Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 06:46   #586

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

No need for any arguments - each to his own. Pure maple syrup can easily be substituted if anyone doesn't wish to consume honey. It is not a deal breaker in any of the recipes .

I am just trying out a batch of roasted sweet potato with sage "butter" minus the butter and I'll report back.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:05   #587

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Hey folks; chicken, butter, cheese....? Please stop hijacking this thread with non-vegan recipes. Start another thread, if you want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Thread drift occurs naturally in any thread. Also, with few exceptions the minimal amount of dairy used in the occasional recipe here is only an optional additive and can easily be substituted or omitted.

I think even in the burnt sage butter recipe, extra virgin olive oil could be used. In fact I'll try it and report back. Without doubt it will alter the character, but I bet it will still be an excellent dish. The sage will still crispen identically and provide that same hit of wonderful flavour.
As promised, I am trying roasted sweet potato with 'burnt sage butter' without the butter.

No orange sweet potato is available at the moment, so I am using white.

The vegan sage 'butter' was made by gently heating about 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and adding a big handful of fresh young sage leaves, then turning off the heat and leaving the flavour to infuse the oil while the sweet potato was roasting. Once the potatoes were done, I heated up the oil again and stirred the leaves continually, essentially frying them until they were crispy and melted in the mouth (about 3 min).
Arrange the sweet potato on a dish and spoon on the sage 'butter'.

Is it as good as it is when using butter? No, but it is still damn good . A great alternative for vegans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	98436  

Old 07-03-2015, 14:59   #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Sounds good.

Regarding honey being vegan........we've been there, several pages of posts back, I'll just reiterate what the Vegan Society (they're the ones who originally defined veganism) says, that honey is NOT a vegan food.
Yep, I think I was responsibil for the earlier posting as well. I apologize.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:26   #589
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Yep, I think I was responsibil for the earlier posting as well. I apologize.
No apology required.

On this thread we represent the two sides of the honey debate that has been raging for years!

Now, I'm off for a honey cured, back bacon sandwich made with bleached flour white bread and real butter!
Old 09-03-2015, 16:42   #590

Quote:
As promised, I am trying roasted sweet potato with 'burnt sage butter' without the butter.

No orange sweet potato is available at the moment, so I am using white.

The vegan sage 'butter' was made by gently heating about 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and adding a big handful of fresh young sage leaves, then turning off the heat and leaving the flavour to infuse the oil while the sweet potato was roasting. Once the potatoes were done, I heated up the oil again and stirred the leaves continually, essentially frying them until they were crispy and melted in the mouth (about 3 min).
Arrange the sweet potato on a dish and spoon on the sage 'butter'.

Is it as good as it is when using butter? No, but it is still damn good . A great alternative for vegans.
Just ate some fresh picked asparagus spears sauteed in olive oil and a dash of salt and its better than with butter and i love butter. I often use sweet potatoes partially cooked in the microwave then sliced and sauteed with olive oil, rosemary, thyme or just the oil all are outstanding. Does anyone know of anyway to cook a sweet tatter that isn't good?
To me sweet taters, asparagus, green tomatoes,leeks, most things like this are better with olive oil which dosent mask some of the delicate flavors.
That said i can eat a pound of butter all runny on a loaf of bread fresh out of the oven....No butter i eat only one slice......blushing smile
Old 09-03-2015, 16:45   #591

Quote:
No apology required.

On this thread we represent the two sides of the honey debate that has been raging for years!

Now, I'm off for a honey cured, back bacon sandwich made with bleached flour white bread and real butter!
......that sounds just too decadent and may not be safe, maybe I should taste it first t be sure it is ok????
Old 09-03-2015, 16:49   #592

This thread is makin me huge!......to many good ideas I just have to try. I make a motion we skip the food part of this thread and just concentrate on the Lover part for the sake of our waist lines. Anyone second this motin?
Old 09-03-2015, 18:44   #593

Ok bfloyd. Here is a low calorie recipe (Yep, I'm sticking with the recipes &#128124

Wild Rice Salad with Radicchio, Apricots, and Walnuts

1 cup wild rice *
1 clove garlic, grated or minced very finely
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper
1/2 head (1/3 pound) radicchio, sliced into thin ribbons
1/2 cup sliced dried or fresh apricots
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs or greens (such as parsley, watercress, spinach)

Directions:
1. Cook rice according to package instructions. Let cool.
2. Make dressing by whisking together garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
3. When rice is cool, toss with remaining ingredients and dressing. Serve at room temperature.

* If you have trouble finding wild rice you can substitute quinoa or another grain like barley

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1425951869.696749.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	98604
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 18:53   #594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Ok bfloyd. Here is a low calorie recipe (Yep, I'm sticking with the recipes &#128124

1 cup wild rice *
1 clove garlic, grated or minced very finely
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper
1/2 head (1/3 pound) radicchio, sliced into thin ribbons
1/2 cup sliced dried or fresh apricots
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs or greens (such as parsley, watercress, spinach)

Directions:
1. Cook rice according to package instructions. Let cool.
2. Make dressing by whisking together garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
3. When rice is cool, toss with remaining ingredients and dressing. Serve at room temperature.

* If you have trouble finding wild rice you can substitute quinoa or another grain like barley

Attachment 98604

Don't know what Radicchiois but that recipe looks so good it dosent matter I'll eat it what ever it is.........
Old 10-03-2015, 00:52   #595
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
......that sounds just too decadent and may not be safe, maybe I should taste it first t be sure it is ok????
Well, I'm still here so it was obviously okay! Our bacon store is rapidly diminishing, our visitors ate some of what they brought, got to wait to get back to Greece to get more :-(

Oh well, back to the chickpeas :-)
Old 10-03-2015, 01:26   #596

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Attachment 98604
Sailor G, that looks fantastic! Just my kind of salad. Definitely one I will make the next time I find raddichio. I know the peppery bite from this will go beautifully with the apricots and walnuts. I have lots of wild rice on board just waiting to be used .

The addition of some chickpeas in your recipe would make this a pretty complete meal.

My cravings for soup have disappeared overnight, just as if a switch has been flicked . A few 19°C days and my mind is turning to hearty, colourful salads.

SWL

Old 10-03-2015, 16:57   #597

Quote:
Well, I'm still here so it was obviously okay! Our bacon store is rapidly diminishing, our visitors ate some of what they brought, got to wait to get back to Greece to get more :-(

Oh well, back to the chickpeas :-)
Although I love chickpeas I do not reccomend them....
The title of this thread is vegans makes better lovers.
But from the evidence gathered in this thread it appears that you can leave the lover part out cause all that seems to be going on is eating! I think this happens cause it takes lots of carrots to get the calories needed from vegan sources......Me I'm more inclined towards higher calorie foods to give me the energy to play around a bit...I mean after all where would the world be without sex?
Old 10-03-2015, 20:36   #598

Quote:
Definitely one I will make the next time I find raddichio. I know the peppery bite from this will go beautifully with the apricots and walnuts. I have lots of wild rice on board just waiting to be used .

The addition of some chickpeas in your recipe would make this a pretty complete meal.

SWL

Chickpeas would be great. I love them in salads. It would definitely add the protein.

If you can't find raddichio, maybe you could use a different bitter green you can find. I love arugula, beet, turnip or mustard greens, kale, endive, frisée or even just cabbage instead. When at sea or going to new ports, it can be tough. I remember finding Romaine and thinking I found gold!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 00:17   #599

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I remember finding Romaine and thinking I found gold!
I got all excited finding alfalfa seeds the other day . When I walk into supermarkets on my trips back home I am like a kid in a lolly shop .

SWL

Old 11-03-2015, 01:40   #600
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I got all excited finding alfalfa seeds the other day . When I walk into supermarkets on my trips back home I am like a kid in a lolly shop .

SWL
If you find you need some sprouts try lentils, they are delicious, slighty peppery, a great addition to salads.