but best after several weeks (still good a couple of years down the track)

If boiling conventionally, simmer the mixture for about an hour instead, using at least half a cup more vinegar, as it evaporates.

This has been added to the recipe index in post #1.

Jars cooling outside before being labelled:
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	129
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	100478  

Old 15-04-2015, 01:39   #697

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Onion bhaji

Ingredients:

1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
4 medium sized onions, roughly chopped
1-3 green chillis, finely chopped (vary quantity to taste. remove seeds if you want a milder experience)
1-2 tsp garlic, crushed
1-2 tsp ginger finely chopped or grated
200g (8oz) gram flour (a.k.a. "besan" flour or chickpea flour)
100g (4oz) rice Flour
½ tsp baking Powder
1 tsp garam masala
¼ tsp chilli powder (again, vary to taste)
2 tsps ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
salt and pepper to taste
water

Method

Finely chop one of the Onions and the Green Chilli. Sieve the Gram and Rice Flour into a large bowl and add the garam masala, chilli Powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Now add the finely chopped Onion and Chilli. Slowly add water, whilst stirring the mixture, until you get a thick batter. Now, coarsely chop the remaining 4 Onions and add them to the batter. Mix well, and leave to stand for 10-minutes. Heat a Deep Fat Fryer to 190C, carefully lower golf ball sized Bhaji’s, 3 or 4 at a time into the oil. Remove when crisp and brown. Note: you can use a Wok with very hot oil instead of deep fat fryer. In this instance, flatten the bhaji using a spatula when placing in the oil and fry one side completely before turning over. Serve with sweet chutney and a cucumber & mint raita.
Oh, I just love bhaji's . NornaBiron introduced me to them a few years ago. The version I make is more pikelet-like in consistency than yours by the sound of it though. I hadn't posted the recipe here before as it contains eggs. I am now not sure how far this is off NB's recipe as I don't have a copy of her original and I tend to play with ingredients, but the only thing that makes it significantly different to yours in that the cut onion is sprinkled with salt first and left to drain an hour. Almost a cup of bitter juices drain out, leaving the onions sweet. It also means none of those juices weep into the cooked bhajis and any leftovers are good the next day.

Here is the recipe:

2 cups gram flour
1 flat tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 beaten eggs
1 cup cold water, approx
3-4 onions, halved then sliced thinly
1 tsp ground salt
1 heaped tsp baking powder
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (or parsley)
Oil

- Sift the first 5 ingredients into a large mixing bowl
- Whisk in eggs & sufficient water to make a batter as for pikelets
- Let rest an hour
- Meanwhile sprinkle sliced onions with salt, wrap in paper towel in a colander and also leave an hour to drain
- Squeeze extra moisture out of onions & add with coriander to the batter
- Add baking powder
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into a hot non stick pan which has a splash of olive oil added
- Fry until the bhajis are golden brown then flip
- Place on paper towel while cooking rest
- Wipe pan with a paper towel to remove any small bits which will later burn and repeat
- Serve while still piping hot topped with peach chutney and mint Raita .

I like the sound of your additions of garlic and ginger and garam masala. It will try that next time.

This is a fantastic boat recipe, as all the ingredients keep for weeks unrefrigerated. When fresh supplies are running low this is a great dish to make.

SWL

Old 15-04-2015, 14:00   #698

Quote:
Caveat: Not a vegan

Weyalan's breakfast of champions (a.k.a. whats left in the pantry)

Ingredients
6 eggs
1/4 cup milk (or vegetable stock, or even water, if vegan)
2 brown onions
10 white mushrooms
1/2 an aubergine (eggplant)
1 small bunch of broccoli
1 large tomato
salt
pepper
butter (or vegetable oil, if preferred)
Sharp cheddar (optional)

Method
Finely slice the onions and saute, in oil or butter, over a low heat until semi-caramelised. Put onions into a foil tray, spread evenly.

Slice mushrooms and saute, in oil or butter, over a medium heat, until almost cooked (season with salt and pepper). Put mushrooms in foil tray on top of onions.

Finely chop half the tomato and add to the tray.

Dice aubergine and broccoli stalks and saute, over medium heat, in oil or butter, for 3 or 4 minutes, then and broccoli florets (season with salt and pepper), add to foil tray on top of mushrooms.

Whisk the eggs with the milk (or stock) and pour over the vegetables in the tray.

Finely slice the remaining half tomato and lay the slices on top of the tray.

Grate some sharp chedder on top (optional).

Bake in moderate over 30-40 mins (or until browned and eggs have set... exactly how long this will take will depend on your oven).

Serves 4.

P.S. The onions and egg is about the only constant in the above recipe. I cooked exactly that one on Monday, but have done a similar theme with whatever vegetables are on hand... previously I have used sweet-potato, capsicum and spinach for example, or mushrooms, peas, green beans and tomato. All work well.
Excellent idea! Love recipes that allow freedom of choice like Wayalan's above
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 14:05   #699

I'm troubled by this thread.....The thought that keeps popping into my head is; How could any vegan be a good lover cause humans are meat?
But I love this thread cause its about food! me favorite passtime next to boats
Old 15-04-2015, 19:40   #700

Re: Onion Bhaji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
...the only thing that makes it significantly different to yours in that the cut onion is sprinkled with salt first and left to drain an hour. Almost a cup of bitter juices drain out, leaving the onions sweet. It also means none of those juices weep into the cooked bhajis and any leftovers are good the next day...
Excellent idea!
Old 16-04-2015, 05:20   #701

Boat: Leopard 40

Made the bhindi masala last night and it was delicious! Thank you all for the new ideas and wonderful recipes
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 15:30   #702

[
I think for the first six months cruising we survived on cheese and tomato toasties .

SWL[/QUOTE]

whats a tomatoe toastie?
Cheese, good cheese is a real treat. The hill folk living in the mountains behind my farm hiding from the revenuers make really outstanding goat cheeses, wish, i could share them with contributors to this thread.
Old 16-04-2015, 18:53   #703

Aloo Mutter Gobi (spicy cauliflower and potato curry with peas)

...another non-vegan yogurt dish, sorry. I guess you could probably substitute the yogurt with a few tablespoons of coconut cream for a similar texture, albeit with a sweeter taste...

Ingredients

2 cups potatoes, diced or cubed
1" piece of ginger, chopped or grated
1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
3 cloves of garlic, chopped or crushed
2 green chillis, thinly sliced (vary quantity and / or remove seeds according to taste)
3 tbsp plain yogurt (full fat)
3 cups cauliflower, broken into small florets
2 onions, sliced
2 tbsp ghee (or oil if vegan)
2 tsp coriander powder,
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground fennel
1/2 tsp chilli powder (vary quantity to taste)
2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
2 tsp cumin seeds, dry roasted until fragrant
coriander leaves, chopped for garnish
Salt to taste.

Method

Heat the ghee or oil in a large non-stick pan, add the sliced onions and fry for 4-5 min., stirring continuously. Add the turmeric, ginger, garlic & green chilli and fry for 2 min. Make a paste of the remaining ground spices with 3-4 tbsp. of water & add it to the pan, stir and fry well for 2 minutes. Add the yogurt and stir & fry for another minute. Add the potatoes with 2 cups of water, cover the pot and allow to simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes.Add the cauliflower, cover and cook for 5 minutes, then the green peas and salt to taste, and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat, stir through the lemon or lime juice, sprinkle with cumin seeds and garnish with chopped coriander (a sprinkle of garam masala is also a nice garnish)
Old 16-04-2015, 19:00   #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
whats a tomatoe toastie?
A "toastie" is a toasted sandwich, in the above case with cheese and tomato inside, typically cooked with a dedicated sandwich-press, but on-board can be done reasonably well with a frying pan
Old 16-04-2015, 20:11   #705

Quote:
A "toastie" is a toasted sandwich, in the above case with cheese and tomato inside, typically cooked with a dedicated sandwich-press, but on-board can be done reasonably well with a frying pan
Thanks Weyalan. I think they would taste better done in the pan anyway with a bit of butter and a good spatula. I have one of those Lodge iron bacon presses that would do the job nicely but i hardly ever think to use it as the spatula is already in hand. I love that Lodge cast iron cookware it heats so evenly and the worst thing it can add to your food is a bit of iron. They are heavy but my boat pans are the smaller ones and they work out nicely. At the farm I have large ones and sometimes one goes into the fire pit filled with goodies and baked under the coals. Food cooked that way tastes so so good. You wait for the fire to burn down into coals then pile them on your Lodge oven which has a dish like lid to hold the coals. Works for about anything from bread to roasts.