Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 13:53   #676

re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Looks yum! I love cabbage rolls. Almost every nation has their own version. Here in Greece it is Dolmades. They are commonly made with cabbage leaves instead of vine leaves and are often meatless, instead filled with rice, sautéed onion, dill, parsley and pine nuts, then served with a squeeze of lemon juice. They are a popular dish at the moment, as it is Lent and they tick all the boxes when it comes to permissible food.

I must try your lentil version at some stage, but will probably add some cooked rice to the filling .

SWL
Take the plunge, go for the lentil's, you will not be disappointed. I love rice and lentils but to be honest lentils have more flavor and much more fibre and complex carbs which we all should eat more of. White rice has very little nutrient beyond simple sugars in the form of starch. Brown rice properly grown in clean soil not contaminated with manmade chemicals is so far superior to conventional rice in nutrients and taste that once you have been there you will never go back.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 13:55   #677

hey everyone
a bit off topic but i wanted to wish everyone a wonderful, safe, cozy Happy Easter!!
and God bless you all
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 20:22   #678

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

Thank you bfloyd! Same to you and all!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:52   #679

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
hey everyone
a bit off topic but i wanted to wish everyone a wonderful, safe, cozy Happy Easter!!
and God bless you all
Thanks Britt. Hope you had a lovely Easter.
Here in Greece Easter Bunny does not come until Sunday 12th this year, so Easter celebrations are yet to come .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Last night, I had little in the fridge and had a major craving for greens. So, I used what I had and it was delicious.

Cannellini Beans with Greens
I think sautéing greens with garlic (and onion) is the nicest way of serving them. Your recipe is very similar to the one I posted recently seasoned with sumac. I bought a bagful of lovely fresh greens of some sort yesterday and followed your lead with adding beans - in this case a tin of drained and rinsed red kidney beans. It was a delicious meal!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:31   #680

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Vanilla extract

We are now anchored off a magic little port - densely packed whitewashed cube homes with meandering stone paved streets, some barely wide enough for two people to pass. The tiny luxury specialty stores cater to upmarket tourists in summer and I was thrilled to discover a place selling vanilla bean pods had just opened for the season. The find and the whole experience of being there must have made me light up, as the next storekeeper peered long and hard at me before smiling and saying joy was radiating from me . Cruisers are so easy to please .

I mixed up a batch and a half of vanilla extract as soon as I was back on board (based on the recipe NornaBiron posted earlier) and I threw in the tiny amount I made earlier that has already been soaking two weeks. The smell of vanilla baking is one of my favourite things and this should hopefully give me about a year's supply of premium extract .

VANILLA EXTRACT

8 vanilla beans (recipes used anywhere from 3 to 9)
1 cup 35-40% vodka (or gin, bourbon, rum or brandy)

- With a sharp knife split the vanilla pods, scrape out the seeds, finely slice the pods and put it all in a jar or bottle
- Add the alcohol
- Give the bottle a few good shakes and store in a cool dark place
- Shake occasionally
- The extract is should be ready in about two months (apparently improves a little if aged even longer)
- Strain and filter with a coffee filter.

Photo taken after only a day of soaking - it will darken. More wildflowers as well. These daisies are growing everywhere in great profusion:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	100126  

Old 08-04-2015, 18:17   #681

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
grapefruit marmalade?.... Must have missed that one...I've never liked marmalade but i love grapefruit.

I missed it too but love grapefruits! I buy a marmalade that is not as sweet as most. But I have never made it. Grapefruit Marmalade would be amazing! Did we find the recipe?

Quote:

I think sautéing greens with garlic (and onion) is the nicest way of serving them. Your recipe is very similar to the one I posted recently seasoned with sumac. I bought a bagful of lovely fresh greens of some sort yesterday and followed your lead with adding beans - in this case a tin of drained and rinsed red kidney beans. It was a delicious meal!

I do remember reading the recipe with sumac :dunce: (but didn't see it on the index since it was so recent). I've heard so much about them recently too. We had poison sumac where I lived growing up and I worked hard to avoid it-so this as a spice is new to me! I am going to see if I can find it somewhere Can't wait!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 19:13   #682

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Caveat: Not a vegan

Weyalan's breakfast of champions (a.k.a. whats left in the pantry)

Ingredients
6 eggs
1/4 cup milk (or vegetable stock, or even water, if vegan)
2 brown onions
10 white mushrooms
1/2 an aubergine (eggplant)
1 small bunch of broccoli
1 large tomato
salt
pepper
butter (or vegetable oil, if preferred)
Sharp cheddar (optional)

Method
Finely slice the onions and saute, in oil or butter, over a low heat until semi-caramelised. Put onions into a foil tray, spread evenly.

Slice mushrooms and saute, in oil or butter, over a medium heat, until almost cooked (season with salt and pepper). Put mushrooms in foil tray on top of onions.

Finely chop half the tomato and add to the tray.

Dice aubergine and broccoli stalks and saute, over medium heat, in oil or butter, for 3 or 4 minutes, then and broccoli florets (season with salt and pepper), add to foil tray on top of mushrooms.

Whisk the eggs with the milk (or stock) and pour over the vegetables in the tray.

Finely slice the remaining half tomato and lay the slices on top of the tray.

Grate some sharp chedder on top (optional).

Bake in moderate over 30-40 mins (or until browned and eggs have set... exactly how long this will take will depend on your oven).

Serves 4.

P.S. The onions and egg is about the only constant in the above recipe. I cooked exactly that one on Monday, but have done a similar theme with whatever vegetables are on hand... previously I have used sweet-potato, capsicum and spinach for example, or mushrooms, peas, green beans and tomato. All work well.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 20:00   #683

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I do remember reading the recipe with sumac :dunce: (but didn't see it on the index since it was so recent). I've heard so much about them recently too. We had poison sumac where I lived growing up and I worked hard to avoid it-so this as a spice is new to me! I am going to see if I can find it somewhere Can't wait!
I need to go and add a note to the 'Greens with sumac' recipe (post #627), that the sumac plant that produces red berries which are ground into a spice is not the same species as poison sumac, which has white berries and is related to poison ivy and poison oak.
Maybe I should make it a big warning, in case someone decides to go and dry and grind the white berries!!!

Quote:
I missed it too but love grapefruits! I buy a marmalade that is not as sweet as most. But I have never made it. Grapefruit Marmalade would be amazing! Did we find the recipe?
My recipe for Mandarin & ruby grapefruit marmalade was back in #531. It is absolutely heavenly. Of all the recipes I have posted, this is the one that I think would make it into any gourmet magazine. In my opinion, marmalade doesn't get any better than this .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	100154  

Old 08-04-2015, 20:15   #684

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Caveat: Not a vegan

Weyalan's breakfast of champions (a.k.a. whats left in the pantry)

Ingredients
6 eggs
1/4 cup milk (or vegetable stock, or even water, if vegan)
2 brown onions
10 white mushrooms
1/2 an aubergine (eggplant)
1 small bunch of broccoli
1 large tomato
salt
pepper
butter (or vegetable oil, if preferred)
Sharp cheddar (optional)
Hi Weyalan
That adaptable recipe is a perfect boat one! I make a version of this pastry-less tart in a lined shallow rectangular dish, but always throw in cooked sliced potatoes and often a tin of salmon. If there are any leftovers, it is good cold too. Served with a salad it makes an easy lunch when unexpected guests dinghy over.

You will be surprised to hear you are often thought of on board . Several years ago you posted a recipe for sweet chilli sauce and I have made this several times now.

I will see if I can dig up your original and I'll post it here. It is worth duplicating.

SWL

Old 08-04-2015, 20:31   #685

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I will see if I can dig up your original and I'll post it here. It is worth duplicating.
Bingo! I found the recipe posted way back in 2012. This is fantastic:

SWEET CHILLI SAUCE

Quote:
I make my own sweet chilli sauce using whatever types of chillis I can get (mostly home grown).
Ingredients
1 kg chillis, roughly chopped
150g garlic, roughly chopped
100g ginger, roughly chopped
20g salt
1 litre vinegar
1 kg sugar

Method
Whiz dry ingredients in a blender (if you don't have access to a blender, just chop them finer to start with)
Put in large pot with the vinegar
Bring to the boil
Reduce heat to low simmer, add sugar
Simmer 1 hour
Bottle into pre-heated bottles, sealing immedidately to create vacuum seal. As long as the lids "pop down", this sauce will last, unrefrigerated, for a year or more (in theory... mine just seems to disappear)

You can adjust the hotness several ways. Using some capsicum (bell peppers) instead of some of the chillis gives a milder sauce. Leaving some of the seeds in the chillis will make the sauce hotter. Using milder (jalapeno) or hotter (habanero or thai birds eye) chillis as well. Traditionally, this sauce would be made using red chillis, but a mix of red and green actually works well too, giving a slightly different flavor.

Also, you can adjust the "balance" of the sauce by adjusting the ratio of vinegar to sugar... the 1 litre / 1 kg is a reasonable starting point... get to about half-way through the simmering stage and then add more vinegar or sugar to your own tastes.

Old 08-04-2015, 20:48   #686

I'm very happy that the recipe has been tried and liked
I may have to post here more often!
Old 08-04-2015, 20:55   #687

Bhindi Masala (Bhindi = Okra / gumbo / lady's fingers. Masala = "curry")

Ingredients

1 lb bhindi (okra), stalks removed and chopped into 1" pieces
3 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 large onions, finely chopped
3-4 green chillies, chopped (vary quantity according to taste)
2" stick of cinnamon
4-5 whole cloves
2-3 bay leaves
1" piece of ginger, grated
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp chilli powder (vary quantity more or less according to taste)
1-1/2 cups vegetable oil or ghee (ghee = clarified butter)
1-2 tsp garam masala
Cilantro (coriander) leaves for garnishing
Salt to taste

Method

In a large deep frying pan (I use a wok), heat the oil over a medium/high heat and deep fry the bhindi pieces (it is easiest to do this in batches, rather than all at once). Remove fried bhindi and place on kitchen paper to remove excess oil. Retain 3 tablespoons of the oil and fry cinammon, cloves & bay leaves over a medium heat for about 3 30 seconds.Add onions, green chilli pieces and fry them until onions turn light brown. Add the ginger & garlic and fry for one minute. Reduce heat slightly & add tomato pieces, red chilli powder and salt, cover the pan and cook for a few minutes until tomatoes become soft, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Add fried bhindi and mix slowly. Fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.

The above recipe is a fairly Indian typical dish given to me by a Sikh guy from the Punjab region. I like it.
Old 08-04-2015, 21:13   #688

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm very happy that the recipe has been tried and liked
I may have to post here more often!
Yes please!

New recipes are always fun to try and good food and drinks add so much to quality of life .

For many of us, cooking on board is restricted by lack of constant refrigeration, lack of electrical appliances, lack of space and lack of variety of cooking utensils. In addition often cruisers only have a small gas oven with two burners and the oven may burn at just one temperature. Couple that with relying heavily on ingredients that store well longterm and are readily available (if isolated spots are preferred it can sometimes be weeks between grocery store visits), and cooking on board can be really daunting when first starting out.

I think for the first six months cruising we survived on cheese and tomato toasties .

SWL

Old 08-04-2015, 21:26   #689

Cabbage & onion curry (Stolen and slightly modified from Maddhur Jaffrey)

This is an Indian curry that might not sound all that appealing, but it is, in fact, utterly delicious (and cheap as chips).

Ingredients
1 small (or ½ to 2/3 of a large) cabbage
3 medium onions
3 cloves garlic
2 green chillis, finely sliced (seeds in or out, as you prefer)
½ tsp turmeric
7 ½ tbsp vegetable oil (or ghee)
2 tomatoes (or 1 small can), peeled
1 ½ “ piece of ginger
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
½ tsp fennel seeds
1 ½ tsp cumin seeds
1 ½ tsp black mustard seeds
½ tsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp lemon juice
1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
Chopped cilantro (coriander leaves) for garnish

Method
Remove any damaged outer leaves from cabbage, quarter and remove core, and finely slice. Cut 2 onions in half and slice into thin cemi-circles. Heat 5 tbsp oil in a large heavy bottom pot (I prefer to use a large cast iron paella pan, but on board I just use a large saucepan) on a medium flame. Add the whole seeds and allow to fry for about 30 seconds (or until the seeds start to pop and sizzle) then add the 2 chopped onions. Fry, stirring, for about 3 minutes, then add the cabbage. Stir to coat the cabbage, cover, and reduce heat and allow to cook for 15 minutes. Remove lid and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes on a low heat, stirring periodically to prevent sticking .

While this is cooking, roughly chop the ginger, garlic & remaining onion and whiz these up in a blender with the tomatoes to form a paste (or pound in a mortar and pestle, or even just in a bowl with the back of a wooden spoon). Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, and add the paste, turmeric and chillis. Fry over a medium heat, stirring to prevent sticking, for about 8 - 10 minutes (add a little water if necessary to prevent sticking / burning).
When the cabbage and onions have been cooking uncovered for 30 minutes, add the fried paste mixture, stir through and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes, then add the lemon juice and garam masala. Stir and cook for a further 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat, stir through fresh cilantro, retaining a pinch for garnish.
Old 08-04-2015, 21:29   #690

N.B. There is a typing mistake in my Bhindi Masala recipe...

the cinammon stick, whole cloves & bay leaves should be fried for about 30 seconds, not 3 seconds as stated above. Doh!

If any moderator can be bothered editing the recipe I'd be obliged. I would, but I can't, apparently...