Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 26-02-2015, 19:30   #571

Re: Cream of broccoli soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

PS Don't discard the thick stem of the broccoli. Cut away the tough outer layer and you will find the core of this is the sweetest most tender part of the head. I usually munch this raw (same goes with cauliflower).

The soup sounds good. It's cool and rainy here this weekend. I haven't made Cream of Broccoli in a long time. Can't wait to try your version.

The stems are my favorite. I prefer the stems to the head because of the texture.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 09:05   #572

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Cauliflower roasted with Buffalo chilli sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Buffalo Cauliflower:

1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter (leave out for vegan or use vegan butter)
1/4 cup hot sauce, such as Frank's
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt
8 cups cauliflower florets (from about 1 medium head

Microwave the butter in a small microwave-safe bowl on high until melted. Whisk in the hot sauce and lemon juice and set aside.

Mix 1/2 cup water, olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the cauliflower and toss until well coated. Spread the cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until beginning to brown and just tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Whisk the hot sauce mixture again, drizzle over the cauliflower and toss with tongs to coat. Roast the cauliflower until the sauce is bubbling and browned around the edges, 5 to 7 minutes more. Serve hot.
Wonders never cease . I never expected to see any 'Franks' sauce here in the Greek islands, but guess what I spotted in one of the little specialty stores here catering for summer visitors? Yep, a bottle of Franks. It was the 'Extra Hot' version, but better than nothing. The above recipe immediately sprung to mind and I made a beeline to the veggie store to buy some cauliflower.

I omitted the butter and made this a vegan version (and I took a few shortcuts ). I thought it needed dressing up before being served, so I drizzled on some sweet chilli sauce and this married beautifully.

Definitely a recipe I will be making again. Thanks Sailor g .

CAULIFLOWER ROASTED WITH BUFFALO CHILLI SAUCE

1 head cauliflower, cut into flowerets
Freshly ground salt
Sweet chilli sauce for drizzling

Buffalo sauce:
1 tablespoon Franks 'Extra Hot' hot sauce or Tabasco
(If using Franks 'Original' hot sauce I would try ¼ cup, as Sg suggested)
1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

- Whisk the sauce ingredients together
- Dip the heads of the flowerets in the sauce (dipping allows the sauce to penetrate better and is easier done cold)
- Place on a baking sheet lined baking tray
- Roast 15 minutes in a moderately hot oven and turn
- Roast another 10 minutes.
- Grind a little salt over
- Serve drizzled with sweet chilli sauce

This photo taken before the sweet chilli sauce was added. I should have taken another photo after as it looked so much better, but the aroma was way too good and someone was clamouring to be fed :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	98065  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 19:23   #573

re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I can't wait to try your version. I love sweet heat of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce and so can't wait to try this version.

This was the first time I roasted cauliflower (roasting works well with onion, peppers, tomatoes, etc) but the cauliflower was a bit rubbery. I sprayed it with a touch of olive oil before roasting. I don't know if it was something I did, or if it is normal? Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-03-2015, 21:50   #574

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This was the first time I roasted cauliflower (roasting works well with onion, peppers, tomatoes, etc) but the cauliflower was a bit rubbery. I sprayed it with a touch of olive oil before roasting. I don't know if it was something I did, or if it is normal? Does anyone have any ideas?
I haven't come across this before. I can only suggest maybe the cauli was not a really fresh one . If it is undercooked it is just crunchy, not rubbery and if it is overcooked it goes soft, as with boiling.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:04   #575

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

I am on a cauliflower roll. This is a recipe I saw on a show called How to Live to 100 and haven't tried it-but it looks so good! And it is so good for you.

Alu Gobhi

3 to 4 tablespoons coconut oil (any oil with a high smoke point will do)
1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoons tomato puree
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
3 teaspoons salt
1 medium head cauliflower, cut into 2-inch florets
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 to 4 pinches cayenne
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. When hot, add the cumin.
3. As soon as the seeds begin to pop, stir in the tomato puree and cook for 30 seconds.
4. Stir in the potatoes and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt
5. reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until the outer layer of the potato is cooked, 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Add the cauliflower, ginger, coriander, turmeric, cayenne and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and stir it all together without damaging the florets.
7. Cover & cook until the cauliflower is tender, 15 to 20 minutes
8. adding 1/2 cup of the cilantro during the final minutes of cooking.

Serve garnished with the remaining 1/2 cup cilantro.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:09   #576

Quote:
I haven't come across this before. I can only suggest maybe the cauli was not a really fresh one . If it is undercooked it is just crunchy, not rubbery and if it is overcooked it goes soft, as with boiling.

It was actually super fresh from a local farmer's market. I just realized it is a convection oven that I used so may need to cut the time. Next time, I will try baking it a bit less. Oops!
Old 02-03-2015, 17:26   #577

Quote:
The soup sounds good. It's cool and rainy here this weekend. I haven't made Cream of Broccoli in a long time. Can't wait to try your version.

The stems are my favorite. I prefer the stems to the head because of the texture.
you tree crunchers don't know how to cook.....grrrr.......The center of the stalk is very tender and has a fine flavor but the tougher outer part is even better if steamed or sauteed ed for a bit. Broccoli and Cauliflower are both tops when prepared properly. Broccoli makes a killer soup in about two minutes of prep and a few minutes of cooking time. Just chop up a few stems that you normally through away and put them in a pot with some chopped up potatoes with the skin on and add water to cover. Cook for a few minutes then taste and add salt and pepper to taste. When the tatters and stalks mush up easy taste and add salt pepper to taste then jack cheese and chopped Broccoli flowers. Great with or without cheese potatoes starch will thicken soup nicely the trick is to only add enough water to achieve the thickness desired.
Sounds to simple to be good but once made you it will become one of your ace in the hole recipes. You can tweak the recipe with what ever you like

Enjoy me swabbies < you know limey sailor types>.........I'm mostly limey. Guess that's why I can't seem to get very far from the sea..or grog<smile>.................
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 18:39   #578

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
you tree crunchers don't know how to cook...<smile>

LOL! I have never been called a tree cruncher Sounds like a beetle 🐞that attacks Pines. I love the term.

I also love your recipe -it's so quick and sounds wonderful. Something you can put together when you need a warm meal at the end of a long day.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2015, 20:20   #579

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
When the tatters and stalks mush up easy taste and add salt pepper to taste then jack cheese and chopped Broccoli flowers. Great with or without cheese
You are braver than I am. I wasn't game to say that grated cheese went really well with broccoli .

Old 03-03-2015, 18:08   #580

Quote:
LOL! I have never been called a tree cruncher Sounds like a beetle 🐞that attacks Pines. I love the term.

I also love your recipe -it's so quick and sounds wonderful. Something you can put together when you need a warm meal at the end of a long day.

Thanks!
Your welcome.
Yes it is a good recipe for a fast filling creamy tasting soup. I save some of the tatter chunks till i have the soup the right thickness then i put them in to cook and add chunkyness. The recipe can be used to build most any kind of soup. You can cheat and add shellfish like oysters.......Shhh...Don't tell Sassy Lassie what I said<smile>......but Brocolli i think is my favorite ...you can actually make a slightly different soup from the stock to suit each of your dinner guests with little extra effort and really blow them away.
I've learned to cook tasty dishes in a jiffy without using packaged stuff or starve. I just don't trust mixes or most packaged foods so I have had to invent ways to get mix, package, results from scratch.
Old 03-03-2015, 18:10   #581

Quote:
You are braver than I am. I wasn't game to say that grated cheese went really well with broccoli .
chuckle....I did even worse in my last post < horns not of a Viking>
opps, I'm not supposed to tell you
Old 06-03-2015, 10:30   #582
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

We caught a tuna the other day and vacuum sealed it until today (we had non fish eating guests on board) when I cooked it in teriyaki sauce. The sauce will go just as well with vegetables, tofu or chickpeas.

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp garlic powder (or a small clove of garlic, crushed)
5 tbsp brown sugar (I think I'll reduce this next time)
Splodge of honey (omit if you are strict vegan)

Put above ingredients into a saucepan and bring to simmer until all is dissolved.

Add:
2 tbsp cornflour mixed with cold water

Stir until thickened.

Cool and use as required or add vegetables/tofu/pulses to heat through.

Wonderful on egg fried rice (I know, that's not vegan either!)
Old 06-03-2015, 18:35   #583

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
We caught a tuna the other day and vacuum sealed it until today (we had non fish eating guests on board) when I cooked it in teriyaki sauce. The sauce will go just as well with vegetables, tofu or chickpeas.

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp garlic powder (or a small clove of garlic, crushed)
5 tbsp brown sugar (I think I'll reduce this next time)
Splodge of honey (omit if you are strict vegan)

Put above ingredients into a saucepan and bring to simmer until all is dissolved.

Add:
2 tbsp cornflour mixed with cold water

Stir until thickened.

Cool and use as required or add vegetables/tofu/pulses to heat through.

Wonderful on egg fried rice (I know, that's not vegan either!)
I use almost the same recipe for tuna and stripped bass and other fish that i marinate. I don't use brown sugar. i use a special mountain wildflower honey we harvest from the Sierra Nevada Mountains at the 5500 foot elevation that has an almost molassas component. I use fresh ground ginger no garlic but either mountain misery or a bit of rosemary and black pepper. I never do exact measurements i mix taste then adjust taste till i get it right. Yoiu want the sauce runny but thick enough to coat the fish. I then vacum seal and let sit for a bit in the fridge before cooking fish. Sometimes the fish is cut into small cubes and tossed into a hot wok or cast iron fry pan with a bit of olive oil, bean sprouts, bok toy, mushrooms with anything else that is available and sounds good and the marinate.

I havent done this in a coons age and I have some nice ling cod that will go great in this recipe! Thanks for reminding me

Hey, honey is vegan and i can prove it. Honey is made from 100% nectar or honeydo which is 20-35% water gathered from plants by bees then stored in comb and remove water until the level drops to 14-18%. At that point it is no longer nectar but honey and the comb is capped to be used on a rainy day or stolen by a beekeeper like me...te..he
The bees add nothing to the nectar and simply remove moisture until it becomes honey. Bees are equipped with two different receptacles for transporting pollen and honey. Pollen is transported in a pollen basket located on their hind legs. Note: pollen baskets are tools designed for labor so will never be found on or near a male bee unless it is attached to a female<worker> bee. Male bees are not required to preform any labor whats so ever. Labor, work, in a bees world is strictly a female thing<smile.....aint that great?>.
The nectar is also transported in a special receptacle which can expand to occupy most of the bees abdomen. This honey stomach is accessed via the proventriculus a special muscular structure with teeth like fingers that intertwine and lock to insure no other substance can enter the honey stomach except nectar. The teeth like mouth does the same job as baleen, whale bone, in Baleen whales to filter the nectar insuring its purity by locking out all particles, pollen, and other detritus that may try to force its way in.
If anyone has questions please feel free to pm me so i don't end up diverging from thread subject
Old 07-03-2015, 04:26   #584
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I use almost the same recipe for tuna and stripped bass and other fish that i marinate. I don't use brown sugar. i use a special mountain wildflower honey we harvest from the Sierra Nevada Mountains at the 5500 foot elevation that has an almost molassas component. I use fresh ground ginger no garlic but either mountain misery or a bit of rosemary and black pepper. I never do exact measurements i mix taste then adjust taste till i get it right. Yoiu want the sauce runny but thick enough to coat the fish. I then vacum seal and let sit for a bit in the fridge before cooking fish. Sometimes the fish is cut into small cubes and tossed into a hot wok or cast iron fry pan with a bit of olive oil, bean sprouts, bok toy, mushrooms with anything else that is available and sounds good and the marinate.

I havent done this in a coons age and I have some nice ling cod that will go great in this recipe! Thanks for reminding me

Hey, honey is vegan and i can prove it. Honey is made from 100% nectar or honeydo which is 20-35% water gathered from plants by bees then stored in comb and remove water until the level drops to 14-18%. At that point it is no longer nectar but honey and the comb is capped to be used on a rainy day or stolen by a beekeeper like me...te..he
The bees add nothing to the nectar and simply remove moisture until it becomes honey. Bees are equipped with two different receptacles for transporting pollen and honey. Pollen is transported in a pollen basket located on their hind legs. Note: pollen baskets are tools designed for labor so will never be found on or near a male bee unless it is attached to a female<worker> bee. Male bees are not required to preform any labor whats so ever. Labor, work, in a bees world is strictly a female thing<smile.....aint that great?>.
The nectar is also transported in a special receptacle which can expand to occupy most of the bees abdomen. This honey stomach is accessed via the proventriculus a special muscular structure with teeth like fingers that intertwine and lock to insure no other substance can enter the honey stomach except nectar. The teeth like mouth does the same job as baleen, whale bone, in Baleen whales to filter the nectar insuring its purity by locking out all particles, pollen, and other detritus that may try to force its way in.
If anyone has questions please feel free to pm me so i don't end up diverging from thread subject
Sounds good.

Regarding honey being vegan........we've been there, several pages of posts back, I'll just reiterate what the Vegan Society (they're the ones who originally defined veganism) says, that honey is NOT a vegan food.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:09   #585
Marine Service Provider

It's a debate neither of us are going to win, Britt, we both have good arguments on our sides. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one and let everyone else make up their own minds ;-)

Steph