Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 04:09   #526

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Not Vegan.

Fresh tuna. Sear on each side for 2 minutes.

Let stand for 5 minutes.

Slice thinly.

Fine grate garlic and ginger. Mix with Ponzu Soy sauce.

Pour over Tuna.

Best ever Tuna dish.
Oh, my
Try rolling the tuna in black sesame seeds before searing. Yum......
Add some wasabi to that and there is not much a lassie would refuse you .

Roast veggies are not all I miss while cruising. I overdose on fresh tuna and salmon on each infrequent visit back to Australia. Sushi and sashimi particularly.

Plain mean of you bringing up images of tuna treats .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:16   #527
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

You mean like this?

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:29   #528

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, oh.
Black sesame seeds AND wasabi AND edamame.
Men stop at nothing

Old 10-12-2014, 23:10   #529
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One of my favourite salads..

This can be vegetarian or non depending on ingredients.

Plate lettuce of choice. Take vine ripened tomatoes and slice thinly. Place around edge of plate. Add slices of goats cheese, Add a few walnuts. Add a few Sultanas,
Reduce Balsamic vinegar in pan. When thickened, gently dribble over tomatoes.
Add slices of freshly cooked bacon to the salad.
Pour a glass of white or red wine.
Enjoy.

Variants on this include adding beetroot or using spinach leaves.....

Old 11-12-2014, 00:38   #530
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Oh, roasted squash with herb and yam stuffing sounds just lovely. My mouth is watering . I roasted most weekends at home (too time consuming mid week after work) and the flavours of vegetables is fabulous doing this. Adding sprigs of rosemary and unpeeled garlic cloves makes it smell heavenly while cooking.

On board I am really conscious of gas usage and running the oven for an hour to roast veggies is something I only indulge in in winter if gas is easy to replace. Not the case at the moment .

I have added your recipe to the index and Sailor G's too.

Thanks to both of you for new ideas.
SWL x
You need a Cobb!
Old 14-12-2014, 22:47   #531

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mandarin & ruby grapefruit marmalade

The second thing winter is for is marmalade making . Citrus is abundant at this time of year. Just be aware you take you life into your own hands making this on board, so take precautions - it is on par to deep frying when it comes to 'dangerous cooking' .

Any citrus can be used singly or mixed: orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit, mandarin, cumquat..... My better half's all time favourite is mandarin and grapefruit so a few batches are being made this month. The jewel like colour and flavour is like nothing found on supermarket shelves.

Back home when making marmalade, I hit on the technique of cooking the fruit first in a microwave before adding sugar and boiling the mix conventionally. This keeps the stovetop cooking time to a bare minimum and therefore stops the marmalade from darkening. On board the boat I now precook the fruit in a pressure cooker and this technique works even better than the microwave.

Compared to conventional recipes this uses significantly more fruit and less sugar (some recipes use double the sugar to liquid ratio!!). The result is an incredibly rich, yet not too sweet mix.

MANDARIN & RUBY GRAPEFRUIT MARMALADE

3-4 ruby grapefruit
approximately 10 mandarins
2 cups water (plus a little more later)
6 cups sugar

For a 3 litre pressure cooker:

- Cut flesh grapefruit flesh out avoiding the white pith and chop in small chunks. Discard the rest.
- Slice mandarin whole, discarding ends and pips - enough to make a total of 900g (2 lb) including the grapefruit
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to pressure
- Turn off heat and let this stand half an hour
- Count out number of cups, making it up to 6 in total with extra water (generally needs about half a cup of extra water)
- Add 6 cups sugar
- Stir until sugar is completely dissolved, then put on high heat and bring to the boil without the lid on
- WATCH CAREFULLY, as it boils over easily. Turn down the heat just enough to stop it frothing over. It is worth playing with it - if the heat is low it will have less tendency to boil over, but it takes longer to reach setting stage and darkens considerably. Anyway, it is a pleasant task - it is warm by the stove and the smell is delicious
- Stir occasionally
- Boil approx 25 min
- Start testing at 20 min by placing a few drops on a cold saucer. When ready, a slight skin forms on the surface and the drops don't run as easily
- Pour into hot jars (pre heated in the oven at 100°C) and seal

The mandarin flesh tends to dissolve giving the gel an intense colour and flavour while the grapefruit stays nearly whole, so when you dollop spoonfuls onto your hot buttered toast or scones you get lovely pink chunks of flesh along with the mandarin rind. Yum .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	93593  

Old 15-12-2014, 01:06   #532
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Mandarin & ruby grapefruit marmalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
The second thing winter is for is marmalade making . Citrus is abundant at this time of year. Just be aware you take you life into your own hands making this on board, so take precautions - it is on par to deep frying when it comes to 'dangerous cooking' .

Any citrus can be used singly or mixed: orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit, mandarin, cumquat..... My better half's all time favourite is mandarin and grapefruit so a few batches are being made this month. The jewel like colour and flavour is like nothing found on supermarket shelves.

Back home when making marmalade, I hit on the technique of cooking the fruit first in a microwave before adding sugar and boiling the mix conventionally. This keeps the stovetop cooking time to a bare minimum and therefore stops the marmalade from darkening. On board the boat I now precook the fruit in a pressure cooker and this technique works even better than the microwave.

Compared to conventional recipes this uses significantly more fruit and less sugar (some recipes use double the sugar to liquid ratio!!). The result is an incredibly rich, yet not too sweet mix.

MANDARIN & RUBY GRAPEFRUIT MARMALADE

3-4 ruby grapefruit
approximately 10 mandarins
2 cups water (plus a little more later)
6 cups sugar

For a 3 litre pressure cooker:

- Cut flesh grapefruit flesh out avoiding the white pith and chop in small chunks. Discard the rest.
- Slice mandarin whole, discarding ends and pips - enough to make a total of 900g (2 lb) including the grapefruit
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to pressure
- Turn off heat and let this stand half an hour
- Count out number of cups, making it up to 6 in total with extra water (generally needs about half a cup of extra water)
- Add 6 cups sugar
- Stir until sugar is completely dissolved, then put on high heat and bring to the boil without the lid on
- WATCH CAREFULLY, as it boils over easily. Turn down the heat just enough to stop it frothing over. It is worth playing with it - if the heat is low it will have less tendency to boil over, but it takes longer to reach setting stage and darkens considerably. Anyway, it is a pleasant task - it is warm by the stove and the smell is delicious
- Stir occasionally
- Boil approx 25 min
- Start testing at 20 min by placing a few drops on a cold saucer. When ready, a slight skin forms on the surface and the drops don't run as easily
- Pour into hot jars (pre heated in the oven at 100°C) and seal

The mandarin flesh tends to dissolve giving the gel an intense colour and flavour while the grapefruit stays nearly whole, so when you dollop spoonfuls onto your hot buttered toast or scones you get lovely pink chunks of flesh along with the mandarin rind. Yum .
I never dun made Marmalade.
Might give it a whirl.
Thanks for that.
Old 15-12-2014, 10:04   #533

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Seaworthy lass you're destroying my will to even think about a diet.
Sounds absolutely scrumptious.
I don't want to teach the teacher, but if I may dare to suggest that when bottling jams/fruit that you use jars with a screw type lids.
Sterilise them with boiling water, place them on a small plate so you don't burn your self and fill up to the top with jam/fruit, screw on the lid tight, turn upside down on a tray/work surface until cool, wash and place in storage, voila, vacuum sealed jars !
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 01:03   #534

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish rambler View Post
I don't want to teach the teacher, but if I may dare to suggest that when bottling jams/fruit that you use jars with a screw type lids.
Sterilise them with boiling water, place them on a small plate so you don't burn your self and fill up to the top with jam/fruit, screw on the lid tight, turn upside down on a tray/work surface until cool, wash and place in storage, voila, vacuum sealed jars !
Thanks for the tip. Better still simmer them though, as it takes time to kill many organisms (and good sterilisation is actually near impossible to achieve on a boat).

I am just lazy now when it comes to jam and simply heat treat the jars. If my better half ever starts posting here on SSSSM you will know why .

For jam and chutney I use old jars that contained other things when purchased (eg olives, honey), with screw on lids that are metal with a rubber seal. With a good seal the lid indents as the contents cool. I know this is not a foolproof way of knowing the contents are fine, but it gives me some peace of mind opening the jar later.

Old 16-12-2014, 01:14   #535

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Spot on Seaworthy lass, same result, just different way of doing it.
Told you I couldn't teach the teacher, but then I a man
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:57   #536

Boat: Formosa/Peterson 46 Cutter

I think it timely to reintroduce this recipe since it is so close to the holidays and we onboard yearn for choc reinforcements! Thank you Seaworthy Lass! Happy holidays to all from the crew of Crazy Horse.
19 and counting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 09:05   #537

Lightbulb re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

helps to specify... the recipe for Choc Mess of course (#15) ! Cheerios!
Old 18-12-2014, 09:21   #538

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 and counting View Post
helps to specify... the recipe for Choc Mess of course (#15) ! Cheerios!
LOL, I was scratching my head reading your first post trying to decipher your cryptic message.

I am having 'choc mess' most mornings . Lately I have been adding a heap of fruit in addition to the banana: a chopped apple, ruby grapefuit and orange. It tastes like chocolate fondu .

SWL x

PS It works just as well and saves time mashing the cocoa into the banana instead of dissolving it into a little boiling water. I sometimes add a teaspoon of ginger powder for an added zing and antioxidants .

Old 18-12-2014, 18:51   #539

This could be vegan, the point is using the roasting bag, when it's cold we warm up the boat baking a dinner in a bag, no wasting water to clean up afterwards and everything we put in the bag comes out nice and tender, flavorful. You can have a lot of fun adding different ingredients and the juices are worth dipping a piece of bread into and savoring.
Super easy.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:25   #540

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sushi (chumaki)

Threads occasionally crop up on the subject of what we miss when cruising. Well, not much here , but sushi and sashimi would have to be near the top of my short list. I overdose each time I am back in Oz.

So you can imagine how thrilled I was to discover basic supplies for the first time in a nearby port. I bought the store out of sushi rice, nori sheets and rice vinegar (plenty of wasabi and soy already on board).

I had a fun afternoon reading everything I could find on making sushi rice, the key to sushi making and its only essential ingredient. I have had three attempts now, each one getting better. Below I share the recipe I am using.

Proportions in recipes vary wildly for the 'sushi vinegar' (some have up to twice the amount of vinegar, or over double the sugar or masses more salt). Experiment and see what you personally like.

I used the rice for chumaki (medium sized cut rolls known as sushi maki). Fillings can be anything you like. I enjoy including the crunch of lebanese cucumber with the creamy texture of avocado, plus salmon or tuna or poached chicken, but vegan fillings are also an option.

The best site I found was:
Sushi Recipes | All the different kinds of recipes that you've been looking for!

SUSHI RICE

2 cups rice
2 cups water
Optional: 2 tbl sake (if using, make this part of the water)
Optional: 4 x 6 inch piece of Kombu, wiped clean

Sushi Vinegar (for above quantity of rice):
½ cup rice vinegar
2 flat tblspn sugar
1 flat tsp salt

1. Mix vinegar and let it stand stirring occasionally so that the sugar has a chance to dissolve.

2. Wash rice:
Pop rice in a bowl and rinse with copious amounts of water. Rice absorbs water very quickly when you start washing, so tip the first couple of lots of water out instantly so the starchy water is not retained. With the next few rinses gently wash the rice by swirling it with your hand. Repeat this several times until the water is nearly clear.

3. Soak rice:
Soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes after rinsing it (long enough for it to turn evenly white, time depends on the rice's age). I read this makes the rice shinier and with a better texture when cooked. No idea if it is the case, but don't knock tradition ,

4. Drain rice:
Tip the rice in a sieve and drain it completely for at least 20 minutes. If you don’t drain thoroughly, you’ll be using more water in cooking and the rice will be mushier. I was in a hurry the last time and simply drained the water and tipped the rice on a paper towel to dry off the excess water. This seemed to work equally well.

5. Cook without opening lid after it comes to the boil:
Combine the rice and water in a heavy-bottom pot (if using kombu add it on top) and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir a couple of times, until the water boils. Then cover the pot and lower the heat to minimum.
Cook covered for 12 minutes. There are plenty of warnings about not opening the lid, so resist peaking.

6. Let sit:
Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for another 10 minutes to steam.

7. Gently flip and fan:
I then tip it on a tray with a Teflon sheet and handling it carefully, spread it out. I've found this allows it to cool quickly without damaging the grains (the traditional way is to use a wooden tub). Don't scrape out the hard rice that dried on the bottom of the pot.
While the rice is still hot, drizzle sushi vinegar evenly over it.
With a non metal spatula very gently flip the rice, continually fanning with your other hand (eg with cardboard or plastic) until cool. If it is windy, do this in the cockpit.
What you are trying to do is coat each grain of rice, then evaporate the excess liquid quickly without cutting or squashing the grains.

8. Leave it on the tray lightly covered at room temperature and use it within an hour or so. Avoid refrigerating it, as the texture alters. Don't even think of saving leftover sushi. Make it, eat it .

The technique I followed for making chumaki (medium sized rolls, 1.5" with 2-3 ingredients) is described here:
Chumaki is the Medium size Rice inside Nori roll. Find out more here.
This quantity of rice was just right for a packet of 5 nori sheets.

My mouth is watering just posting the recipe :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	94975